Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We purchased our 2014 CR-V used from a Honda dealer. A few weeks after buying it, it started making some engine noise. We decided to take it to our independent mechanic to get it checked out. Coincidentally, I happened to be the one driving it there, and while headed down a steep hill and braking, the oil pressure light would flicker on.

Turns out they must have changed the oil at the dealer and failed to refill it.

Long story short, the dealer did official leak tests and blah blah blah found nothing wrong. No kidding? So there wasn't really anything for the dealer to fix, and there wasn't any obvious consequence to this bit of stupidity.

Of course this caused some damage, probably I assume in the form of shortened engine life. So it shaves 25,000 miles off the total life of the engine, big deal: lucky for the dealer they aren't going to be there. I'm guessing anyway. I don't know what the consequence of this will be, and since there isn't any obvious issue (yet) it's challenging to demand the dealer do anything in particular.

It's been a year+ now. I can say that at 70k, it's burning a quart of oil in less than a 1,000 miles. Apparently that is close enough to be considered normal for an engine with that many miles. Or so I am told...

Is this true? How much oil consumption is normal? Is there a graph or stats on this somewhere? Before I consider buying anything else from this dealer (small town, one dealer with nearly all the brands) I'd like to know just how indignant to be. "Hey take $10k off this next car since the last experience was so swell!" or something like that.

·
Registered
331 Posts
There is no correct oil usage chart. Normal and acceptable is up to the manufacturer to determine.

I will ask though, you bought a car and didn’t check the oil prior to buying it? You would have known if it was low or not before handing over any cash.

Checking the oil frequently is part of owning a car.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Agreed, no two engines are exactly alike. But IME, burning that amount of oil at that mid-life engine age is excessive.

My last vehicle had 196K miles on it and it did not burn/use/drip one drop of oil.

·
Registered
200 Posts
2012 CRV 192,000 kms and 2005 Mazda 3 265,000 kms no oil loss between changes done at 8000 km intervals. The last car I had that burned / lost oil was a 1965 Pontiac and that was 50 years ago.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
That is excessive for that many miles. Mine has 245k miles and burns about that much because changing valve guide seals is a project I'm too lazy to do until I get a spare vehicle to drive so I'm not rushed.

Anyone who says their car uses "not a drop" between oil changes is lying. Every engine out there uses some, half qt between oil changes is about what it should be on a low mileage engine.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
haef,
You should check the PCV valve for free movement and either clean it or put in a new one.
Very easy to do yourself and PCV valves are not very expensive, Under $30.
Worth checking it to see if it is working properly. Google for ways to check it without removing it from the engine.
Does you engine LEAK oil or does it smoke and actually burn oil?\
Check out some of the sites mentioned in the link below:
Buffalo4

·
Registered
200 Posts
That is excessive for that many miles. Mine has 245k miles and burns about that much because changing valve guide seals is a project I'm too lazy to do until I get a spare vehicle to drive so I'm not rushed.

Anyone who says their car uses "not a drop" between oil changes is lying. Every engine out there uses some, half qt between oil changes is about what it should be on a low mileage engine.

Nice comment.....unfortunately not correct.....I check my oil every 2 days ….parked in the same location and always cold engine. Oil level never changes.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts

Pretty bold statement. I check the oil in both of my Honda's once a week and the level stays in the exact same spot between oil changes. The CRV has 85k miles and the Pilot has 10k miles. So, I would say that not every vehicle uses oil since I got 7,500 miles between oil changes and the oil stays in the exact same spot on the dipstick the whole time.

Reactions: intruder1500

·
Registered
331 Posts
Both sides of this disagreement are correct in their own way.

Oil has volatile ingreadients in it, as time goes by they evaporate. This lowers the oil level. Also very small amounts of oil are left on the cylinder walls for lubrication, some of this oil enters the combustion chamber and is burned.

On the other hand, these amounts are frequently so small that they can’t be measured on the dip stick. This is why someone saying it’s always at the same point on the dipstick is correct as far they can tell.

And, in some instances, there can be oil consumed, but there can also be fuel dilution, so the two can offset one another to a certain degree.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There is no correct oil usage chart. Normal and acceptable is up to the manufacturer to determine.

I will ask though, you bought a car and didn’t check the oil prior to buying it? You would have known if it was low or not before handing over any cash.

Checking the oil frequently is part of owning a car.
Thanks for the input. Yes, checking the oil is part of owning a car. And if we had checked the oil before buying it, we would have known this.

But yup, my wife (and it doesn't matter that who it was) didn't check the oil before buying. Come to think of it, you are the first person I've ever heard of doing that. Do you pull the wheels and check the brakes too? Maybe crawl under there and check the diff fluid level?

Maybe if I was buying it from a private party.... nah, because then it's going to a mechanic for a full pre-purchase inspection anyway. But when I buy a car from a dealer I never check the oil while it's sitting on the lot. Especially after they have handed me their 40 point inspection report that includes oil change having been done.

Perhaps the reasonable level of attention-paying that should have happened is checking the oil when she got her first gas fill up. Even then, I can't blame her for not doing that with her fresh-from-the-shop car. Even when she came home and mentioned a bit of engine clatter my brain did not immediately go "there's probably barely any oil in it." But after driving it a bit, and catching the oil light flicker, then we knew.

If it makes you feel better, she's gotten herself some Jesus about checking oil when gassing up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Normal and acceptable seems to be whatever serves the manufacturer's best interest. Raccoon's linked Consumer Reports article does a good job of sorting through the arguments, real & surreal, plus their empirical stats are interesting. Even for 9 y.o. vehicles, it's still less 5% of respondents reporting the need to add oil between changes. Adding oil in less than 1k miles should not be a thing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the link!

"Certain Audi and BMW cars’ standards state that a quart burned every 600 to 700 miles is reasonable."

It's amazing what some of the manufacturers are willing to call "normal" with a straight face. This really sounds like they've got massive issues and totally want to cover their butts. Goes along with the phrase "They all do that!" And Click & Clack's great response "Then they are all broken. Let's fix mine first!"

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
An aside:

Fortunately Honda's are supposed to be very very good at surviving low/no oil incidents. Subaru's are at the other end of the spectrum, where no oil is guaranteed to wreak havoc.

Glad my ADD kid is driving our old Accord.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
haef,
You should check the PCV valve for free movement and either clean it or put in a new one.
Very easy to do yourself and PCV valves are not very expensive, Under $30.
Worth checking it to see if it is working properly. Google for ways to check it without removing it from the engine.
Does you engine LEAK oil or does it smoke and actually burn oil?\
Check out some of the sites mentioned in the link below:
Buffalo4
Good point. Thanks for the suggestion!

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Thanks for the link!

"Certain Audi and BMW cars’ standards state that a quart burned every 600 to 700 miles is reasonable."

It's amazing what some of the manufacturers are willing to call "normal" with a straight face. This really sounds like they've got massive issues and totally want to cover their butts. Goes along with the phrase "They all do that!" And Click & Clack's great response "Then they are all broken. Let's fix mine first!"
Different manufacturers have different maintenance philosophies and design accordingly.

German vehicles actually appear to be designed to require that they be "actively maintained" by the owners. :p The Audis and BMWs burning oil right off the sales floor is pretty well legend by now. And BMW has removed the dipsticks and replaced them with an electronic indicator of oil level on the instrument cluster. Most of the Japanese manufacturers go in the opposite direction.. making maintenance less burden on the owners over time as they continue to refine designs.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Thanks for the input. Yes, checking the oil is part of owning a car. And if we had checked the oil before buying it, we would have known this.

But yup, my wife (and it doesn't matter that who it was) didn't check the oil before buying. Come to think of it, you are the first person I've ever heard of doing that. Do you pull the wheels and check the brakes too? Maybe crawl under there and check the diff fluid level?

Maybe if I was buying it from a private party.... nah, because then it's going to a mechanic for a full pre-purchase inspection anyway. But when I buy a car from a dealer I never check the oil while it's sitting on the lot. Especially after they have handed me their 40 point inspection report that includes oil change having been done.

Perhaps the reasonable level of attention-paying that should have happened is checking the oil when she got her first gas fill up. Even then, I can't blame her for not doing that with her fresh-from-the-shop car. Even when she came home and mentioned a bit of engine clatter my brain did not immediately go "there's probably barely any oil in it." But after driving it a bit, and catching the oil light flicker, then we knew.

If it makes you feel better, she's gotten herself some Jesus about checking oil when gassing up.
Yes, I check the oil, even from a dealer. Read the threads on “dealer overfilled the oil”, there are many. The dealer has messed it up several times on our Subaru, so I just went back to doing it myself.

And I do look at the brakes, sometimes just peaking through the wheels gets you a good view of the rotors.

I don’t go as far as checking diff, unless it being inspected before purchase.

Those motors do suffer from low oil levels, the timing chain and VTC can need replacing.

·
Registered
27 Posts
We purchased our 2014 CR-V used from a Honda dealer. A few weeks after buying it, it started making some engine noise. We decided to take it to our independent mechanic to get it checked out. Coincidentally, I happened to be the one driving it there, and while headed down a steep hill and braking, the oil pressure light would flicker on.

Long story short, the dealer did official leak tests and blah blah blah found nothing wrong. No kidding? So there wasn't really anything for the dealer to fix, and there wasn't any obvious consequence to this bit of stupidity.

Of course this caused some damage, probably I assume in the form of shortened engine life. So it shaves 25,000 miles off the total life of the engine, big deal: lucky for the dealer they aren't going to be there. I'm guessing anyway. I don't know what the consequence of this will be, and since there isn't any obvious issue (yet) it's challenging to demand the dealer do anything in particular.

It's been a year+ now. I can say that at 70k, it's burning a quart of oil in less than a 1,000 miles. Apparently that is close enough to be considered normal for an engine with that many miles. Or so I am told...

Is this true? How much oil consumption is normal? Is there a graph or stats on this somewhere? Before I consider buying anything else from this dealer (small town, one dealer with nearly all the brands) I'd like to know just how indignant to be. "Hey take $10k off this next car since the last experience was so swell!" or something like that.
296k and counting and my 2014 doesn't burn a drop between changes. My oil light has never come on...
20200129_161028.jpg

·
Registered
9 Posts

I owned a 2014 CRV for 6 years (purchased new) and never added oil in-between oil changes (and I did check oil level regularly). So even though I only put 38k miles on my vehicle, I would say burning a quart of oil every 1k miles is excessive for your CRV with 70k miles.

·
Registered
25 Posts

1 - 20 of 37 Posts