Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I usually pay to have my car detailed but I would like to detail and wax my V myself. What are the best products to use on dark metallic paint? I want it slick and no swirls- thoughts? Suggestions?

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I usually pay to have my car detailed but I would like to detail and wax my V myself. What are the best products to use on dark metallic paint? I want it slick and no swirls- thoughts? Suggestions?
Since you have a new car I suggest a sealant not a wax. As for which one there are dozens and everybody has their own opinion. Klasse glaze is pretty good you can get it from Amazon.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I am waiting to hear the replies on this. I have not waxed a car in twenty years. Back in 2012 when I got my last new CR-V I sold my 2001 Nissan Xterra. It was eleven years old, had never been waxed, and everyone thought it looked like a new car. Quality clear coat over the paint made wax not so important any more. But there are those who insist on doing it and there are waxes optimized for clear coat paint. Good luck in your search!

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Since you have a new car I suggest a sealant not a wax. As for which one there are dozens and everybody has their own opinion. Klasse glaze is pretty good you can get it from Amazon.
What applying or buffing don't use old bath towels ( terry cloth ), use a micro fiber cloth available at you local auto store. Or if you want, an elect buffer.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I am waiting to hear the replies on this. I have not waxed a car in twenty years. Back in 2012 when I got my last new CR-V I sold my 2001 Nissan Xterra. It was eleven years old, had never been waxed, and everyone thought it looked like a new car. Quality clear coat over the paint made wax not so important any more. But there are those who insist on doing it and there are waxes optimized for clear coat paint. Good luck in your search!
Yep, the washing instructions tag on the bumpers of my jeeps said "Do Not Wash leave outside in rain" :)

·
Registered
600 Posts
http://www.autogeek.net/qude101.html

My brother uses products from this website on his Black on black Nismo 370Z. He also details high end cars as a side job in his spare time.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm using Klasse All in One and then finishing with 2 coats of Klasse High Gloss Sealant. I've got the Dark Olive Metallic

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just bought a a 2017 CR-V Modern Steel Metallic Touring in Feb. Got the dealer to throw in a long list of items since they didn't discount much off of MSRP....
Anyway, one of the items was the Exterior paint protection (Dealer Applied) which I thought was a gimmick but for Free it couldn't hurt.
Wow I am amazed at whatever they used because Nothing sticks to the car, I mean Nothing. Simply rinse with a hose and it looks like new again.
My car is typically garaged however I leave it out once in awhile and even after a rain any dust is gone and it looks like new again.
Not sure what the product is or how long it will last but so far so good. Dealer said it is covered for 3 yrs just like the car and will stay clean or they will treat it again at no cost.

The cost on their Dealer added items was $450 which is outrageous just like most of the other Dealer items but for free I couldn't go wrong.

I also got the following items at no cost and just paid MSRP plus Taxes, Lic, etc

1. Honda Genuine Splash Guards
2. Honda Genuine Wheel Locks
3. Interior and Exterior Protection Pkg
4. Honda Door Visors all 4 windows
5. Pin Striping
6. Honda Rear Cargo Tray
7. Nitro in Tires

Not sure if any of the items come from the factory but the dealer added items list next to the window sticker would have added several thousand dollars to the price. I have always negotiated Dealer added items into a car buy since the dealer cost are minimal on them but would have cost several thousand at retail prices.

We love our CR-V with only two exceptions...Still can't get used to the Rim Style and the the Display should have been tilted several more degrees up because the glare from the sun in some directions makes it almost unreadable at times. This say a lot since we are coming from a 2016 BMW X5. Don't miss it at all and the CR-V was half the price and gets twice the gas mileage and many of the same features.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
The "best" product really depends on how much time and money you want to spend on it, for increasingly little return.

If you don't want to spend much time or money, you could do a lot worse than Nu-Finish. It's been around forever, available everywhere, not very pricey, is fairly easy to apply, and lasts a long time. (The only drawback is you need to be careful around black trim; it's a pain getting that stuff off of it.) The biggest upgrade over that would be a $60 D/A Polisher from Harbor Freight, and an order from Amazon or Autopia or something with a basic set of pads, polish, and wax.

