Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at the exterior I was mildly impressed, after all it looked almost exactly like my Gen4 Rav4.
When I saw the interior and heard the MPG I was pretty much sold on the vehicle. It was such a huge step up from the RAV4 that I fell in love right away. That lasted for about 3 minutes and then the guy popped the hood and I saw the little 1.5L engine in it. I turned around and almost laughed in his face! At that point I lost complete interest in buying a CR-V. He then said 190HP and my ears perked up. Then he said 240NM of Torque from 2000 RPM up. At that point I had to see if he was BSing me. Well after the test drive I was sold! That little engine was the main reason I bought mine.

Rob

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
5,074 Posts
For me, it was the package deal. The package sold me. The upscale interior, the safety equipment, memory seats, hands free tailgate, the performance from the little 1.5L engine, the fuel economy (at almost 11,000 miles my lifetime mpg is sitting at 33+mpg (down a bit right now as I run the AC 100% of the time during summer) Best full tank at 36.3 mpg, worst full tank at 29.99.

It was the whole package.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
The total package sold me. The safety systems were up there on the list. Also the upgraded interior (from my Gen 4). The extra room inside, the very wide power band of the turbo engine and the wonderful fuel economy. Of course the memory seat, the power seat on the passenger side, the LED head lights, etc., etc. They all added up to a lot of car for what Honda charged for it.

I was not sure about the engine at first but after living with this car for almost two years now I have no regrets and love it more now than when it was new. I loved my 2012 EX-L and rated it my best, most liked car ever until I got my 2017 Touring.

That turbo engine makes lots of torque over a wide range of speeds. Its hard to believe the power it can make. Of course learning to drive it right really helps too. The boosted engine and the CVT can be made to work very very well together for those with a sense of how to tune into the machine. Your right foot used properly can really make this combo shine.

·
Registered
'18 CR-V Ex-L AWD & '13 CR-V Ex-L AWD
1,656 Posts
The improvements over my '15 are a great leap forward, not there was anything wrong with the '15. The included safety features are what got me back in the door. Inside the cabin captured my senses. The 'feeling in charge' ride almost closed the deal. The overall package compared to the competition sold me.

And finding the right Honda dealer really put the whole experience over the top. There really are good dealers out there.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
That turbo engine makes lots of torque over a wide range of speeds. Its hard to believe the power it can make. Of course learning to drive it right really helps too. The boosted engine and the CVT can be made to work very very well together for those with a sense of how to tune into the machine. Your right foot used properly can really make this combo shine.
I could not agree more. I think some of the people who complain about the CVT are just unable to adapt to the way it behaves versus a straight auto. As you said once you stop trying to use it like a regular automatic and just tune into it's behavior the vehicle is unbelievably good considering the size of the engine. I am pretty much a lead foot and people who know vehicles and drive with me in the CR-V just cannot believe it's a 1.5L engine. It brings a smile to my face when they ask me to pop the hood when we reach our destination.

Rob

·
Registered
133 Posts
Honda Sensing and upscale interior brought me to the table. Also the increased legroom in 2nd row was a huge bonus with twin carseats. Wife and i went to look at a 2019 Pilot last week and i prefer our CRV interiors (even vs the Elite trim). Honda really knocked it outta the park with this vehicle. Im interested to see what they do with the Pilot when its time for a new body style. Also purchased the 8 year 100,000 warranty from Hyannis yesterday, i hope to keep this car awhile.

Had the 2019 Rav4 hybrid been out though we wouldve been hard pressed not to buy that.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The huge legroom in the back row was what got me interested. I'm 6'3 so being able to sit with room to spare was a huge step up from the other cars I've owned.

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
I liked the interior and the Mid size feel of a compact suv.

·
Premium Member
6,180 Posts
The History of ownership

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
What one thing was it that sealed the Deal on buying your Gen 5 CR-V?

Test drove the RAV4, CRV, Forester and CX-5. Flip a 4 sided coin and you would come up a winner every time. The CRV was slightly quicker 0-60 mph and slightly better mpg of the 4, according to CR magazine. That sealed the deal for us.

·
Registered
12 Posts
It was the complete package for me. The safety features, the 1.5 turbo working so well with the cvt, the very very nice interior, and the attractive exterior style made it the most appealing choice compared to the RAV4, Rogue, Outback, and Sportage that we test drove as well.

·
Registered
2018 CR-V EX-L FWD Modern Steel Metallic
1,203 Posts
the cargo area and back seat space.
the earlier hondas appeared to be smaller so i was looking elseware. almost went elsewhere w/the drive shift being so close to the HU/dash, but the redesign from previous years help me give the cargo size another look.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Weeks and countless hours of research: formal online reviews (e.g., Consumer Reports), user reviews and forums (mainly this one as it's the most active). There were other factors of course (comfort, test drive etc...) but research was the main component.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Weeks and countless hours of research: formal online reviews (e.g., Consumer Reports), user reviews and forums (mainly this one as it's the most active). There were other factors of course (comfort, test drive etc...) but research was the main component.
Yes I do the same thing. I typically go out and look at what is out there and try to test drive them and then when I know what I want I research the vehicle for weeks. If it has great Pro reviews written and video plus good forum reviews I will then pull the trigger. I wont even consider researching a vehicle that I have not test driven. It can be a 10 out 10 on the reviews but whats the point if you personally dislike something about the vehicle.

Rob

·
Registered
141 Posts
For me, it was the package deal. The package sold me. The upscale interior, the safety equipment, memory seats, hands free tailgate, the performance from the little 1.5L engine, the fuel economy (at almost 11,000 miles my lifetime mpg is sitting at 33+mpg (down a bit right now as I run the AC 100% of the time during summer) Best full tank at 36.3 mpg, worst full tank at 29.99.

It was the whole package.
What are your driving habits like, do you have AWD or FWD?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Yes I do the same thing. I typically go out and look at what is out there and try to test drive them and then when I know what I want I research the vehicle for weeks. If it has great Pro reviews written and video plus good forum reviews I will then pull the trigger. I wont even consider researching a vehicle that I have not test driven. It can be a 10 out 10 on the reviews but whats the point if you personally dislike something about the vehicle.

Rob
Same for me, except in the other order. I did a bunch of research online and in the mags before I narrowed it down to the usual suspects. Then I test drove and looked at the prices. The CR-V to me had the best combination of comfort, capacity, performance, styling, handling, and price. I'll admit that if I had known I'd wind up with one of the ones with the problem, I'd have gone with the Mazda CX-5. But that's not the point of this thread. When I was shopping, the CR-V was the hands down winner in almost every category. I'd give the slight edge on pure driving fun to the CX-5 - and it also looks sharp, but the Honda still came out ahead when it was all said and done.

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
5,074 Posts
What are your driving habits like, do you have AWD or FWD?
FWD, mostly numerous short trips "in town" suburban, trips are roughly 5-6 miles each, usually 3 to 4 of these trips daily, 4 or 5 days a week, with once a week a 20-25 mile round trip on interstate highway, at 70 mph.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts