Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, fellow CR-V owners and enthusiasts.
This is my first Honda and I have owned a 2012 year, 2.0 litre petrol, 2WD, auto, CR-V for nearly seven months and have a query regarding the CR-V's first proper service.

The maintenance schedule in my (Australian) Owner's Warranty and Service Manual says to have the car serviced at "6 months or 10,000km (whichever occurs first)" so according to that, it is due for a service now. The manual says the service consists of an oil change and inspection of several components. (10,000km=6,200miles)

The car has traveled 7,100km (4,400miles), of mainly medium range journeys, gentle driving and acceleration, and in Economy mode 90% of the time. I am lucky enough to live in warm part of Australia which has good weather all year round and which is probably similar in climate to California so frost, snow and cold starts aren't an issue.

Having read a few of the posts on this forum regarding servicing it appears the American model has a "Maintenance Minder" function incorporated into the information display of the dash or the center display unit which actually shows you the oil life remaining and when it needs changing. Some forum posters have also said that the original factory oil is a special blend and shouldn't be changed too early. Unfortunately, the Australian CR-V models don't have the "Maintenance Minder" function on their displays, so we don't know what state the oil is in!

Most other compact SUV's I researched before choosing the CR-V had service periods of twelve months/ 10,000 miles or more so it appears to me that in Australia, the Honda dealers have reduced the retail prices of their cars to compete with the influx of value for money Korean motors, but are then recouping the discounts through their servicing departments by stipulating twice yearly services at $300 a pop.

1. If I chose to have the car serviced at 10,000km, 20,000km, 30,000km, etc instead of every 6 months would I-
a) Invalidate my warranty?
b) Cause unnecessary engine wear?
c) Affect the resale value?
d) Can you "over service" a car?
e) Does it matter in which Honda factory the car was made/ assembled regarding build quality, engines, etc ? (I think Aussie models are made in Thailand)

2. What is the recommended service intervals for the US version of the CR-V and what do other owners do?
3. Do modern engines with synthetic oil really need the oil changing this often or is there something different about Honda engines?

Any advice will be much appreciated
TIA

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
If you have a black button sticking out of the speedo and have pushed it to verify that it won't change to a window that shows "% Oil Life", then indeed you don't have that feature. Strange, first I heard of it. You would think it would cost them money to leave it off the car. Anyway, as far as I can see a lot of people ignore the minder anyway. There is one group who firmly believe that the oil should be changed at 3500-5000 ml. regardless. They feel that because of 2 small screens and a solenoid switch that can become plugged with sludge and allow the timing chain tentioner to malfunction, which in turn allows the chain to stretch and or jump a cog with possible disastrous results, it is worth the early oil changes. Then there is a group who forget to change their oil for lord knows how long and give credence to the above group. Then there is a group who use the minder, which can run between 5000-14000miles from what I've seen, and I have yet to see one say they did that and had problems.
In my 2007 I have never seen oil stay so clean for so long in any other car I've owned, so I have fallen into the latter group, changing the oil when there is 15% left. I don't see any sludge forming yet and I have 170000Km. on it.
If your managing 7000Km in the 6 months I would change it every 6 m. just to stay under warranty. That's assuming you have a Honda dealer doing it and keep your paperwork. When the car gets 4-5 years on it you can change duration then if you like. If you plan to keep the car forever so to speak, you can adjust for longevity.
I think synth oil will let you go about 25% longer. It won't sludge as soon but there is a limit to how long the very necessary additives will last.
I don't believe it matters where the CRV is made with respect to future problems or longevity.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Portland, Oregon here so probably a little cooler and wetter. I've only driven it out of town a couple of times so 99% of the trips are very short errands around town and Economy mode is always on. I asked the service manager and he said there is no special factory oil blend so the first oil change should be on the regular schedule. I purchased a 2013 at the beginning of January and just had the oil changed at 4952 miles. The minder showed there was 5% oil life left. The owner's manual states that if the minder doesn't notify you after 12 months to change the oil every year.

I'm flipping through the manual and don't see service recommendations based on time or distance, only when the minder comes on and what each code represents. Strange. I'll look later this evening when I have more time.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
No brainer. Go by the Service Manual, not by what opinions are offered on a Forum!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts