Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '99 has a bad drive-shaft. I removed it today and noticed that you can turn the shaft, when one front wheel is off the ground, but both rear wheels are on the ground. It is not easy to turn,, but it is not that hard to do w/a 1' long screwdriver.

How is the rear dif supposed to work?

·
Registered
'98 EX AWD
348 Posts
Copied from another thread,

"If one of the front wheels slip, then the propeller shaft will turn faster, which causes a difference in pressure between the front and rear pumps, causing the clutch discs to engage, transferring some power to the rear wheels. Once all four wheels are turning at approximately the same speed, the pressure equalizes, and the clutch discs disengage."

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
CRnotVtec has it right, but trying to turn one wheel when the others off the ground doesn't prove if it's working or not.

Which drive-shaft is bad? The one that goes from the front of the CR-V to the rear? Or one that goes from a front wheel to the transmission, or a rear wheel to the rear differential?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The drive shaft goes from the transmission to the R-Dif.

The front U-joint is only connected at 3 ends.

It might be related to the daughter learning to drive a stick-shift in this car. She was able to chirp the tires...but then we just established that it is actually only a fWD car, so it was only spinning 1 wheel.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
The drive shaft goes from the transmission to the R-Dif.
Honda calls that the 'propeller shaft'.
While it is possible to find a machine shop that could repair the three joints, it's easier to find a rebuilt replacement.

A quick websearch found a rebuilt 1999 Honda CR-V propeller shaft for less than US $300.

A new one lists for about US $1,100.

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
Bought a Dorman shaft for mine, from Amazon, as a Warehouse Deal a few years ago for $250, since one of the yokes on mine was damaged (or I'd have replaced the bearings myself). Worked fine, and was simple to replace.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts