Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The CC got disconnected from the exhaust system (not from the engine, but the downstream pipe), and it now sounds like a motorcycle. How fast do I need to replace this? Should I remove the CC while I wait for repairs? Should I wait till after I get my belts changed (they need to be replaced) or should I go ahead and do this first? The engine light is on, and it occasionally puffs out white-ish smoke only at start up. I looked under, and the CC seems to be falling apart (the aluminum cover is detaching from the core piece).

I don't have enough money atm to repair both things at once. So I need to know what to do first.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
I would suggest getting the exhaust fixed first if you're on a tight budget. Exhaust gas can kill you, broken belts will only leave you stranded for a while (hopefully).
From my perspective, getting both fixed asap would be worth going into some amount of debt, if only so you can get to work reliably to work off that debt.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Fix the leak first. If the CC is still is able to attach to the exhaust pipe, do it. The CC is ahead of the muffler so it will really sound loud if that pipe leak is not corrected. Having the output end of the CC disconnected will not hurt the CC, except if its supports are gone.
Not sure if the 'aluminum' cover you are talking about is part of the CC or its heat shield. If it is the heat shield, don't worry about it now.
Buffalo4
PS: Have you actually inspected what happened down below, or are you guessing?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was inspected by the previous owner, he said it was the muffler. But I looked myself, its disconnected at the exit end of the CC not the muffler. They said it needed replaced, along with the belts. I assume the CC is clogged because of the puff of smoke that comes out on start up. Its white and fades very quickly. It doesn't really have an odor. Like a dusty smell.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Carbon monoxide is odorless.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am aware of hte dangers of Carbon monoxide. I wasnt planning on breathing it lol. But yeah, I am planning on getting it fixed as soon as possible. I was also just having problems with squeeling when I drove it uphill. I inspected hte belts myself just now and they seemed fine for now. So my first focus will be the CC repair.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Cats are fairly expensive and should be checked out thoroughly before being replaced. If you aren't getting a check engine light and that light is good, the cat is probably OK.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
If there is any chance you can replace it yourself, you can save quite a bit by buying Walker replacement parts. They wont be OE Honda quality but they fit and are much easier on a limited budget. You can get everything, cat converter to the back for $300. If you can replace the cat only you are in for less than $200. If it is bad the rest can't be far behind.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would love to repair it myself, but I have little to no experiance with fixing things. I also lack some tools and a jack. Though I can probably borrow some. Can you buy the whole system at an autoparts store? Or must you order online?

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
You can buy it from a store, order it online or find a local independent muffler shop that can fabricate everything in house. There is a place by me that I normally go to for exhaust work and the total with labor is less than the cost of the parts from rock auto.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts