Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
2006: I changed break in oil at 800 miles and have used Castrol synthetic all 239,00 miles since. 4 quarts in at change- 4 quarts out when drained. 2017: 52,000 mi. Same as 2006. No oil burn. You should have forced them to change the engine.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Our 2013 has 191K miles and uses about a quart in 2000 to 3500 miles. It is not always the same as weather, type of driving, and even brands of oil all seem to have some effect. Some engines use no oil and work great while others use no oil because they have some oil pressure/restriction issue limiting lubrication to some areas of the engine. I am very satisfied with the CR-V and if putting a little oil in the motor keeps it happy, I'm good with that.

·
Registered
21 Posts
We purchased our 2014 CR-V used from a Honda dealer. A few weeks after buying it, it started making some engine noise. We decided to take it to our independent mechanic to get it checked out. Coincidentally, I happened to be the one driving it there, and while headed down a steep hill and braking, the oil pressure light would flicker on.

Turns out they must have changed the oil at the dealer and failed to refill it.

Long story short, the dealer did official leak tests and blah blah blah found nothing wrong. No kidding? So there wasn't really anything for the dealer to fix, and there wasn't any obvious consequence to this bit of stupidity.

Of course this caused some damage, probably I assume in the form of shortened engine life. So it shaves 25,000 miles off the total life of the engine, big deal: lucky for the dealer they aren't going to be there. I'm guessing anyway. I don't know what the consequence of this will be, and since there isn't any obvious issue (yet) it's challenging to demand the dealer do anything in particular.

It's been a year+ now. I can say that at 70k, it's burning a quart of oil in less than a 1,000 miles. Apparently that is close enough to be considered normal for an engine with that many miles. Or so I am told...

Is this true? How much oil consumption is normal? Is there a graph or stats on this somewhere? Before I consider buying anything else from this dealer (small town, one dealer with nearly all the brands) I'd like to know just how indignant to be. "Hey take $10k off this next car since the last experience was so swell!" or something like that.
I owned two Gen 1 Odysseys: a '95 and a '96, the latter I still own and drive daily. Under warranty, the '95 burned slightly more than a quart of oil every 1000 miles(with 70 K miles). I was told that 1 qt every 1k is acceptable according to Honda. Because mine used more than that it was rebuilt for free (at 80 K miles). Afterwards, it still burned 1 qt/1k. Since this was my first Honda, I thought this must be normal for Hondas. I have since owned other Hondas without consumption issues. For the '96 Odyssey, which now has 160,000 miles, at every oil change(6k synthetic) the oil level is full. Impressive in my opinion, and very opposite of my '95. My oil burner made it to 280 K miles when the fuel pump went and I sold it. IMO 1k/qt is excessive. Obviously Honda doesn't want to rebuild engines. On the other hand, oil consumption doesn't mean the engine is on its way out, as mine ran fine for more than another 100k. Hope my experience helps.

·
Registered
82 Posts
It's been a year+ now. I can say that at 70k, it's burning a quart of oil in less than a 1,000 miles. Apparently that is close enough to be considered normal for an engine with that many miles. Or so I am told...

Is this true? How much oil consumption is normal? Is there a graph or stats on this somewhere?
Burning a quart of oil in 1,000 miles is excessive no matter what kind of vehicle it is. If there are no external leaks there must be blue smoke coming out of the exhaust at some point because that's a lot of oil consumption. I have a 2009 Fit with over 120,000 miles on it and it's driven mostly on long runs (which is why when the MM comes on with 15% oil life remaining it's almost 10,000 miles on the odometer since the last oil change) and at this point the oil level is only 1/2 quart low, between the low and max level holes on the dipstick. My 2010 Fit used mostly on short runs has about 60,000 miles on it and it too is about 1/2 quart low when the MM comes on at 15% oil life; of course the mileage is just over 5,000 miles due to the short trips. Honda's oil life indicator is based on engine revolutions and operating conditions; it's not based by mileage only like Toyotas and some other makes.

·
Registered
19 Posts
We purchased our 2014 CR-V used from a Honda dealer. A few weeks after buying it, it started making some engine noise. We decided to take it to our independent mechanic to get it checked out. Coincidentally, I happened to be the one driving it there, and while headed down a steep hill and braking, the oil pressure light would flicker on.

Long story short, the dealer did official leak tests and blah blah blah found nothing wrong. No kidding? So there wasn't really anything for the dealer to fix, and there wasn't any obvious consequence to this bit of stupidity.

Of course this caused some damage, probably I assume in the form of shortened engine life. So it shaves 25,000 miles off the total life of the engine, big deal: lucky for the dealer they aren't going to be there. I'm guessing anyway. I don't know what the consequence of this will be, and since there isn't any obvious issue (yet) it's challenging to demand the dealer do anything in particular.

Is this true? How much oil consumption is normal? Is there a graph or stats on this somewhere? Before I consider buying anything else from this dealer (small town, one dealer with nearly all the brands) I'd like to know just how indignant to be. "Hey take $10k off this next car since the last experience was so swell!" or something like that.
I don't think what you describe is what really happened. I suspect the car had an oil consumption problem when the dealer got it and that the oil level was probably OK when he sold it to you. However, after a few weeks, so much oil was burned that the dipstick showed empty but there were still maybe 2-3 quarts in the crankcase. Once the oil level got so low that the oil pump was sucking air, the valves started clattering from lack of lubrication, which is when you took it in. I can't imagine valves not clattering if you were driving for weeks with no oil. With no lubrication, they will clatter immediately. So you didn't damage the engine. It was already damaged when you bought it. John Lonigro

·
2,273 Posts
Every engine out there uses some, half qt between oil changes is about what it should be on a low mileage engine.
That statement is absolutely not true. There's no reason any CR-V with under 100k miles or so should "normally" burn ANY oil. This goes to proper break-in, which has to do with proper seating of the piston rings. I've bought several cars and motorcycles new over the years, broken them in carefully, and had ZERO oil consumption up to high miles. My current CR-V, an '07 with 92k, has burned NO oil in a year, so far. Of course, buying a used car means you have no control over how it was broken in, or previous service. So, it's an important consideration when buying used.

On the other hand, my old '91 F250, with it's 460 big block and 145k on it, burns up to two quarts between oil changes, but I can live with that, as it's a tank, and still otherwise runs like a new one, smooth as silk and a workaholic. Plus, it has stayed consistent for five years. It had over 100k on it when I bought it. But that's a whole different thing.

There's no valid reason a 2.4L Honda engine should be burning any oil before the clock gets pretty far up there. And I don't car what any carmaker or dealer says, there is no such thing as "normal" oil consumption, in any amount, on an engine with much under 100k. After that, it all comes down to good maintenance. Well, before that, too. The oil level is not the only thing, although it is an important thing. There's also oil quality, and oil condition. Things like not changing the oil filter every time, not maintaining the proper oil level, and waiting too long between oil changes, are critical mistakes. Overheating is also a factor, too, so maintaining the coolant system is also critical, just like the aforementioned PCV valve and other maintenance is. All these thing can have an adverse affect on those all-important rings.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My 2015 gently driven CRV AWD with 56k miles and an oil change every 5k with the recommended oil and filter needs topping up about .25-.5 qt between changes. Normal?? Can't say. But my 2008 Toyota Matrix with 215K miles and used much more harshly, towing small boats and MCs many miles, does not use any measurable oil between changes. I've already decided my next car will be a Toyota. I like the CRV ride and AWD here in the snowy north, but I just get the feeling it's not going to be going strong at 200k.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My 2015 gently driven CRV AWD with 56k miles and an oil change every 5k with the recommended oil and filter needs topping up about .25-.5 qt between changes. Normal?? Can't say. But my 2008 Toyota Matrix with 215K miles and used much more harshly, towing small boats and MCs many miles, does not use any measurable oil between changes. I've already decided my next car will be a Toyota. I like the CRV ride and AWD here in the snowy north, but I just get the feeling it's not going to be going strong at 200k.
I wouldn't say your oil consumption is excessive. My 2004 CRV was typically 1/2 quart low when it was time for an oil change at 6 months/5000 miles. I don't believe you need to bother topping it up, as long as it is still well above the "low" mark when you change it. If it's near the "low" mark and it's not due to be changed yet, you do need to top it up, but then it's obviously losing more than 1/2 quart between changes. By the way, I sold my 2004 CRV a year ago at 150,000 miles and the new owner tells me it's still going strong.

·
Registered
15 Posts
How long ago, how many miles? My dealer says that it will come back and I don't want to open the engine if it isn't going to work. It's a CPO so I still have another 2 yrs and 65k left of warranty.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
2014 CR-V with 43,677 miles when it was replaced on Nov 18, 2019.
Looks like I've only driven about 1,000 miles since then.

65k left on what warranty? At about 5 years and over 40,000 miles I was outside the regular and powertrain warranties, so I had to pay for the work.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
The owners manual in our ‘09 ‘yota RAV4 says 1.1 qt/600 miles is normal. I’ve never added oil between changes. The oil level (checked frequently) is always perfect.......right between the min/max marks. Way to many oil consumption experts in this thread.

·
Registered
15 Posts
2014 CR-V with 43,677 miles when it was replaced on Nov 18, 2019.
Looks like I've only driven about 1,000 miles since then.

65k left on what warranty? At about 5 years and over 40,000 miles I was outside the regular and powertrain warranties, so I had to pay for the work.
The Certified Pre-Owned warranty is actually better than a new car. Hard to believe but it's true! Extends the power train to 100,000 7 yrs. from date of original purchase.

·
Registered
16 Posts
That is excessive for that many miles. Mine has 245k miles and burns about that much because changing valve guide seals is a project I'm too lazy to do until I get a spare vehicle to drive so I'm not rushed.

Anyone who says their car uses "not a drop" between oil changes is lying. Every engine out there uses some, half qt between oil changes is about what it should be on a low mileage engine.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
I guess I must be a liar with lying eyes. None of my vehicles over the last 20+ years (3 vehicles all the time, each changed every three years). None has ever shown a drop of oil usage between changes, and I check levels often.,

·
Registered
9 Posts

Many, many CR/Vs with this engine. Never a drop of oil use with this engine on any of them. Talk to the dealer owner and if you get nowhere, get an attorney.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts