Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, I am a new owner of a 2016 cr-v

I owned an accord over a decade ago with the same 2.4 v-tec. loved that car and enjoyed the "pep" it had.

I just saw an ad on this site for K&N air filters. I have always heard good things about them. does anyone here use them? any feedback? changes in mpg?

any other engine or other upgrades?

my upgrades so far: tint, trailer hitch to pull my catamaran and weathertech floor mats and cargo mat from
would be interested in getting more speakers for better fidelity (I have the lx that only has 4, not the 6 that come with other models)

·
Registered
1,297 Posts

I owned an accord over a decade ago with the same 2.4 v-tec. loved that car and enjoyed the "pep" it had.

I just saw an ad on this site for K&N air filters. I have always heard good things about them. does anyone here use them? any feedback? changes in mpg?

my upgrades so far: tint, trailer hitch to pull my catamaran and weathertech floor mats and cargo mat from
would be interested in getting more speakers for better fidelity (I have the lx that only has 4, not the 6 that come with other models)
Before you decide on a K&N filter read this
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest3.htm

·
Registered
72 Posts

I've got weathertechs as well in my '15 EX, also got the roof rails and crossbars added to move my kayak around (although it cost 3x what my kayak is worth). Beware with the crossbars, because once you get them on your car, every other Crv just looks bald. Oh, and they're only good up to 150 lbs.

·
Registered
192 Posts
My Crv has the body molding, Fancy Honda rubber floor mats, Class III hitch, LED headlights and fogs, K&N air filters, sticker hood deflector, random leather bits, and gray wood stickers on the door panel and around the vents and shifter, fake exhaust trim, and finally a cargo net. Most of the lam stuff was bought with a gift card the dealer gave me. The random odd things I did because I wanted to.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I been using K&N for more than 13 years and never experienced any engine failure. I upgraded my 2012 CRV 5A/T 3 years ago. It improvse a little in acceleration and fuel economy. It's more fun to drive without the resonator connected but it feels like I need to upgrade my brake.

K&N is the OEM of Mugen's & TRD's Air Intake/Filter.

AEM has an Intake for 2015-16 CRV.
AEM, Spectre, Airaid are owned by K&N. Only the Automotive Industry are using Disposable Air Filter. "Environment/Eco Friendly" is just a Marketing Slogan.

It's funny that most people educate themselves with Ads & Propaganda. Who will waste time writing something full of BS without getting paid? The Press, Media, Magazines & Newspapers are the most reliable source of wrong information.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I been using K&N for more than 13 years and never experienced any engine failure. I upgraded my 2012 CRV 5A/T 3 years ago. It improvse a little in acceleration and fuel economy. It's more fun to drive without the resonator connected but it feels like I need to upgrade my brake.

K&N is the OEM of Mugen's & TRD's Air Intake/Filter.

AEM has an Intake for 2015-16 CRV.
AEM, Spectre, Airaid are owned by K&N. Only the Automotive Industry are using Disposable Air Filter. "Environment/Eco Friendly" is just a Marketing Slogan.

It's funny that most people educate themselves with Ads & Propaganda. Who will waste time writing something full of BS without getting paid? The Press, Media, Magazines & Newspapers are the most reliable source of wrong information.

I never had an engine failure with k&n filters either. I got tired of wiping the dust out the induction tube, resonator and upper filter box. Went back to premium paper filter and no more dust.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I never had an engine failure with k&n filters either. I got tired of wiping the dust out the induction tube, resonator and upper filter box. Went back to premium paper filter and no more dust.
Your obviously lying. You just read it somewhere or seen the video showing a cheap Air Filter that don't even looks like K&N. I never seen any dust & oil on the upper filter box.

RESTRICTION = VACUUM

Paper is good in filtering coffee & Tea.

Real K&N[ATTACH]86402[/ATTACH] image.jpg
Looks like a cheap Reusable Air Filter Made in China image.jpg
https://youtu.be/NJKlb61_kXU

Attachments

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Your obviously lying. You just read it somewhere or seen the video showing a cheap Air Filter that don't even looks like K&N. I never seen any dust & oil on the upper filter box.

RESTRICTION = VACUUM

Paper is good in filtering coffee & Tea.

Real K&N[ATTACH]86402[iurl="http://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=86418&d=1494827802"]
[/iurl]
Looks like a cheap Reusable Air Filter Made in China[iurl="http://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=86426&d=1494828214"]
[/iurl]
https://youtu.be/NJKlb61_kXU
Nope, not lying. You must not live in dusty location. Here is a GM ISO 5011 test of several filters.
http://www.billswebspace.com/AirFilterTest.htm
Note how poorly the K&N performs on filtration efficiency.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've got weathertechs as well in my '15 EX, also got the roof rails and crossbars added to move my kayak around (although it cost 3x what my kayak is worth). Beware with the crossbars, because once you get them on your car, every other Crv just looks bald. Oh, and they're only good up to 150 lbs.
Thanks for the response
I thought about adding roof rails but decided against it for a few reasons: 1. afraid they may eventually leak | 2. 150lbs isn't a lot AND i really don't want to put weight high up (raising the center of gravity)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My Crv has the body molding, Fancy Honda rubber floor mats, Class III hitch, LED headlights and fogs, K&N air filters, sticker hood deflector, random leather bits, and gray wood stickers on the door panel and around the vents and shifter, fake exhaust trim, and finally a cargo net. Most of the lam stuff was bought with a gift card the dealer gave me. The random odd things I did because I wanted to.
Thanks for the response !
Does the hood deflector do anything? would you add it again?

What leather/lam stuff?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Thanks for the response
I thought about adding roof rails but decided against it for a few reasons: 1. afraid they may eventually leak | 2. 150lbs isn't a lot AND i really don't want to put weight high up (raising the center of gravity)
I don't really worry about the higher centre of gravity. I've driven it on some twisty roads in a fairly aggressive manner and never got the impression that it was even close to tipping. It doesn't even have a rollover warning on the sunvisors. The one prohibiting factor I would consider is cost. Honda accessories aren't cheap.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't really worry about the higher centre of gravity. I've driven it on some twisty roads in a fairly aggressive manner and never got the impression that it was even close to tipping. It doesn't even have a rollover warning on the sunvisors. The one prohibiting factor I would consider is cost. Honda accessories aren't cheap.
Defiantly appreciate your input
for me the biggest factor is the fear it will leak in a few years. I live in florida and we get copious amounts of rain for 8 months a year

The rollover isn't a huge factor for me, but it would always be on my mind
I have a beach catamaran that i tow. I dug deep into swl and gvw info and the car is only rated to carry 800 lbs in total added weight - so if you fill your cr-v with people and the place items on top - you have probably exceeded it's rating

I did a little research on it - interesting info here:
thecarcrashdetective.com/2016/06/rollover-survival-safest-small-suvs-crossovers-2016.html

·
Registered
192 Posts
Air deflector stick on thing is nice. Mostly protects the hood. I liked it so much I got one for my brother. For leather things I got the center console cover and a lace on shifter trim. They make aluminum covers to dress up the shifter now, so that is what I would get now.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
U-Haul 1.25" hitch to haul bikes, all weather mats, came with mud flaps and tint, that's pretty much it I think. It's my wife's car, so I haven't really done much to it. I'll be inheriting it in 3 or 4 years and buying her a Pilot, so then I'll start the modding lol.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
U-Haul 1.25" hitch to haul bikes
Word of caution if your using a bike stand or platform...
a class 1 (1.25") requires supplemental straps for use with a bike rack or platform: Curt will void any warranty without use of them (not sure what brand bike rack/platform you have but curt is a huge player in hitches so if they require that ... i would look into why

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Word of caution if your using a bike stand or platform...
a class 1 (1.25") requires supplemental straps for use with a bike rack or platform: Curt will void any warranty without use of them (not sure what brand bike rack/platform you have but curt is a huge player in hitches so if they require that ... i would look into why
Yea, I've heard of some people using straps. I never have though and never had a problem. I have a Yakima bike rack that I uses to transport 2 Trek mountain bikes. I drove from TX to VA with both on there and never had a problem. I honestly wouldn't even know where to hook a strap.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yea, I've heard of some people using straps. I never have though and never had a problem. I have a Yakima bike rack that I uses to transport 2 Trek mountain bikes. I drove from TX to VA with both on there and never had a problem. I honestly wouldn't even know where to hook a strap.
I think it depends a lot on your type of hitch
class 1 can be as low as 100lb tongue weight

my class 1 is 350 tongue weight
this is measured at the attachment point - by adding a tray (or rack), and having tongue weight past the hitch mount you are drastically reducing the safe working tongue weight

even if you don't have issues, you MAY be bouncing the fittings around and creating a bunch of stress - this is not a good thing with metal

So if you google the straps they seem to attach to the rack (or bike) and connect at the trunk (or hatch in a cr-v's case)
they probably don't "hold" much weight but reduce the bouncing goin on back there

YMMV

1 - 20 of 59 Posts