Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My Android Auto experience on my '17 has been a disaster. Constant freezing, skipping, ignoring, and black screens. It is much more of a driving distraction than just not having it at all.

Being the type of product it is, it is very difficult to pin fault on any piece of it. Is it the cell service provider, phone, Android Auto app, USB cable, car wiring, car head unit, or head unit software? There are almost as many parties to deal with as there are parts to the system.

Anyway, I have to eliminate "my" end of the issue before I can expect the service department to try anything. So, I've tried different USB cables with no luck. I don't really have access to other Android phones to try, so I want to hear from anyone who has a great Android Auto experience in their 2017.

What kind of Android phone do you have?

I'll start:

I have a Verizon Moto E from 2015. It runs Lollipop (5.1). If the problem is the phone, then this phone doesn't work with AA in my '17 CR-V.

-edit: 5.1 is Lollipop, not Marshmallow, duh.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My experience with Android Auto so far is good with my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge on T-Mobile. I did a 500 mile trip last weekend and Android auto was stable all the time. I used Navigation, Spotify/Google music, phone calls etc and all worked well except the occasional loss of signal coverage in certain areas which is due to T-Mobile network. One feature I liked was it shows turn directions on the instrument panel when you approach the turn, otherwise whatever you had there. Phone never was hot and charged fully after connected for around 3 hours.
One gripe I have is though, I dont think we can connect another bluetooth device while a smartphone is connected. So my only choices are the apps available in Android Auto especially for music.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I have a Nexus 5X running Nougat. Seems to work pretty well. If I were buying a replacement phone now, I'd go with a used Nexus 6P. Alternatively, hold out for the rumored US release of the Android One line. The reason for this is a Google-sponsored phone is more-likely to work with bleeding-edge Android features than rarely-updated 3rd-party phones. (The Google-sponsored phones receive prompt security and feature updates.)

The only glitch I've noticed is the Google Maps app keeps wanting to redraw from scratch once a minute or so, and this process takes about a second.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks sirwired. Hadn't heard about the Android One. The Pixel is the big Google phone right now, but I have read people having issues with it on Android Auto. Not sure if that was related to the USB-C or what, and also I think they are dealing with an aftermarket head unit. Just too many variables.

I'm encouraged to know that Android Auto can be functional. I was starting to rip my hair out...

·
Registered
190 Posts
I'm using a samsung note 4 edge on Verizon. So far, AA has worked great. Love just saying 'ok, google' and saying where to navigate to, which music service to play or who to call/text and speaking out what i want texted. I haven't really used nav much as I've just been doing my reg routine to and from work, etc and no trips yet since I've had my car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Using Nexus 5X Android 7.1.1 Nougat on T-Mobile. Pretty solid experience. No crashes at all, decent responsiveness, voice control works nicely.

·
Registered
679 Posts
One feature I liked was it shows turn directions on the instrument panel when you approach the turn, otherwise whatever you had there.
That's awesome. Apple CarPlay supports that, but for some reason my 2017 CR-V Touring only shoes turn indicators on the instrument panel using the native Garmin navigation,

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Thanks sirwired. Hadn't heard about the Android One. The Pixel is the big Google phone right now, but I have read people having issues with it on Android Auto. Not sure if that was related to the USB-C or what, and also I think they are dealing with an aftermarket head unit. Just too many variables.

I'm encouraged to know that Android Auto can be functional. I was starting to rip my hair out...
I didn't mention the pixel simply because I figured if you were on a Moto E now, the Pixel would probably be a bit more than you usually spend on a phone...

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I didn't mention the pixel simply because I figured if you were on a Moto E now, the Pixel would probably be a bit more than you usually spend on a phone...
Indeed, that is the case. I just don't want to get a new phone specifically to fix the problem, only to find out that I cheaped out again and it still isn't great.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm glad I started this thread. Trying to Google for phones related to Android Auto, you mostly get people complaining about theirs not working, or the stock answer from Android (that anything with Lollipop or higher is compatible). It's the nature of forums, I suppose, but not helpful to someone looking for what does work. Until now, I just figured Android Auto was not that great for anyone.

·
Registered
7 Posts
2017 CR-V LX Canadian.

Galaxy S4 Android 5.0.1 - "OK Google" functionality works, but does not work very well for playing albums. I try to get it to play albums (have several AA-compatible apps, doesn't work for any, including Google Play Music). Navigation functionality is near flawless, yet sluggish.

I have tried using my girlfriend's S7 with 6.0+ and it works much, much better. I would suggest a phone with a newer than the bare minimum (5.x.x) Android version, and something more powerful than the S4.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I should also add that I am unable to reply to/send Facebook messages via Messanger. This is a feature that is allegedly supposed to work.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
FYI, I just thought I would update on this. I bought some of the recommended USB cables, and found that things work tremendously better for my Moto E on this cable. It has fixed at least 50% of my issues anyway. The rest of the problems appear to really be phone-related because now it works about the same as it does on just the Android Auto app (i.e. not plugged into the CR-V).

Now I am able to use navigation with few problems, but I must not try to do anything else in parallel. If I try to stream audio along with nav, or do voice texting with nav, all bets are off. The little phone's mind is blown and I get to start over from scratch. I can listen to the car radio, though, and it patches the phone nav through.

Still planning on finding one of the phones you all have recommended in order to have the full experience.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My Android Auto experience on my '17 has been a disaster. Constant freezing, skipping, ignoring, and black screens. It is much more of a driving distraction than just not having it at all.

Being the type of product it is, it is very difficult to pin fault on any piece of it. Is it the cell service provider, phone, Android Auto app, USB cable, car wiring, car head unit, or head unit software? There are almost as many parties to deal with as there are parts to the system.

Anyway, I have to eliminate "my" end of the issue before I can expect the service department to try anything. So, I've tried different USB cables with no luck. I don't really have access to other Android phones to try, so I want to hear from anyone who has a great Android Auto experience in their 2017.

What kind of Android phone do you have?

I'll start:

I have a Verizon Moto E from 2015. It runs Lollipop (5.1). If the problem is the phone, then this phone doesn't work with AA in my '17 CR-V.

-edit: 5.1 is Lollipop, not Marshmallow, duh.
I am having the exact same issues. The GPS always freezes and disappears. If I get a text I am told I have a text but cannot get to it AND then my GPS disappears. The system is basically useless.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Everything seems to work well with my Galaxy S5 (Verizon service). Before you get too diagnostic with this problem, get a friend to link a different Android phone to your system to see if you get the same problems.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts