Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone knew what the dealer invoice price for a 2016 Touring was, and if anyone had any experience using USAA Car Buying Services

Thank You

·
Registered
12 Posts
Edmunds shows 2016 Touring for the following:
AWD 31,196
FWD 29,979
then add $900 destination charge

based on the forum posts, several people got quite a bit below invoice.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Dealer invoice is meaningless, you also need to know holdback and spiff (so called factory-to-dealer cash incentive) but these numbers are not public data. The invoice itself varies by dealer based on their speed,volume and amount of new car sales, inventory, previous quarter performance, sales incentives pending and paid and many other factors. On a 32,000 car, dealer true cost may be 6000-8000 below MSRP after all other financials are calculated. It also matters how the item is financed as money again may be returned to the dealer in exchange for a loan sale.

The best car deals are done by not visiting dealer, no phone calls, no test drives, sending out an offer via email to multiple dealers (perhaps a list of 8 or 10) and then slowly, over a month or two, reducing that list to 2. All of this can be done via email and until the car is picked up, no phone calls or visits are needed.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Dealer invoice is meaningless, you also need to know holdback and spiff (so called factory-to-dealer cash incentive) but these numbers are not public data. The invoice itself varies by dealer based on their speed,volume and amount of new car sales, inventory, previous quarter performance, sales incentives pending and paid and many other factors. On a 32,000 car, dealer true cost may be 6000-8000 below MSRP after all other financials are calculated. It also matters how the item is financed as money again may be returned to the dealer in exchange for a loan sale.

The best car deals are done by not visiting dealer, no phone calls, no test drives, sending out an offer via email to multiple dealers (perhaps a list of 8 or 10) and then slowly, over a month or two, reducing that list to 2. All of this can be done via email and until the car is picked up, no phone calls or visits are needed.
I completely agree that the online negotiators are far more aggressive, and that 'invoice' is just a fantasy figure. I bought a pair of 2015 tourings recently, from different dealers, and my best offer was a $4282 discount from MSRP. First was negotiated, second dealer (which had the second color I wanted, first dealer did not) simply looked at the sales invoice from #1 and honored/beat it slightly.

The car buying web services will usually get you just above invoice, but I believe they also get a cut of it too. You can do better on your own, IMO.

If you're pre-approved for financing, searching multiple dealers for best bottom line (below invoice) price, and serious about making a purchase within 48 hours, tell them so. That will help them get aggressive to earn your business, so you don't go to their competitor. Most will also beat any competitors price by $200 or so. If the offer is about $1000 below invoice, including destination, you're doing OK IMO.

Comparing them all on equal grounds is also important. Base price + destination. Some may try to confuse the issue with up sell (dealer added) items and third party products added to the car, marked up quite a bit.

Doing your homework before contacting them is also important, IMO. Edmunds.com has a search tool that lets you look at inventory at all dealerships, so you can find the trim level and color that you want. Pick one out online :) In my limited experience, the dealers with the most inventory seemed to be the most aggressive with pricing. Dealers with 400 cars sitting there and 3 locations had the best prices, when I was shopping 6 weeks ago. There were also dealers who offered very attractive pricing for cars they didnt have in stock or available to them, just to get me to come in. Doing your homework first to know what is on their lot is useful, IMO.

The best deals will be found on the leftover 2015's, which are identical to 2016. But colors and stock may be getting scarce.

Good luck! You'll love your new v!

Rhody

1 - 4 of 4 Posts