Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was looking around at the rear end due to a vibe that starts and stops between 40-50 mph and when I crank the wheel either direction all the way like for a u turn. I saw this thing and have no clue what it would be. It's really loose and just sits there. It isn't connected to anything except the rear diff.
Compared it to my buddies gen 1.5 and he doesnt have that thing on his diff. Mine is a 97.

Attachments

·
Everything in Moderation
8,072 Posts
It's called a Dynamic Rear Differential Damper. Our Gen2 has one too, #15.

Like you, I often wonder exactly what it does. But, I'm glad its Dynamic and not the plain-Jane version. :eek:

·
Everything in Moderation
8,072 Posts
It is shaped kind of like a T, and it is secured in the middle. So, the ends can wiggle. (Mine has always wiggled, don't really profess to know exactly how it works, unless it has something to do with crashworthiness.)

·
Registered
118 Posts
don't really profess to know exactly how it works, unless it has something to do with crashworthiness.)
"Earlier ones ('88s and maybe some early '89s ) didn't have them anyway. It's just there to dampen some kind of vibe that bugged an engineer at Honda. I'm using one on my '89, just because I had it and urethaned it with all the other mounts. I really doubt that I would notice the lack of it though." - bam-bam (and no one named that would lie!)

https://www.civicwagon.com/showthread.php?17820-Rear-Differential-Damper

·
Registered
4 Posts
I can't believe it but I dont have a damper on my 2004 Honda CRV and am shocked. It either got nicked at some service or never came with it. Is it essential as haven't noticed anything unusual, but Honda service just mentioned that my Rubber bush connected to it is splitting, so Im a bit worried. Should I get this installed and also replace the bush. Angry and confused here. Help!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I can't believe it but I dont have a damper on my 2004 Honda CRV and am shocked. It either got nicked at some service or never came with it. Is it essential as haven't noticed anything unusual, but Honda service just mentioned that my Rubber bush connected to it is splitting, so Im a bit worried. Should I get this installed and also replace the bush. Angry and confused here. Help!!!
Do you have 4WD?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey Jerry....Yes I do as all CRV's are 4WD if the 2WD starts slipping. I have the mount but not the damper. The mount is split, so need advice if its a simple fix.
Cant seem to find any videos on replacing the mounting for a crv rear diff

1 - 12 of 12 Posts