Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I went in for a state inspection yesterday (Texas) and they had a laundry list of services that they were recommending... Rear brake pads and rotor resurface ($240 per pair), fuel system service (something like $200) and a brake fluid service ($115).
1. - What is the fuel system service?
2. - Does $240 seem reasonable for pads and rotor resurface? Or would I be better off just getting new ones?

I'm a little distrustful of the dealerships here.. I've caught them a few times charging like 25% more for parts through the service department versus the parts department and still trying to charge labor.

Thanks everyone

·
Administrator
3,434 Posts
1: Fuel system service takes money from your pocket into theirs with no benefit to you. If you really want to do a fuel system service go to your local auto parts store and buy Techron and put it in your tank before fueling up.

Next year try another state inspection station.

·
Registered
52 Posts
1. Buy a bottle of BG fuel treatment and add it to a tank of fuel, it works.

2. I would buy new rotors before I paid somebody to resurface. They are about $30 each, although rear's are optional while front should be a mandatory replacement.

·
Banned
806 Posts
So, I went in for a state inspection yesterday (Texas) and they had a laundry list of services that they were recommending... Rear brake pads and rotor resurface ($240 per pair), fuel system service (something like $200) and a brake fluid service ($115).
1. - What is the fuel system service?
2. - Does $240 seem reasonable for pads and rotor resurface? Or would I be better off just getting new ones?

I'm a little distrustful of the dealerships here.. I've caught them a few times charging like 25% more for parts through the service department versus the parts department and still trying to charge labor.

Thanks everyone
You kinda answered your own question. I don't trust a particular dealership here either. I have video documentation of it too.

If you are handy or know someone that is, I personally would buy new rotors. They are fairly cheap anymore, it may depend on the vehicle too, but it can't hurt to look around. I was at a parts store the other day and they thought new rotors would be too costly and were looking at having the parts store machine what they had. They ended up buying new rotors.

As far as fuel system service they will probably just dump an additive in your tank and call it good. You can easily do that yourself. My personal recommendation would be BG44K. You may have to look around to find it.

Brake fluid should be changed every three years, again something you can do yourself.

Looks like I was a little slow in typing.

Your experience is a good reason why I will only have my vehicles inspected at a place that does nothing other than inspections. If they don't do repairs they have nothing to gain by telling you need this or that. I have been going to the same inspection station for close to 30 years.

·
Banned
806 Posts
Does anyone have suggestions on what brands of rotors to buy?
You can go to Hondapartsnow.com and price them, for a factory rotor. You may have to wait a bit to get them. If you're looking for an after market brand, my personal choice would be to go to NAPA and talk to them. Others may feel differently but for a Honda CR-V, I don't think anything high performance is necessary.

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
I bought and installed Centric rotors on my '03 Odyssey and they work just fine.
Good prices online for them. Most likely under $40/apiece which should include the shipping.
Beware of shipping costs!!
Buy quality pads, which I feel are even more important than race quality rotors, for normal driving. Don't forget to clean the slider pins (do not use brake cleaner to clean them) and lube them properly with the proper lube. If you do it yourself, look up some of the great vids and write-ups on this forum and on youtube.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I bought and installed Centric rotors on my '03 Odyssey and they work just fine.
Good prices online for them. Most likely under $40/apiece which should include the shipping.
Beware of shipping costs!!
Buy quality pads, which I feel are even more important than race quality rotors, for normal driving. Don't forget to clean the slider pins (do not use brake cleaner to clean them) and lube them properly with the proper lube. If you do it yourself, look up some of the great vids and write-ups on this forum and on youtube.
Buffalo4
So, when I buy brake pads, do I need to buy an entire pad set like the Honda site sells, or is that just a money grab because you can reuse all of the parts?

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I think you should search (through people you know or work with) for a good honest independent repair shop. I wouldn't trust anything the shop you went to said. The $200 fuel system service will lighten your bank account but you will gain nothing from it. I would wonder how honest they were with your brakes. Brakes are a great source for rip-offs because the possibility of brake problems scare people into spending money they don't need to spend.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Keep your money in your wallet and not the DEALERSHIP. A good online source is Rock Auto, they can usually give you OEM/AFTERMARKET choice, careful with shipping cost, weight is a big factor. JMHO, and good luck.
David g. :cool:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Do you mind me asking what dealership it was? I recently moved and am looking for a Honda dealership... Or ones to stay away from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
776 Posts
So, when I buy brake pads, do I need to buy an entire pad set like the Honda site sells, or is that just a money grab because you can reuse all of the parts?
All business in this country has become a money grab so always keep your guard up !! It sounds as if you haven't tackled these tasks before, I'd suggest finding an honest independent mechanic and ask him if you can supply the parts. Brake pads are usually sold in sets - fronts and rears. All the above advice is sound IMO, our country has become so non confrontational that these folks think they can just walk all over you. Keep asking questions - I'm here to learn as well. Craig

·
Registered
25 Posts
All business in this country has become a money grab so always keep your guard up !! It sounds as if you haven't tackled these tasks before, I'd suggest finding an honest independent mechanic and ask him if you can supply the parts. Brake pads are usually sold in sets - fronts and rears. All the above advice is sound IMO, our country has become so non confrontational that these folks think they can just walk all over you. Keep asking questions - I'm here to learn as well. Craig

Why don't you bring your own eggs, bacon, bread and sausage to favorite restaurant for breakfast. Also, it's called risk in profit, how is the shop supposed to be profitable if you bring your own parts. His profits are down the drain when he has to replace a part that has failed under warranty, he eats the labor not the parts. So what do you propose happens in the case when one of your supplied parts fails.?

I had very loud conversation with the local Chevy dealer several years ago at the parts counter that I purchase parts from and I was complaining about prices. One of the other younger parts guys "overheard" my conversation and said come over here. He setup a cash account in my name and now I get online prices for genuine GM/ACDelco parts for about a 20% less than retail.

The local NAPA the manager hides when I enter the store, he now gives me decent prices. I just recently did the same thing at the Honda dealer, retail for a condenser fan motor was $270.00, my price, $206.00 a few dollars more than Hondapartsnow.com online.

Voicing your concerns is one thing, confrontational gets you nowhere..........

·
Registered
776 Posts
Why would I blame an "Indie" for a part failure when I supplied the part ??? In your own words, you had a "very loud" conversation but confrontation is not the answer ?? Spare me. Craig

·
Registered
24 Posts
I gota laugh at dealerships anymore. They make their money on service. Regardless of what Honda has in their maintenance schedule these dealerships are alway giving you their "recommended services" to keep your Honda in tip top shape. No.... It's to keep their dealership in tip top shape. Use the stealership for your bumper to bumper warrenty issues but find an independent guy you trust to do your maintenance or do it yourself and keep receipts for documentation.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts