Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Ive got a 1997 CRV and Im not sure about 55 or 65?
What is the best speed to drive the CRV?

·
Registered
174 Posts
It depends what you mean by 'best'.
Best mpg will probably be acheived at 40 mph or less.
The downside is that it takes a long time to reach your destination!

·
Registered
174 Posts
If I'm going somewhere with no direct highway connection, I take a shorter distance on slower roads. The time taken is the same, but mpg is much better.
e.g. Highway route: 70 miles at 70 mph = 1 hour @ 33 US mpg
Direct route: 60 miles at 60 mph = 1 hour @ 37 US mpg

When going on holiday we try to take the scenic route (parks or coast), dropping the speed to 40 or 50 mph, making 40 US mpg possible. It doesn't matter that it takes longer if the view is nice!

btw, I've got a diesel hence high numbers. I used to have a petrol auto Euro Accord and the same pretty much applied.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I have gotten 26 MPG going 80 the trick is to use cruise control and avoid heavy acceleration (Duhh) also it helps if you are on a flat route. In town I try to drift through the streets and make the tranny shift as low as possible 1800 RPM shifts. Most people get it up to 3K from a stop light and whats the point you still have to stop at the next light so while you wasted gas and brakes I pull up smoothly next to you. The only thing is driving in a fuel efficient manner pisses people off especially in town expect a lot of tailgating and flipping the bird as most people are dumb and don't get that you aren't slowing them down but speeding them up by rolling through greens instead of accelerating to reds.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, the Cr-v has always been designed to burn less fuel aat higher RPMs. Lugging the engine will cause you to lose MPG. I do 80 all the time in my V and get 25, which is what it should get, for a 125,000 mile car.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Yes just about all hondas and Acuras (except the ridgeline and oddesy to the best of my knowege) are designed to have better fuel consumption with higher rpm especially the S2000 don't lugg that engine around!

Also my 98 V is an automatic and FWD with 175,000+ miles I get about 25mpg if I drive reasonably also I thought that using cruze control used up more fuel than if you don't use it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, the Cr-v has always been designed to burn less fuel aat higher RPMs. Lugging the engine will cause you to lose MPG. I do 80 all the time in my V and get 25, which is what it should get, for a 125,000 mile car.
Maybe, but my 98 stick gets 27 driving a mix of city/highway (55/65), and I just took a trip where I was going 70 most of the way, and I was getting 25 mpg. I drive cautiously in the city, coasting where I can, which seems to help.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I drove 65 on the freeway with no AC and the radio off and I drove extrteemly cautiously in the city. and I was using the cruse control.

You don't make too many freinds this way.

anyway I only got 26.3 up from my usual 23-25

·
Registered
39 Posts
How about driving the speed limit because it's the law... :D

BTW, I get my best gas mileage by driving the speed limit! Of course I also don't do Jack Rabbit Starts and watch the flow of traffic ahead of me and anticipate stops and slow down by coasting when I see traffic slowing ahead of me rather than flying up on it and then slamming on my brakes at the last minute!

Hmmm, seems a little common sense can go a long way toward making the fuel in your tank go a long way! :eek:

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have gotten 26 MPG going 80 the trick is to use cruise control and avoid heavy acceleration (Duhh) also it helps if you are on a flat route. In town I try to drift through the streets and make the tranny shift as low as possible 1800 RPM shifts. Most people get it up to 3K from a stop light and whats the point you still have to stop at the next light so while you wasted gas and brakes I pull up smoothly next to you. The only thing is driving in a fuel efficient manner pisses people off especially in town expect a lot of tailgating and flipping the bird as most people are dumb and don't get that you aren't slowing them down but speeding them up by rolling through greens instead of accelerating to reds.
Amen. I am the same way. I have been the impatient driver and liked to accelerate hard. The CR-V has made me a safer driver though, the way it is tuned and the real-time MPG gage. I also now accelerate soft and get going just fast enough to coast to the next red light. A few hard accelerations drop my mpg several tenths. People scream by me and slam on their brakes, and probably get lousy fuel economy.

To answer the original question, I routinely get a minimum of 24mpg in mixed driving; on the highway I get my best fuel economy somewhere between 60 and 70mph (about 28-30mpg cruising under 70). Between 70 and 80mph I drop to the mid or upper 20s, depending on headwind.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I set the cruise control to 58-59mph and on a 60 mile journey easily get 49mpg (UK) overall out of my diesel.

Most times I attempt to kep the revs just below 2000rpm (before the turbo kicks in) on the free/motorway.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Yeah I get the angry people I mean I drive quickly but coast up to that speed I am not going to rev my engine to 3500 RPM if I know I am going to catch a red light on the next block. I find its best to ride the greens because you get much better time you can get somewhere much quicker if you do 35 not stopping than revving up to 40-50 and slamming on your brakes. Also I find that the whole getting better economy going faster is rubbish the reason why you get better economy at 80 is because usually a road where you can set the CC at 80 is flat, long, and not crowded so you jut sit on a consistent Rev level, also I am sure if you did 50 you would probably do better but who wants to sit on a big empty freeway at 50

·
Registered
48 Posts
My typical drive is a 45 mile round trip highway and city drive to the local airport; normally i get ~28MPH, however I filled up today and the last tank got 31MPG!

I had a new oil change a few weekends ago, just filled up my tires, and it was pretty cold out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I average 25, but I've gotten 28 once in my '98 auto. Premium gas seems to make a difference, along with ethanol-free gas. I once got 26mpg with the car completely full of camping gear, 3 people, and 3 bikes on the roof. Took highway 13 north from Wisconsin Rapids all the way to Lake superior, going through small towns the whole way(slow down, speed up, repeat).

Cruise control, all the way!

·
Registered
16 Posts
i seem to get better gas mileage at higher speeds
I say it's all about keeping it in top gear. In the hilly terrain I live in, I get garbage fuel economy if the auto transmission shifts out of OD. So, a faster speed (within reason), yields better fuel economy.

For that same reason, on hilly terrain, cruise control is your enemy. I can do a much better job keeping my CR-V in OD on hills than the cruise control does.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts