Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm looking for front lower ball joint adapter kits that are known to work on a 2004 CRV.

Just watched a how to video where the mechanic finds out his Honda CRV ball joint adapters do not fit.

Amazon lists the OTC6377 adapter kit as fitting a 04 CRV, but further down in the reviews I see where a 04 CRV owner posted a 2 star review stating that the adapter kit did not actually fit. https://www.amazon.com/OTC-6733-Vehicle-Adapter-Update/dp/B000RIYPSS

I'm at a loss. Does anyone make a ball joint adapter kit that actually fits a 04 CRV?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hope its OK to bump.

I do have a 20 ton shop press (the gray harbor freight model), but I'm not sure I can fit the carrier assembly in the press.

Hoping to find a ball joint adapter kit that is known to fit the second gen CRVs.

·
Banned
806 Posts
That guy in the video on your third post isn't using anything special. It looks like he is just using a kit that he borrowed from an auto parts store. Those kits typically come with lots of adapters and cups. I know the one I bought has a lot of different adapters for different applications, and I'm sure I could find something in my kit that would work. Having a good ball joint press kit is expensive and one that you may not use much. But when you need it they are worth every penny.

Sorry I wasn't much more help.

·
Banned
806 Posts
Is it absolutely necessary to remove the entire assembly from the car like he did?
It is probably a lot easier to do so, otherwise you're going to be fighting that lower control arm being in your way. There isn't much holding that stuff in to begin with, so it isn't much more work.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks like HF has one of the ball joint tools in stock, but it looks exactly like every other ball joint tool. There are some very mixed reviews on the tool listed on HF.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Finding the right adapters is all that is needed.
Well, that goes back to the reason I posted this thread. :) What is the part number of the adapter kit known to work with a 2002-06 CRV? Nobody seems to know, and I should just buy and try until I find one that works. Just trying to avoid the shipping delays and costs involved in finding out the hard way.

·
Banned
806 Posts
Well, that goes back to the reason I posted this thread. :) What is the part number of the adapter kit known to work with a 2002-06 CRV? Nobody seems to know, and I should just buy and try until I find one that works. Just trying to avoid the shipping delays and costs involved in finding out the hard way.
I'm sure that if you had a kit that comes with enough adapters you will find something that will work. I doubt anybody is going to know the part numbers to the adapters that they used for the job. I'm certain the kit I have I could find some combination that would work. Most won't spend that kind of money on a kit unless they do it for a living.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I got both ball joints replaced. Had to gerry-rig an adapter with a deep well socket but got them both swapped.

Unfortunately, replacing the ball joints did not fix the problem: light buckling/clunking noise when turning either way at lower speeds, over any bumpy or rough road/terrain.

I'd already replaced both outer tie rod ends, the entire control arm assemblies, sway bar links and sway bar bushings. Now the ball joints. There is absolutely no play at the inner tie rods.

So disappointed and frustrated with this car.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts