Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What happens when you have the Collision mitigation system on, and someone cuts in front of you? What if they crowd you/encroach into your lane (usually a quick horn honk will get them back in their own lane when they drift, just wondering if the crv slams on the breaks?

Also, what happens if you drive by someone who is parked on the side of the road but protruding a little bit into your lane?

I'm trying to figure out under what circumstances the system Slams on the brakes. in the examples I listed above slamming on the brakes could be really dangerous.

I'm still trying to decide between the CRV and the Kia Sorento, I know those two are in slightly different categories. I like the way the Honda drives a lot better but I'm concerned about the Collision mitigation system.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Depends on how fast you are going, and how quickly your car is approaching theirs. It starts by just putting "BRAKE!" in big orange letters in the middle of the dash, progresses to beeping, and if you still don't do anything, it'll hit the brakes for you. (At any of the three stages, it may amplify your braking efforts because people are very often more timid than they should be with the brake pedal.)

I get the "BRAKE!" about once a week, and I think it's beeped at me once. It's never braked for me. It doesn't seem to care about lane-drifters at all, unless they are being really sloppy.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I have had the "BRAKE" light come on a few times due to people cutting in front of the car. It has not applied the brakes yet however so I can't speak for that. I do know that when a [email protected] college student just stepped out in front of us (lost in his i-pod music, talking on his phone or pot dreams..who knows) the BRAKE warning came on real quick! So, I know a human size creature will set it off. As for a cat or dog....don't know and hope not to find out anytime soon.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I've had the brake like come on and the car stop itself for a car that cut in front of me. I was impressed. I think I still would have applied the brakes in time, but I'm not sure. The issue is being rear ended, and I'm really just concerned about that when the car brakes for animals. I got to think this was a tough design issue for Honda. I don't know what the computer braking system is designed to do in this regard.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Maybe they can add an "animal lover" setting for people that want to brake for small animals...

Seriously, though, there are some situations where the car cannot make a better choice than a human, whether through lack of sensors or through decisions made in the software, and not being able to override the car's decision will be a problem. Consider a scenario where there is a smallish object in front of you but a semi bearing down from behind at 20mph or more faster than your speed, with no room for you to change lanes or go on the shoulder. If the object is a raccoon, the better choice is probably to chance hitting it rather than being seriously injured by the semi. If the object is a baby, most people would probably stop. If the car detects that object, it's going to stop regardless.

·
Registered
38 Posts
CMBS didn't see three deer that jumped out in front of my CRV on a clear night in pitch black conditions. Driving 70 late at night in Texas heading back from Big Bend National Park. From the right, out of nowhere, a deer darted out in front of the CRV. I slammed on the brakes, swerved to the right to avoid the deer and barely missed two others that were about to follow the first. There was no warning or BRAKE!! notification... On a different day someone did slam on their brakes in front of me and I went around them on the shoulder - and as I was about to pass them, BRAKE!! lit up, beeped and the CRV did slam on the brakes until I passed the car.

CMBS will definitely slow the car down quickly if it detects something. Cars that cut right in front of you don't appear to set off the system. Cars that are a carlength or greater in front of you that suddenly slow down - or that you are accelerating towards will trigger CMBS - however in my experience if you have your foot on the brake it doesn't trigger - even if you are coming up on the other car at a high rate of speed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I intend to turn off the collision mitigation system before I get in my CR-V again.

Yesterday, I’m driving around 35 miles per hour when the road surface abruptly changed. That caused the vehicle to slam on the brakes. Fortunately nobody was tailing me, but I won’t let that happen again. Truly a terrifying experience.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Maybe they can add an "animal lover" setting for people that want to brake for small animals...

Seriously, though, there are some situations where the car cannot make a better choice than a human, whether through lack of sensors or through decisions made in the software, and not being able to override the car's decision will be a problem. Consider a scenario where there is a smallish object in front of you but a semi bearing down from behind at 20mph or more faster than your speed, with no room for you to change lanes or go on the shoulder. If the object is a raccoon, the better choice is probably to chance hitting it rather than being seriously injured by the semi. If the object is a baby, most people would probably stop. If the car detects that object, it's going to stop regardless.
I don't think that would work. I love animals, but I think it's critical that we don't slam on the brakes for a small animal. Slamming on the brakes is dangerous to the people behind us. Bottom line--if running over the animal won't damage the car you are safer to do so than suddenly braking or quickly switching lanes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I don't think that would work. I love animals, but I think it's critical that we don't slam on the brakes for a small animal. Slamming on the brakes is dangerous to the people behind us. Bottom line--if running over the animal won't damage the car you are safer to do so than suddenly braking or quickly switching lanes.
So wrong, I know.

Road Lane Curb Sidewalk Thoroughfare

·
Registered
100 Posts
This feature worked PERFECTLY for me in this exact situation a couple of weeks ago. I didn't even see the car approaching (quickly) and the CR-V slammed on the brakes. Even though my heart was racing like you wouldn't believe, I managed to smile largely behind this, I was grateful!

(And, yes, DKC76, as a mom to one precious 8 year old cat, you were wrong as two left shoes! :))

·
Registered
32 Posts
Had my 2017 CRV Touring for just one month and 2000 miles on it and was rear ended. I just changed the lane to take the exit from the highway and one of the cars from the left lane cut another car in front of me to take the exit lane at the last moment and the guy in front of me slammed on the brakes to avoid collision. I did not get a chance to apply the brakes and CMCB system brought the CRV to a full stop. I did not hit the car in front of me but I was hit by Ford Mustang behind me. My son was with me and he told me after the accident that this car was 5.0 boss trim with California plate number and the driver of Ford Mustang was changing settings on his phone just before accident happened. Another Chevy Camaro driver behind Ford Mustang was able to stop. Luckily no one was hurt and my CRV will spend another two weeks in the body shop. I am going to install dual channel dash cam as soon as I get my CRV back.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I intend to turn off the collision mitigation system before I get in my CR-V again.

Yesterday, I’m driving around 35 miles per hour when the road surface abruptly changed. That caused the vehicle to slam on the brakes. Fortunately nobody was tailing me, but I won’t let that happen again. Truly a terrifying experience.
You have to turn it off everytime you start the car.

·
Registered
882 Posts
It will not activate for animals or people that are less than three feet tall.
Unfortunately owners probably need to know that performance spec in terms of human size. Now it will only be a matter of time before the ACLU and ambulance chasers target these systems and drive costs much higher.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts

I agree, just too many variables involved for a computer to come up with a better solution than a good driver. I have had several close calls over the years and a few of them involved me letting go of the breaks and steering out of the problem or picking the lesser of two bad outcomes. A computer has no idea which bad outcome to choose. Kinda of reminds me of the Movie "I,Robot".

Rob

·
Registered
385 Posts
It's a great feature and a case where the computer thinks MUCH faster than even a good driver can. It doesn't 'jam on the brakes', but does quickly slow the vehicle down if you avoid the warning beeps and don't tap the brakes to ack that you are aware. I believe it prevented a few potential accidents for me on my 2015 tourings. Once when a homeless guy asking for money stepped/fell right out into my path (with another lane beside me with cars, and i wouldn't have been able to swerve), once a guy came out of a side street inches from me and didn't realize I was coming, and another when the car ahead jammed on its brakes because someone went through a red light. Come to think of it, it slowed me down slightly more than once when idiots texting and driving creeped into my lane on highway. Other than being rear ended by someone slower than the computer, I cant think of any drawbacks to having this safety feature on all the time.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.