Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While changing my distributor I cranked the engine clockwise instead of counter clockwise to find top dead center in cylinder 1 and now the car has no compression. Car just whines away instead of cranking normally. It seems like i may have lost tension in timing belt? Does anyone have any knowledge in this department and what damage if any has been done to my car? Tomorrow I will take the valve cover off and see what the timing belt looks like.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Google returned this as well from honda-tech.com :

PatrickGSR94's Avatar PatrickGSR94 , 05-06-2013 01:30 PM
Re: Engine Rotation Direction Question
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badweather Jim
Is there any harm in rotating the crank the wrong direction?
The crank by itself? Probably not. But if everything is hooked up then you risk problems like timing jumping teeth on the timing belt, and possible piston/valve interference. The T-belt tensioner pulley will not operate properly if the engine is rotated backwards

·
Registered
'98 EX AWD
348 Posts
You asked a question, I gave an educated answer. It's up you on what you want to do with that info, I'm sorry it wasn't what you expected.

As a side note, my RD1 runs correctly after I tore the engine half apart to fix a burnt valve. (y)

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
You asked a question, I gave an educated answer. It's up you on what you want to do with that info, I'm sorry it wasn't what you expected.

As a side note, my RD1 runs correctly after I tore the engine half apart to fix a burnt valve. (y)
?? You make a statement questionable if it was educated as mentioned. I requested source for that statement to back it up , else you aren’t giving correct info and potentially harm some poor person googling his question and comes across your statement that is contrary to info posted otherwise.
You can provide supporting proof that rotating a Gen1 engine in any direction will do no harm as you have stated multiple times. Or not I guess.
Only thing provided so far is ‘certified Cadillac technician’
Keep it adult!

·
Registered
'98 EX AWD
348 Posts
I guess I could start posting all the accolades I've acquired in the 20+ years I've been a mechanic, but I was hoping my word would suffice. You don't have to believe me, I rarely offer advice and ONLY if I'm 100% certain. I am a blue-collar type person who likes to help when I can to those who need it.

Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I guess I could start posting all the accolades I've acquired in the 20+ years I've been a mechanic, but I was hoping my word would suffice. You don't have to believe me, I rarely offer advice and ONLY if I'm 100% certain. I am a blue-collar type person who likes to help when I can to those who need it.

Good luck in your search.
?? Still no evidence to support your 100% knowledge??
Seriously tooting your own horn means nothing here or where you may be working.
It seems to be your opinion that you are unable to back up and potentially can cause damage to others who take your advice.
How about videoing your vehicle with you cranking it in the opposite direction it rotates in and no problem experienced? Then some credibility might be seen. The ‘ certified Cadillac technician ‘ and ‘ 20+ years mechanic ‘ don’t mean much as credibility especially when advice is contrary to anything else found. I am unable to find even one comment saying it is OK to do , especially on a timing belt engine. Of course I didn’t check the Cadillac forums per say, but you never know.
You are going to offer technical advice and when asked to back it up be a professional you say you are and provide the info. Otherwise it just seems as ones own opinion and not fact!

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,554 Posts
?? Still no evidence to support your 100% knowledge??
Seriously tooting your own horn means nothing here or where you may be working.
It seems to be your opinion that you are unable to back up and potentially can cause damage to others who take your advice.
How about videoing your vehicle with you cranking it in the opposite direction it rotates in and no problem experienced? Then some credibility might be seen. The ‘ certified Cadillac technician ‘ and ‘ 20+ years mechanic ‘ don’t mean much as credibility especially when advice is contrary to anything else found. I am unable to find even one comment saying it is OK to do , especially on a timing belt engine. Of course I didn’t check the Cadillac forums per say, but you never know.
You are going to offer technical advice and when asked to back it up be a professional you say you are and provide the info. Otherwise it just seems as ones own opinion and not fact!
You made your point the first time, which is sufficient for other readers to consider and be aware of. Let it go man... if you don't believe him, don't believe him.

It's a discussion forum.. where all manner of experience, opinion, and ideas get shared. It is up to the reader to decide which is right or wrong.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
You made your point the first time, which is sufficient for other readers to consider and be aware of. Let it go man... if you don't believe him, don't believe him.

It's a discussion forum.. where all manner of experience, opinion, and ideas get shared. It is up to the reader to decide which is right or wrong.
We aren’t talking what oil should you use here. It is potentially damaging to ones engine.
Maybe he is right and has proof to back it up. Then fine we all learn something, otherwise admit an opinion and if you do so you can damage your engine.
Someone gives you advice, don’t you want to know if it is correct? Especially if it has the potential to do you harm? Same here. Only asking for something to back up his claim. A valid request, which he still refuses or is unable to provide.
If his statement is incorrect, then possibly be removed so no future person follows it and damages their engine.

·
Registered
30 Posts
This is from just one part in the honda service manual covering to 2000. Don't rotate wrong direction.

View attachment 138986
We aren’t talking what oil should you use here. It is potentially damaging to ones engine.
Maybe he is right and has proof to back it up. Then fine we all learn something, otherwise admit an opinion and if you do so you can damage your engine.
Someone gives you advice, don’t you want to know if it is correct? Especially if it has the potential to do you harm? Same here. Only asking for something to back up his claim. A valid request, which he still refuses or is unable to provide.
If his statement is incorrect, then possibly be removed so no future person follows it and damages their engine.
Well, the Cadillac tech. Was correct. I have 30 years as a technician and 14 of those with Honda. Even though each company achieves a rolling vehicle differently, certain rules apply. One, being cam to crank timing. Once set by tensioner the engine can be rotated either direction just like any gear driven counterparts. It should never change unless there is some issue. I believe what may have happened to yours is either your belt was extremely loose and when turned the other way it jumped time. Or, more than likely the belt was close to shedding teeth and meeting that opposing movement took probably 4 teeth at the crank giving a free spin with no compression at all. Sorry to say, the mistake you made was misinterpreting the Honda directions posted. Those are directions for adjusting a timing belt, where the tensioner is loose. If rotated the wrong direction the tensioner will give and allow it to jump time. With your engine not cranking and starting you should be able replace belt and be okay. Had that have happened at anything over 1800 rpm you'd be replacing valves also. In closing, a well trained technician, whether factory trained or not can and should be listened to on certain subjects without having to have proof.:)

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,554 Posts
Well, the Cadillac tech. Was correct. I have 30 years as a technician and 14 of those with Honda. Even though each company achieves a rolling vehicle differently, certain rules apply. One, being cam to crank timing. Once set by tensioner the engine can be rotated either direction just like any gear driven counterparts. It should never change unless there is some issue. I believe what may have happened to yours is either your belt was extremely loose and when turned the other way it jumped time. Or, more than likely the belt was close to shedding teeth and meeting that opposing movement took probably 4 teeth at the crank giving a free spin with no compression at all. Sorry to say, the mistake you made was misinterpreting the Honda directions posted. Those are directions for adjusting a timing belt, where the tensioner is loose. If rotated the wrong direction the tensioner will give and allow it to jump time. With your engine not cranking and starting you should be able replace belt and be okay. Had that have happened at anything over 1800 rpm you'd be replacing valves also. In closing, a well trained technician, whether factory trained or not can and should be listened to on certain subjects without having to have proof.:)
(y) (y) ... because a simple single thumb from a "like" would incorrectly represent the value of your detailed response here. :)

I read Honda directions he posted the same way you did. It did not say you could not rotate either direction.. only that for the purposes of correctly tensioning the belt.. you must use a clockwise rotation. (y) Totally logical and makes complete sense for a tensioning procedure.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The manual is telling you not to rotate it while you are setting the tension....
This is because you "Could" slip a tooth when the belt goes slack.

The tensioner is designed to be set to max and tightened down with a bolt and then tension pully cannot move aka give slack.

Therefor if the tension pully bolt is tight you can rotate the engine any direction by hand.

Notes from my builds of:
200 hp b18/b16 N/A
250 hp b20/b18 N/A
350 hp b20 turbo
400 hp b16 turbo

But then again. Im just a certified mechanic....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts