Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I have a 2014 CRV. The manual recommends using 0W-20 motor oil in it. For those of you who have a 2014 CRV, do you use that grade of motor oil? If not, what other viscosities have you found that work just as well? Does the Maintenance Minder still function well with different viscosities?

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
I have a '13 and use what the manual recommends. You can't go wrong if you follow the manual.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I have an '09, but my concern would be what would happen if you needed to make a major warranty claim? Beyond that, if the reason for your inquiry is cost I think with the extended service intervals the difference is minimal in the big picture. As more manufacturers move towards that viscosity I think the price will become more competitive as well. Finally, pure synthetics like 0W20 have many advantages including sludge resistance and film adhesion which reduces wear during startup.

As for the MM, it calculates based on mileage, # of starts, avg drive time and temp etc and not the oil itself, so the algorithms are based on the specified 0W20 and will not compensate for different viscosities or oil types; in other words it will operate the same regardless of oil grade which would lead to the reminders not representing the true state of oil life.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I know you only wanted answers from owners of 2014 models but I can assure if I had one I would do what the manuals says. Why not?
I've followed the owner's manuals on all cars since the mid 90s and have no oil-related failures. I admit that I run 10W-40 in my '63 Ford that has been in the family since new so I plead guilty on that score.
Kevin

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
I don’t understand why people want to veer away from what Honda Engineers intended to put in their vehicles??? Why is it even a question???

·
Registered
436 Posts
CAFE standards dictated the 0W20, not the engineering. We use whatever is on hand, mostly 0W30 or 5W30 due to no days below 20 Celsius

Maintenance Minder is a total idiot, there is no intelligence and it does not know for just one example, if you are low on oil.

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
I don’t understand why people want to veer away from what Honda Engineers intended to put in their vehicles??? Why is it even a question???
Yep, like sticking to Z-1 because Honda said it was the only one. Turned out not so true; esp when they recommended it for the Odysseys. :eek:
The trend to go down to a 0 w and a lighter oil was basically a marketing scheme to get slightly better mpg to advertise. Any idea what wt oil is recommended in Europe for the CRV?
Buffalo4

·
Registered
41 Posts
We have leased an '08, '11 and now a '14 EX-L. On top of that, I just purchased a '12 EX-L. Since the '08, I have been buying Mobil 1 at BJ's Wholesale when on sale and the closest grade they sell is 5W20 - so that's what I've been using. Never a problem. I suspect that you might get marginally better mpg with the 0W20 at the expense of marginally worst lubrication.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
The 0W20 will provide for better lubrication upon engine start up at all temperatures. Both 0W20 and 5W20 will provide the same lubrication after the engine attains normal operating temperatures.

Interesting fact is that all 0W20 oils are synthetic oil. Synthetic oil is the oil I use in my vehicles, lawn equipment, and air compressors. I prefer Mobil 1 brand and have experienced excellent results in all items. I use the oil viscosities recommended by the manufactures. It is not an accident 0W20 is the oil of choice by Honda in the newer cars.

Honda is an engine manufacturer who also makes cars.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
The 0W20 will provide for better lubrication upon engine start up at all temperatures.

Honda is an engine manufacturer who also makes cars.
Ha-ha, I like that Honda quote! :eek:

It’s scary how people consider the "start up of the engine" as the least important part of an oils viscosity.

·
Registered
229 Posts
We have leased an '08, '11 and now a '14 EX-L. On top of that, I just purchased a '12 EX-L. Since the '08, I have been buying Mobil 1 at BJ's Wholesale when on sale and the closest grade they sell is 5W20 - so that's what I've been using. Never a problem. I suspect that you might get marginally better mpg with the 0W20 at the expense of marginally worst lubrication.
This statement is the opposite of accurate.

The 0W20 will provide for better lubrication upon engine start up at all temperatures. Both 0W20 and 5W20 will provide the same lubrication after the engine attains normal operating temperatures.
VideoGuy, for reference, this statement by jimbob15 is accurate.

Interesting fact is that all 0W20 oils are synthetic oil. Synthetic oil is the oil I use in my vehicles, lawn equipment, and air compressors. I prefer Mobil 1 brand and have experienced excellent results in all items. I use the oil viscosities recommended by the manufactures. It is not an accident 0W20 is the oil of choice by Honda in the newer cars.
I agree. Mobil-1 0w-20 in the CR-V, Mobil-1 0w-30 in all my cars, lawn mower and lawn tractor, Rotella T6 5w-40 in my truck. I think Mobil-1 makes a 0w-40 CJ oil for diesel engines but I've never been able to find it. If Walmart had it that's what I'd have in my truck.

·
Registered
288 Posts
These oil viscosity threads are becoming ridiculous. Whoever mentioned CAFE wins the prize.

The only reason any auto manufacturer specifies Xw20 oils for their vehicles is to meet federal CAFE standards. If they don't meet these standards they will get taxed, heavily taxed. It is all about money for the corporate bottom line and NOT about specially engineered engines.

Do some reading beyond the owners manual and it will expand your horizons.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
More about Oil Viscosity than you ever wanted to know: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/putting-the-simple-back-into-viscosity/

More about CAFE than you ever wanted to know: Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) First enacted by Congress in 1975, the purpose of CAFE is to reduce energy consumption by increasing the fuel economy of cars and light trucks...... http://www.nhtsa.gov/fuel-economy

The Bottom Line: Get the oil circulating in the engine as quickly as possible, keep the oil there, recirculate the oil, clean the oil via a filter, and maintain the integrity of the oil.

What can we do as engine owners? Use the recommended oil viscosity, use the best quality oil available, and change the oil as required.

Cheers!

·
Registered
436 Posts

Here is the relevant section from the owners manual, same information is contained in the service-repair manual. The key is your local region temperatures, in our case, we drive a couple dozen Accords, CRVs, Ridgeline and several Acura models in temperatures where the minimum is never below 20 C and max can reach 40 C plus. A 0W-40 may be ideal for our area but we continue to use mostly 5W-30 oils.

Here is a small tip. Of even greater importance is the Oil Filter. We often replace the filter in the middle of the change interval and top off oil to the appropriate level. Have torn apart far too many engines with substandard filtration or torn media with ADB engagement evidence.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I am gong to have to agree with crvee&hondo on this. Honda and other mfg are in a conflict of interest situation where they get millions of dollars in tax credits (over 200 million in one year for Honda I read) for meeting or exceeding cafe fuel requirements.This undoubtedly figures heavily into what oil they are going to recommend and probably will favor the lightest oil that will get them those dollars without causing excessive engine warranty problems.If they were getting cafe dollars for recommending the best oil for extended engine life it likely would not be 0w-20 and it would show a range of oils depending on temps as owners manuals used to before cafe.Whatever oil they achieved cafe test numbers in the lab is what they must recommend in their manual.

·
Registered
522 Posts
These threads are so important. Why would anyone listen to Honda's recommendation. What do their engineers know anyway. They're just doing it for some stupid political reasons. Better to get the real story and listen to folks with assumed names. At least they stand behind what they googled. :eek: :p

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Have torn apart far too many engines with substandard filtration or torn media with ADB engagement evidence.
Great arguments on both sides folks.

I’ll stick to my oil and not have to tear engines apart, and you stick to your ideas and keep replacing engine parts & filters. :confused:

·
Registered
229 Posts
Hondo, the graphic you posted shows 0w-20 as being suitable for ambient temperatures of less than -30C and greater than +40C, so I'm not really sure how that validates your 5w-30 choice.

And the CAFE argument seems to boil down to: "The gov sets fuel economy standards. The manufacture designs their engine to work with lower viscosity oil in order to meet government mandated fuel economy standards. I'll run a higher viscosity oil just to show them both who's boss."

1 - 20 of 105 Posts