Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I have a 2016 Honda CR-V. It has almost 54k miles. I did the last oil change back in October. The dashboard says oil is still at 40% quality. The other day when I checked the oil level on the dipstick, it showed oil had dropped to slightly above the LOW mark. So I put in about 1/4 qt of oil, and oil level went back up. So, is it normal for the CR-V to burn 1/4 - 1/2 qt between oil changes? Thanks.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Every engine will behave a little differently when it comes to oil. My 2009, and now this 2014 Honda CRV's do not use any oil at all between changes which occur around the 9,000 mile mark.

You need to gather more information about oil usage in your car before you worry. Check it a few dozen more times and make sure you check the oil in the same location of your garage or driveway, and at similar oil temperatures. Also make sure you wipe off the dipstick and reinsert it before taking a reading. Check to see if the dipstick is fully inserted and not hanging up part way in.

·
Registered
2016 CR-V EX-L
163 Posts
I agree with with the previous poster's comments. Oil use can vary from one vehicle to another. Back in the days when oil changes were typically being done based upon mileage (3,000 to 5,000 between changes) it was generally thought that having to add a quart of oil between changes was in the normal range. You didn't indicate how many miles had been covered so you might want to factor this in to the equation.

The other component when a vehicle starts to require that oil be added in between changes is to inspect for leaks. My speculation you have already considered this but this is also a consideration.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Shoot, 'back in the day', in some cars you would almost need to add a quart at every fill up!!! ?

Reactions: agentl074

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi everyone. I have a 2016 Honda CR-V. It has almost 54k miles. I did the last oil change back in October. The dashboard says oil is still at 40% quality. The other day when I checked the oil level on the dipstick, it showed oil had dropped to slightly above the LOW mark. So I put in about 1/4 qt of oil, and oil level went back up. So, is it normal for the CR-V to burn 1/4 - 1/2 qt between oil changes? Thanks.
I also have a 2016 and 1/2 qt btwn changes seems normal.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I also have a 2016 and 1/2 qt btwn changes seems normal.
My car has 2100 miles since last oil change. I"m not sure if I put enough oil the last time, I was afraid of over filling. I'm thinking of switching to 5w-30 oil for less consumption. I"m in Southern California, 0w-20 oil is not necessary here.

·
Registered
521 Posts
You will be OK with 5W30 as you will also be OK with the Honda specification 0W20. After I change oil I always drive it for a short trip, then pull into the same spot, shut her off and after hour or so I check the level. Then adjust if I need to. Then once a month or so I check the oil the same way. Pull into the same spot, cool down and check. I suspect you will find the oil consumption will be OK.

Good luck!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You will be OK with 5W30 as you will also be OK with the Honda specification 0W20. After I change oil I always drive it for a short trip, then pull into the same spot, shut her off and after hour or so I check the level. Then adjust if I need to. Then once a month or so I check the oil the same way. Pull into the same spot, cool down and check. I suspect you will find the oil consumption will be OK.

Good luck!
Thanks for the input. I'm also part of a Honda Accord forum, because I own one, and they complain about Hondas consuming oil in general, with any of their cars. I'm guessing it's the thin oil that Honda recommends, that will burn easier. Maybe I'll do 5w-20 instead.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Gotta remember, in perspective, forums normally only see owners that have a problem comment. The vast majority of owners, who don't either have a problem, or think they don't have a problem, are never seen. Honda is selling over 350,000 Honda CRV's every year in Canada and USA! I've owned 2 Accords and 2 CRV's and none of them have used any unusual amounts of oil, and all of our past Honda's have gone 120,000+ miles before being traded for the next one.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
On my next oil change, I'm going to put the entire 5 quarts into the engine. I buy my oil in 5 quart containers. I understand that the oil capacity for my CR-V is about 4.5 quarts. An extra half quart shouldn't be an issue, right?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Mobil one makes a 0w-30 that might be a good choice. Good and thin at startup and a bit more viscous during running. I don’t support Mobil one anymore because of some shenanigans they pulled on rebates a year back but I do agree that 0w-20 seems kind of thin. On the other hand, I’m just old schooled and remember when 10w-40 was what we used!

·
Banned
7 Posts
My 2016 AWD drank 1/2 quart 0w20 oil approximately every 5K miles. I do oil change myself and I check oil level frequently, this is my first car that consumes oil of such magnitude at around 50K miles, I guess this is a characteristic of Honda's Earth Dream engines. For those who have their oil changes done at the dealers or other shops, they always put in the entire 5 quarts, so it is not noticeable to most CRV owners.

·
Registered
521 Posts
My 2016 AWD drank 1/2 quart 0w20 oil approximately every 5K miles. I do oil change myself and I check oil level frequently, this is my first car that consumes oil of such magnitude at around 50K miles, I guess this is a characteristic of Honda's Earth Dream engines. For those who have their oil changes done at the dealers or other shops, they always put in the entire 5 quarts, so it is not noticeable to most CRV owners.
THe Honda dealer I take my Honda to doesn't use individual quarts. They dial in the amount for the engine type, and pump in the correct amount. I always check the oil level and check for leaks when I get back home and have never found it high or low.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I do not regard a pint of oil over five thousand miles as excessive to be honest but everyone has different expectations. One thing about oil consumption is that car owners are far too cautious when the get a new car and molly coddle the thing. Engines need to be run relatively hard from new not eased about the place glazing up the bores which is going to cause oil to be burned. Many engineers suggest that thrashing the engine is more acceptable than soft soaping them!

·
Registered
87 Posts
My 2015 CRV with 90000 miles. Oil change about 8 months ago. Today , I checked oil level and I see the oil just right at minimum mark. Just wonder the amount of oil burn considered excessive?
Thank you.

·
Premium Member
2018 EX-L fwd
752 Posts
Some more info, please.

What % did your MM say before your change @ 90K?
How many miles have you driven since your last OC @ 90K?
Notice any drips / drops on your driveway / garage floor?
When you accelerate from a stop, can you see the car behind you in your rear view mirror?

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
My 2015 CRV with 90000 miles. Oil change about 8 months ago. Today , I checked oil level and I see the oil just right at minimum mark. Just wonder the amount of oil burn considered excessive?
Thank you.
Some manufacturers claim a quart per 1,000 miles is acceptable. I'm not certain what Honda considers "normal".

·
Registered
87 Posts
15% when oil change and driven about 5000 miles since oil change. No leak at all. No smoke from exhaust pipe.

·
Registered
880 Posts
A quart every 5k is hardly excessive, but I hope you check your oil frequently enough that such things aren’t a surprise. You may want to make sure you’re using a premium oil and perhaps change it more frequently than the MM requires. Stepping up to a 5w-30 wouldn’t be a bad idea, nor moving to a “high-mileage” oil (e.g. Valvoline MaxLife).

·
Registered
91 Posts
A quart every 5k is hardly excessive, but I hope you check your oil frequently enough that such things aren’t a surprise. You may want to make sure you’re using a premium oil and perhaps change it more frequently than the MM requires. Stepping up to a 5w-30 wouldn’t be a bad idea, nor moving to a “high-mileage” oil (e.g. Valvoline MaxLife).
+1

1 - 20 of 34 Posts