Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is NOT a argument or criticize people topic, everything posted is subjective to each experience.

So anyways, 1 year is up. I will actually be doing some driving very soon. Didn't get a job yet, but someone else in the family did and they don't have a car. (No money for used one and insurance is expensive, not to mention state taxes) Since I will driving more often might as well put fresh oil for the winter and milage.

I heard Honda's break in oil is actually a synthetic blend, with high moly content. Since the light did not come on and its been a year I thought I bring my own oil to the dealer. I think I will just stick with Honda OEM filter, though I read countless opening and opinions of the OEM filter as a Fram in disguise. My oil life monitor currently says 40% 5,000 miles

This oil change I decided I will use 0w-20 Castrol with Titanium, the top of the line Castrol oil. I am sure it is overkill for someone like me who don't drive hard or abuse the CRV, but winter is coming and fresh oil does sound good.

I am curious about what everyone uses
Does anyone bring their own oil to the dealership?
Change their own oil? If you do what brand do you use?
Just use whatever the dealer gives them?
What was your average oil change cost?
Please include your CRV year and current mileage :D

I know Honda has 2 synthetic oil. One is a blend and the other is full synthetic, I read dealership mostly use bulk oil whatever they can get cheaply.

I do plan to mix oil, for this change I will use Castro and might switch to something else next oil change. I was thinking Eneos oil next from Napa auto, then maybe after that go with Pennzoil Platinum since Ultra is only available in 5w-20 I think.

Some say you shouldn't change oil brands to often as each formulation might screw up with mixing to many brands of oil?

Just curious what everyone uses in there CRV what oil do you use and how often do you change your oil? Do you follow the Oil life monitor or do it after X amount of miles?

I plan to stick with full synthetic oil and see how well the engine does. I have always used conventional 10w-30 and 5w-30 changed every 3,500 or 5,000 miles and since full synthetic is more durable and Honda encourages to follow the Oil life monitor I am hoping to see a shiny inside engine 10 years from now. I plan to just keep going with full synthetic for the life of the CRV start it now and keep it on this hopefully not so expensive diet assuming 1 cost of synthetic oil = 2 conventional oil changes.

By the way I called Toyota about my mothers RAV4. They said conventional or full synthetic you still have to change at 5,000 miles or 6 months instead of 3 months.. This goes for the 2.4L 2ag-fe engine not the 2.5l those can go longer for some reason on full synthetic. I was just curious since I just switched the RAV to full synthetic.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20130405/carnews/130409904 <- This makes me nervous. Then again I read on GM forums that people were using synthetic blend oil or conventional rather then full synthetic. I think that motor still uses 5w-30 motor oil.

I am nervous going over 6,000 miles on an oil change, I will see what the oil looks like at 3,000 miles and then every 1K miles. If it starts to look bad and the light does not come on.. to the dealership I go for an oil change. :eek:

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
In answer to your questions in bold above:
1) Would you bring your own eggs to a restaurant and expect a chef to cook your breakfast? No, I don't go to the dealer for oil changes and even if I did I wouldn't bring my own oil.
2) Yes. I will/do change my own oil.
3) Mobil 1 will be going in my '13 CR-V.
4) No, I'd tell the dealer if I were to take it to them, but it would be from a selection of what they have to offer.
5) $25 for oil (5 qt jug of Mobil 1 from Wally mart) + @$7 for a Honda filter delivered to my door [HandA].
6) 2013 CR-V w/1500 miles on it so far. First oil change won't happen for a while based on current useage.
7) Yes, I'm going to try to follow the mileage minder recommendation/oil life indicator but I'll change at 15-10% as time will be longer I'm sure than usual.

Hope this answers your questions.
I don't trust the dealer because of how tight I've found the oil plug on cars I've purchased from them used. Oil is the life blood of my engine and I'm very picky about who gets into my engine compartment.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I will bring my 2005 CR-V to the Honda dealer tomorrow for 160 000 km service. They said they always use the oil "Castrol Edge C3 0W/40". (Where I live, we have winter for 4-5 months.)

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
0w-40 sounds interesting. I know walmart here sells Mobil1 0w-40 euro formula. I don't think anyone else here has that kind of oil viscosity.

Anyways, the dealership has the Oil change express located on its lot and I got the oil change, bummer when it was my turn apparently they don't do bring your own oil at least for express. Might try next time when I go directly to the service bay and make an appointment there rather then the oil change express building on the lot. I got the oil during tax free week in Mass, otherwise I would have just gone what the dealer used.

I think they said they use Eneos oil for full synthetic and castrol synblend for the blend 0w-20. The only thing that concerned me was when I asked for full synthetic, they used those automated fill tubes that you see them use for bulk oil and just input the numbers and poured it in. There were multiple lines some were orange and others were yellow, they just grab one and walk up to the oil filler and start pouring in, so who knows if they full in Castrol or Eneos oil.

Going to end up checking my oil tomorrow morning then at 3,000 miles. Interestingly the sticker on the windshield says come back in 8,000 miles. I went in for an oil change at exactly 4998, and it says come back in 12,998.

Now I remember why I hate quick lubes, they come in and fill up and you don't even know what they do. I know they have Honda filters they were placed all over the shelves right next to me, though I wasn't paying attention so I don't know if the guy actually grabbed a filter or not. I did get charged for 1 according to the bill.

Total came out to be $54.33

Honda oil change 20.11,
Oil change package 13.95
Synthetic oil says $10.88 (the lines for drain plug washer and oil quantity 4.5 quarts says 0.00)
Waste management $3.00
Surcharge $4.00
Service History Admin $0.95

Sales tax $2.24

What bugs me is this "surcharge" and "service history admin". Does it mean add oil change to history on carfax and dealership records?

This quickie oil change place located inside the Honda dealer does all cars, so anyone can go. What kind of oil do they store, I don't know. They had all kinds of filters on display Blue Honda OEM on top and white ones on the bottom. I was inline and I saw Mercedes that obviously did not want to get the oil change at the dealership down the street :p, Suburban, and I was behind a 3rd gen CRV waiting in line.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
In other words you read Canyon's post.

·
Registered
373 Posts
In other words you read Canyon's post.
No, actually, I re-read Garfarian's second post and realized that he'd made several decisions regarding his CR-V and the vehicle had been serviced. Whatever I might have added to his decision-making seemed irrelevent at that point.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Dealership using Pennzoil instead of Honda Oil

For the last few years of non-Honda cars I have mostly used Mobil-1 Full Synthetic. When I bought the TURBO CRV I decided to use Honda Service because of the turbo & expecting that they would use Honda 0w20 Full Synthetic as Honda Genuine Motor Oil is recommended in in bold print in the owner's manual; however, at my most recent oil change the service ticket shows that they used 0W20 PENNZOIL Full Synthetic, not Honda Genuine Motor Oil.

I noticed that the Express Service Office does not have Pennzoil posters but rather 2 posters for Honda Oil with one bottle silver in color & one black; although when I asked the difference between the two bottles the attendant did not know and did mention Pennzoil. The dealership sent me an e-mail survey asking if I have any problems with the service so I made an inquiry in the survey but I have not yet received a response. Will they respond?? I suspect that all major Full Synthetic Oils are essential equal in quality & performance but if Honda is going to recommend Honda Genuine Motor Oil in their manual, I think they should use Honda Genuine Motor Oil.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts