Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

What effect did TSB 18-1X4 Oil Dilution Software Update actually have?

• South of 40 and has eliminated my Oil Dilution problem

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • South of 40 and has lessened my Oil Dilution problem

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I’m going to give this Poll thing another shot in spite of having past polls being either shut down or not having any helpful results. Honda admitted to this problem more than two months ago and some people have been able to get the fix for almost as long. So I have a feeling that more than a few people will have an opinion on the effect of the fix.

The problem that TSBs 18-114 & 18-124 both attempt to mitigate is Oil Dilution. As anyone can see, a whole bunch of the threads on this forum are either devoted to this problem or mention it incessantly. Quite frankly the information needed to make a determination on whether or not to rush out to get the fix done is impossibly scattered around.

I am hoping that by conducting a Poll the results will be centralized.

Honda seems to base the availability of this fix on how cold it gets in your area. And since it seems most of the stories of oil climbing above the Orange Monster do come from really cold places like Canada I am dividing the poll geographically. Since almost everyone in the United States and lots of Canadians have heard of Philadelphia Pennsylvania, I have chosen the 40th Parallel as the dividing line. The 40th Parallel runs through Philly and is just north of The Mason Dixon Line for you US history buffs. Plus, I live just north of it.

Now remember that the 40 that occurs in each of the questions is a geographical reference to where you live in relation to the 40th Parallel. It is not percent, degree, age or IQ related in any way.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I would caution those with the fix in place to wait a bit before responding. There are at least a couple of reports from those with the fix suggesting that the observations of success or failure are not immediate. I plan to put a few hundred miles on it before I say anything.

But otherwise I think this is a good poll.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I received the Honda Official Letter regarding oil dilution in the mail yesterday.
Mine is for TSB 18-114 so I will be getting the Oil Dilution Software Fix and the Heat improving hardware.

I am happy to finally get this FIX even if it did take a year and a half from the first time I mentioned the Oil Dilution problem to my dealer.

I am concerned that Honda calls this an emissions fix and puts the onus on the owner to get it corrected ASAP or lose warranty coverage. By doing that they eliminate my freedom of choice.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I received the Honda Official Letter regarding oil dilution in the mail yesterday.
Mine is for TSB 18-114 so I will be getting the Oil Dilution Software Fix and the Heat improving hardware....

This is the first post I've seen that mentions "Heat-Improving Hardware". Since I haven't received any letter, can someone please post details on what hardware is being replaced and what results should we expect post fix?

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bob, you still have freedom of choice. Nobody is forcing you to do it.
Well, they kinda are forcing me to get it done when you consider the warranty threat.
I purchased a Honda Care D80 plan so I don't want to have to eat that.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Bob, you still have freedom of choice. Nobody is forcing you to do it.
Well, they kinda are forcing me to get it done when you consider the warranty threat.
I purchased a Honda Care D80 plan so I don't want to have to eat that.
Everything you do or don’t do to/with your vehicle could be a potential threat to the warranty, so I don’t see this being any different. If I remember correctly , the wording is that they “recommend “, you do it. I didn’t see “Must” do it.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is the first post I've seen that mentions "Heat-Improving Hardware". Since I haven't received any letter, can someone please post details on what hardware is being replaced and what results should we expect post fix?
"Heat-Improving Hardware" would be the A/C Control Unit Replacement portion of TSB 18-114.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Everything you do or don’t do to/with your vehicle could be a potential threat to the warranty, so I don’t see this being any different. If I remember correctly , the wording is that they “recommend “, you do it. I didn’t see “Must” do it.
They also never sent the letter registered or certified. No proof that you even received it.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They also never sent the letter registered or certified. No proof that you even received it.
That is true, but. As soon as I go to my dealer (who is aware of my oil dilution problem) for any reason they will at least inform me of the TSB and put it on the record.

And before it starts, I like my dealer's service department. Their prices are competitive, we are extremely picky so we use our warranty and we live in a state that requires an inspection so if anything is wrong it may be a warranty item. And they have decent coffee and snacks.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Agreed. My dealer also has great coffee, and they bake their own cookies during the day and bring them out nice and hot. Not kidding. It may be a prepackaged slice-n-bake cookie mix, but having a warm cookie with good coffee is all right. :)

·
Registered
629 Posts
just wondering here....all summer there was many threads and owners with the issue,,,but going by the poll there isn't many with the actual issue?? did the fix not work for anyone?......

·
Registered
233 Posts
just wondering here....all summer there was many threads and owners with the issue,,,but going by the poll there isn't many with the actual issue?? did the fix not work for anyone?......
I have the problem, but as I said earlier I will wait until I weigh in on whether the fix worked. If the weather is with me I'll be taking a nice long drive this weekend. I'll feel more confident in making an assessment after getting a good bunch of miles on it post-fix.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I got my letter a couple days ago, will wait until after the holidays to schedule the work. Like someone said, I don't want to be the first. I've been changing my own oil and the level is usually at the high mark and smells of gas. I put in exactly 3.7 quarts measured to the ounce and get around 4.1 out at change time. I checked my oil during a long drive this fall and the gas smell was gone, it was burning off as we know happens. My wife is the primary driver & does short trips usually. I'll get the work done but I'm not optimistic that it will make a difference. I'm hoping we'll get may happy years out of our Vs and our concerns are unfounded. We won't know for sure until either something goes wrong or 10 years pass with the vehicles still running strong. I could plan to replace the darn thing and start looking around but I really like it. My first choice would be another crv and that probably isn't necessary. When I get the fix done I'll keep tabs on things and post my observations.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The weird thing abut the poll is that there are 7 votes, yet no more than 1 vote in any category.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
TTT I am just trying to give this poll some visibility again.

Just like the moderators said, It seems that polls don't work on this forum.

I originally started this poll to help those who had yet to get the fix determine whether the results warranted having it performed. But Honda seems to have made this fix less of a choice and more of a necessity. At least if you wish to keep your warranty in place. I have a Honda Care D80 Plan which I don't want to compromise. So I really have no choice other than getting the fix.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
About this Discussion
30 Replies
14 Participants
BobInPa
Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums
Honda CR-V Owners Club forum, the best hang-out to discuss CVT, Hybrids, trim levels and all things CR-V
Full Forum Listing