Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2006 CR-V
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter's 2006 CR-V. I'm only working on it when I have time, so I can't remember what this part is for. I'm in the final stages of replacing the passenger side seat and curtain airbags, which involves removing all of the interior trim from the rear cargo space to the front of the car (and headliner as well). In putting everthing back into place now, I can't remember what this metal piece is and there is no part number stamped on it, or I would just look it up myself. Not sure if it was from the front passenger seat, or perhaps from the rear cargo area or something else. Anybody know? Thanks.

It's hard to see in the photo, but the second photo has a foam strip along two of the edges (left and right side edges going up and down in the photo). Some sort of seal or vibration dampening purpose to that, I guess.

·
Registered
2006 CR-V
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Figured it out. A little late, though. I installed the trim on the right side of the car, and when doing the left side I see that the pillar 'B' lower trim garnish has this same metal plate in it as you can see in the photos below. Now I have to remove both right door sill trims and then the right lower pillar garnish to put the metal plate back in. Grrrrr!

Not sure, but I think it's a spacer so the seat belt will have enough room to slide up/down out of the lower pillar B garnish where it meets the upper garnish.

·
Registered
2006 CR-V
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I don't have the fasteners to secure the metal spacer to the plastic protuberances on the garnish trim. Any idea what these fasteners are called so I can ask for the correct thing at the hardware store?

EDIT: Honda calls it a "push nut", but I'm not sure a hardware store would call it by that name. I might have to get this from Honda.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
8,775 Posts
Show them the picture at the hardware store. (Those are one-time-use crimp retainers)

If you can't find a similar piece, you could always measure the center post's diameter on the trim, and use an external retaining ring.

·
Registered
2006 CR-V
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Show them the picture at the hardware store. (Those are one-time-use crimp retainers)

If you can't find a similar piece, you could always measure the center post's diameter on the trim, and use an external retaining ring.

Thank you for responding. I went to a hardware store and what they have are really "axle push nuts" which look like this below, which I don't want to use and probably wouldn't be the right size and wouldn't work:

They also didn't have anything called crimp retainers. I might have a whole set of external retaining snap rings like you showed above. I haven't seen it in a while, but I'm pretty sure I have it somewhere in my garage with the rest of my mess. I'm not sure it would work, though, as the crimp retainer (what Honda calls "push nut") won't dig in to the protuberance like the proper part. I might try it, though. I have otherwise decided to order the proper push nuts from my local Honda dealer on Monday. Probably get the push nuts on Tuesday or Wednesday.

·
Registered
2006 CR-V
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Yeah, that's more like what it is, thanks. I'm going to go with the exact size OE part though, but what you linked above would probably work assuming one of those 5 sizes is correct.

As @Carbuff2 mentioned, they are a one-time use thing. When you push it on, it locks into place and digs into the plastic to prevent it from slipping up. Well, mine did slip off, though, I don't know if they were there when I removed the garnish or if they had slipped off years ago inside (possibly from heat expansion/contraction and vibration?). Who knows.

·
Registered
2006 CR-V
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm going to go with the exact size OE part though, but what you linked above would probably work assuming one of those 5 sizes is correct.

Well guess what? My local Honda dealer says the part is a "discontinued" part, other than whatever remaining inventory that is offered by OE parts sellers online, which would be cost prohibitive with the shipping in addition to having to wait for it. I went with the AutoZone variety set, which has 5 pairs, all different sizes. I figured one of those sizes would work. AutoZone website said my local store had it in stock, so I walked over there, but they didn't have it. They ordered it for me to pick up the next day and gave me a discount for my trouble. $2.96 for the set. The second to the smallest size in the set did the trick. I hammered them in place by using an 8mm deep well 1/4" socket and a plastic mallet.

Thanks to @ms3224a and @Carbuff2 for helping!

Reactions: Carbuff2

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
They are not washers. Washers are to increase surface area or take up space. These are press on retainers/press on nuts. Retention washers which are close to these but not the same and serve a different purpose.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts