Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
I've owned a '99 CRV since about 2008. It now has 168,000 km or about 100,000 miles on it. I bought it for my wife due to its reputation as the most reliable car on the planet and so far it has lived up to its reputation. I am curious what big problems are common on older CRVs that will eventually make the car unreliable. She uses it for the daily school run and it is our only car, so we rely on it a great deal. Since it does the school runs it gets used for a lot of short trips and in-town driving, not many highway miles. I do all the regular maintenance as normal, changed the timing belt at about 70,000 miles or whatever it was. What is the next big thing I have to look our for?

After scrolling through the forums it seems the electric door locks fail after awhile (which is starting to happen on ours). Other than that the digital clock has died but that is those are the only problems we have.

It is a 2WD so no 4WD diff problems. Also, we live in a dry, warm climate, so no salt or harsh winters to worry about.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
I only owned my 2000 CRV for 11 years before it was written off in an accident, so I can't speak any longer term than that. I imagine the fuel pump would eventually need replacing in the rusted out gas tank, since it's about 16 years old now, and possibly suspension wear. Oh and possibly rear brakes drums should probably need work, although mine were still original after the 11 years, and I towed a camping trailer.

I also hear the digital clock stops working.....

Those gen. 1's were pretty bulletproof!

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
My 2000 has 215,000 miles on it and I bought it around 7 years ago with around 165,000 on it. You already changed the timing belt and that was probably your biggest problem. Did you adjust the vavles too? I drive in Ohio so get lots of salt and snow and stuff.

I have had the radiator (plus hoses and thermostat), upper control arms, lower ball joints, engine mounts, drivers window motor (needs passenger real soon), stabilizer links and bushings front and rear, brake lines for rear, fuel and evap lines for rear, brakes, plugs, wires, fuel filter, catalytic converter and some exhaust parts (rust), and distributor (bad bearings).

Previous owner had the timing belt, steering rack (rust & leak) and driveshaft (bad bearing) replaced.

Original fuel pump and tank are still holding strong.

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Other maint items might be:
ATF drain and fill
Cabin air filter (if it has one)
Brake fluid flush
Coolant drain and fill
Power Steering fluid flush
Radiator hoses
Thermostat
V-groove NGK spark plugs
Dist cap and rotor
Spark plug wires
PCV valve
Just the basic stuff, overall. Many forget to do the brake fluid and coolant.
Great vehicle, overall.
Buffalo4

1 - 4 of 4 Posts