Anything beyond that will be ever-greater investments in money and time for increasingly little return. Car paint care is one of those endless rabbit holes you can spend all your free time obsessing about, and thousands of dollars in stuff.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just applied the Klasse duo to a family member's 2014 EX-L. It really brought out the flake in the paint nicely. Klasse also layers well for greater protection. My 2003 has CarPro hydrofoam on it right now, which is essentially a super light application of CQuartz sealant. I'll eventually do Klasse on that too.

If you're looking for depth in the paint, use Klasse, if you're looking for insanely excellent water beading and sheeting, use HydroFoam to wash your car(s). Don't hesitate to use both also!

If you're looking for a wax, you could also use something like Collinite Insulator Wax. Hard to beat. You can also top the Klasse sealant with the Collinite if you want some really serious depth with a dark metallic paint.

Good luck finding the "best" product though. I've been trying for years, but I just keep finding products that are all amazing in their own right.

·
Registered
539 Posts
right here. I have 3 show cars and have owned many award winning show cars over the years and its the best for easy on/off and protection. I've tried am all. trust me on this.

https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-G18216-Ultimate-Liquid-Wax/dp/B004HCM9H4

I agree, Meguiar’s Ultimate Liquid Wax the best that I have used. And it doesn’t discolor the black plastic trim that CRVs have in spades.
BTW: Real Peanut Butter is the best thing that I have found to remove wax stains from black plastic trim if you choose to use a product like Nu-Finish.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I just started doing my own again and tried BlackFire products. Will say, Looks the best ive ever used. Easy and very good shine. All from Autopia.

·
Registered
600 Posts
According to my brother who details cars professionally as a side business, Souveran wax and crystal mist are the 2 best products on the market in his opinion. He buys the crystal mist in 128 oz. and always keeps at least one jar of the souveran. If u wash regularly (He uses pinnacle body shampoo) detail every time with crystal mist and wax 2 times a year with Souveran wax u will never have to use polish or clay bar.

Disclaimer: My brother only details high end cars, Mercedes, Porsche, Audi, BMW, Jaguar, etc and owns a Nismo 370Z.

·
Registered
16 Posts
mothers paste wax is very hard to beat in my opinion ,I like their spray wax to clean the car if I don't want to wash it using a brand new microfiber cloth , there are still no scratches on my 2013 corvette using this method

·
Registered
135 Posts
The "best" product really depends on how much time and money you want to spend on it, for increasingly little return.

If you don't want to spend much time or money, you could do a lot worse than Nu-Finish. It's been around forever, available everywhere, not very pricey, is fairly easy to apply, and lasts a long time. (The only drawback is you need to be careful around black trim; it's a pain getting that stuff off of it.) The biggest upgrade over that would be a $60 D/A Polisher from Harbor Freight, and an order from Amazon or Autopia or something with a basic set of pads, polish, and wax.

Anything beyond that will be ever-greater investments in money and time for increasingly little return. Car paint care is one of those endless rabbit holes you can spend all your free time obsessing about, and thousands of dollars in stuff.
+1 on the NuFinish, it is a polish/protectant and not a wax. Wax will last about 3 months. NuFinish will protect the paint and lasts a full year. I used this product once a year on my truck for almost 20 years and the paint was still like new. It's easy to apply too.

·
Registered
579 Posts
IMO, questions like this, 'what is the best product' never get anywhere. Ask 25 people and get 25 different recommendations. Bottom line, there is no 'best'. It's a competitive market. Many great products available.

Try something. If you like it, fine. If you don't, try something else next time. And just because it costs a lot, never means it's the best.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'll put in my vote for klasse as well. Used many products over the years and have been impressed with klasse. It will bead water for 6 months. I used to struggle wiping off but read somewhere on the web to apply with a damp sponge and wipe off immediately and the process worked great. Also, while searching the web for what to use on the black plastics, klasse was recommended. I tried it and to me the black plastic looks shinier and blacker. With wax it is really difficult to get off of the plastics. I used to tape off the plastics with wax

1 - 20 of 21 Posts