Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
greetings from Minnesota,

sorry for this being a question on my first post, but i have read the ENTIRE Internet and came up empty.

i have a 2008 EX. the wheels are giving me fits. 2 of them will not hold air. they have had 2 sets of new tires, the tire dismounted and the bead area cleaned and sealer applied 3 times. we are adding air every 4 days whether it has been driven or not. 148k miles on the original wheels.

so, i am ready to replace the wheels. my question is about the size of the OEM wheels, they are the 5 spoke alloy.

this is what i have found
17"
6.5" wide
50mm offset
5 bolt
now this is where i get different answers. is the bolt spacing 115 or 114.3? i have seen it listed differently.

there are no CR-V wheels on craigslist, but i have found recent takeoffs for Accura and HRV.
yes, these takeoffs are slightly different sizes, but if the bolt pattern is the same, the other dimensions seem to work.

am i looking for problems with these other choices?
is there really a difference in the 2 different bolt spacings?

thank you for your help, any advice is appreciated.
geek

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cleaning the bead area is great start as you've already done. You did not mention if the valve stem has been replaced or at the very least the inner valve tightened.
when the last cleaning and seal was done they also did the TPMS valve rebuild. there was no charge for any of this service.

thx
geek

·
Registered
76 Posts
If you have a 08 EX, you should have 7 spoke alloys - 17x6.5, +50mm offset, 5x114.3. Do you really have OE EX wheels?

·
Registered
76 Posts
The "sealant" would be a concern for me. Clean, corrosion free, bead areas do not need sealant. You might consider using some old school techniques to finding where the air is leaking. Remove the problem wheel. Mix up a solution of water with some dish detergent. Drip it into the area where the tire meets ( seals against) the wheel. Look for bubbles. Do that on both sides of the wheel. Drip the solution in and around the valve stem. Look for bubbles. Or, rotate the wheel standing upright in a tub of water that covers the bottom of the tire and above it into the wheel. Look for bubbles. If the tire is leaking, with some patience, you will eventually find it.

·
Everything in Moderation
7,605 Posts
You did not mention if the valve stem has been replaced or at the very least the inner valve tightened.
X2.

The valve stem area is another suspect for corrosion. We had that issue on another car (not a Honda). They replaced the stem twice :FACEPALM: (not TPMS) but had to remove, sand, and seal the mating surfaces there to resolve the issue.

Often, road salt can get into the stem cavity.

·
Registered
776 Posts
X2.

The valve stem area is another suspect for corrosion. We had that issue on another car (not a Honda). They replaced the stem twice :FACEPALM: (not TPMS) but had to remove, sand, and seal the mating surfaces there to resolve the issue.

Often, road salt can get into the stem cavity.
When I bought new tires last Spring, the shop manager showed me a large jar full of failed TPMS valves - like CB said the salt did a number on most of them !! Having driven my adult life in Twin Cities salt-laced roads, it doesn't surprise me. Craig

·
Everything in Moderation
7,605 Posts
the shop manager showed me a large jar full of failed TPMS valves

No doubt, but I was referring to corrosion on the WHEEL, where the valve is anchored. You can't easily see that area, and if it was scratched when the previous set of tires was installed, it could no longer be airtight.

My one wheel would leak about 5 lbs a week from the valve base, until they fixed it.

+++++++++

And that reminds me of another issue...more than once I've had the tire changing monkeys leave a valve core loose!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
greetings,
i appreciate all the help and am back with the results.

i need new wheels, these are a mess.

here is what i have found

leak1.jpg

leak2.jpg

stem.jpg

after looking for wheels, it seems like there aren't a lot of great choices for replacing with same size. i can:

-try to find used on craigslist (no luck so far)
-replace with refurbished
-replace with new replica
-get mine refurbished
-find almost new takeoffs which are a slightly different size
-new steelies OEM.

any thoughts which is possibly the best direction?

and then, there are a few bubbles from the inside and outside of the stem.

-can they rebuild these or do i need to replace those too.
-are these TPMS valves year specific? did they change frequencies?

i know this is asking for a lot of help, and i appreciate it.

quite honestly i thought i would be able to dial up a set of wheels on craigslist and be done.
plan b was go to discount tire and buy a set of aftermarket, but they don't show any 6.5" in 17"

thanks again
geek

·
Super Moderator
3,190 Posts
Looks more like dirt has gotten between the tire and rim. I would have the tires unmounted, rims wire brushed clean and remounted.

But if you are determined to replace them nothing wrong with looking at www.tirerack.com
Additionally when looking at Honda wheels consider also the many 17x6.5 styles on the Accord, Tsx and Element in your searches on EBay and elsewhere.
Salvage yards have also proven good for wheels.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had issues with alloy, aluminum wheels in Minnesota on my '02 Ranger. Corrosion from all the salt used in the winter got to them. Would not hold air any longer, had to replace all 4 wheels........... problem solved.

2010 CR-V, EX-L, 4wd, white.

·
Registered
560 Posts
All you need is to have the tires taken off, the mags cleaned with a grinder with a wire brush wheel. The tire beads sanded to take off the corrosion, the tpms seals changed the two surfaces with the valve goes cleaned. should cost about $100

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
wheels fixed

greetings,

thank you all for your help and suggestions.

we bought a set of wheels at DCT during the Labor Day sale.

this is what we had.

IMG_4817.jpg

they cleaned up the tire bead and rebuilt the TPMS.

i have checked the torque a couple times and they are fine.

sure is nice to not have to add air every time we go somewhere.

thanks again

geek

·
Registered
64 Posts
FWIW, your wheels shouldnt go bad (tpms though, i dont know). unless your car fell into a very big, bad and deep pothole, oem wheels are stronger (and heavier) than aftermarket ones.
if anything your tires might just have needed reseating. if you dont know for sure (and/or you dont think im making sense), its fine. just dont sell the wheels for metal scrap just yet.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts