Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My CR-V has App installer, the web browser etc.
I have used the browser and that works fine, but the app installer requires APK files via USB and I know that their is the whitelist file that would need to be edited etc.

My question is what apps does Honda offer that I might be missing anything good for download because all I see are AhA and a few other uninteresting apps on their website. Nothing really useful and even with those would they just install or is Honda Hack / rooting still going to be needed?

What I am really looking for is a video player, any video player that can work via the USB port.

Rob

·
Registered
228 Posts
Hello Rob,
Ive tested this function briefly and here is what i found.
There are many apps that are compatible with the head-unit. They however live on your phone rather than downloaded on the limited storage capacity hard drive of the head unit. E.G. Netflix, YouTube etc. they each have a unique interface on the head-unit (via CarPlay or Android Auto when your phone is plugged) where you can see the title of whats playing, duration, minimal controls (pause, play, fast forward and backward etc)

For safety reasons, as far as i could find, there are currently no video playing apps that will project the actual video onto the head unit screen. (You can still kinda of do that by using the web browser and going to the website e.g www.youtube.com however once you move the shifter out of Park, the screen will turn blank but you will still hear the audio).

Most of the apps are news radio/music services, navigation, ebook readers, or voip services.

Best Apple CarPlay Apps:

Acast
Amazon Audible
Amazon Music
Audio Books by AudioBooks.com
audioBoom
CBS Radio News
Castro Podcast Player
Clammr Radio
Dash Radio
Deezer Music
Digital Concert Hall
Downcast
Free Audiobooks
Google Play Music
iHeartRadio
NPR One
MLB At Bat
Orange Radio
Overcast: Podcast Player
Pandora Radio
Radio Deejay
Radio Disney
SiriusXM Radio
Slacker Radio
Spotify
Stitcher Radio for Podcasts
Tidal
TuneIn Radio
VOX
WhatsApp

Android Auto Apps:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/collection/promotion_3001303_android_auto_all

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks Chinook, your post gave me a complete idea of all my options under each platform. Unfortunately I use Apple and that seems to have the worst selection, since it has no video players like Android.

It’s pretty sad that Honda did not include at least on built in video player. Even my 3 year old pioneer 4100 has a good one built in.

I hate doing a risky hack, so I will hold off a bit longer and see is something is released. BTW mine will not let me play any content while the engine is running, even if it is in park and the break is up!
Have the rest of you had that problem.

Rob

·
Registered
32 Posts
I am in even worse shape then you guys. this was covered on another thread, but honda removed the browser and a few other things on the newer crvs. I also don't think I want to hack the HU and take that risk. So I guess I am stuck running everything through android auto? does anyone have the web address for official apps that can be installed?

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's so darn confusing I am not even sure if it's still active or out of date.

https://ivhs.os.ixonos.com/honda/help-app-center.html

Click the car apps at the top to see some or maybe thats all of the apps. From what they are saying you have to sign up to see possibly more apps that you can buy. Who knows!

Rob

·
Registered
228 Posts

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks but I use an iPhone and it am trying to figure out how to install apps on the HU with the built in app installer or browser.

Rob

·
Registered
496 Posts
Have you found anything? its a shame there isnt much.. seems like such a waste of the potential functionality on the head unit.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, I was able to install Honda Hack via WiFi. If your model has a browser in the apps section your good to go. Besides installing mxplayer and some other cool apps I was able to make it auto click the OK button on startup, so goodbye nag screen. Also it allows me to make a USB thumb drive become a secondary drive for all applications. I was able to install Sygic Map App and throw the online maps onto the thumb drive. Also Mxplayer can play videos stored on it. I will probably try Waze shortly, they say it also works fine.

Rob

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't have the web browser ��
He's working on it. You can still get in with a USB-A to USB-a cable and a laptop if we only knew the password for the 2018's running the latest android OS. They found out the original password, I think it's only a matter of time before they find the new one.

Rob

·
Registered
496 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
ServiceNews Article
May 2018 A18050B Version 1
Hacking Can Cause Multiple Audio System Issues

AFFECTED VEHICLES

All models with display audio

Some customers have decided to follow procedures found on the Internet to hack the audio system and download
applications that we don't approve or support. This can cause multiple issues ranging from the audio unit/audionavigation
unit rebooting to the backup camera staying on all the time.

We clearly state in the owner's manual that software or services must not be modified or altered.

Any audio unit/audio-navigation units that's modified or altered isn't covered by warranty and any repairs to it will have to
be paid for by the customer.

If you come across an audio unit/audio-navigation unit that's acting oddly, you can quickly find out if it's because your
customer hacked it. Just select App List from the Home screen and look for extra icons like Honda Hack and Honda
Installer.

If you see those icons or any similar icons that would indicate a hack, let the service advisor know about it. He or she
will need to educate your customer on how downloading non-approved applications can damage the system and could
turn into a costly out-of-pocket repair.

·
Registered
309 Posts
It would be oh so nice if Honda cared 10% as much about it working right when the owner hasn't been in there mucking about as they care about it not working right when the owner has.

Yo, Honda! Are you listening?

They should publish an article "Using Can Cause Multiple Audio System Issues"

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ServiceNews Article
May 2018 A18050B Version 1
Hacking Can Cause Multiple Audio System Issues

AFFECTED VEHICLES

All models with display audio

Some customers have decided to follow procedures found on the Internet to hack the audio system and download
applications that we don't approve or support. This can cause multiple issues ranging from the audio unit/audionavigation
unit rebooting to the backup camera staying on all the time.

We clearly state in the owner's manual that software or services must not be modified or altered.

Any audio unit/audio-navigation units that's modified or altered isn't covered by warranty and any repairs to it will have to
be paid for by the customer.

If you come across an audio unit/audio-navigation unit that's acting oddly, you can quickly find out if it's because your
customer hacked it. Just select App List from the Home screen and look for extra icons like Honda Hack and Honda
Installer.

If you see those icons or any similar icons that would indicate a hack, let the service advisor know about it. He or she
will need to educate your customer on how downloading non-approved applications can damage the system and could
turn into a costly out-of-pocket repair.
If you read the 140+ pages on the XDA forum you will find that almost no one is having those kinds of issues! I think Honda is just trying to scare people away from messing with the system because when someone does it incorrectly and does not follow the simple instructions they can cause the HU not to boot up. Of course most people just carry the vehicle back to Honda and say it stopped working and Honda ends up footing the bill to replace the HU. So yes I can understand why they are going to using scare tactics.

When a HU has Hondahack on it, the coder included an option that removes it and all traces of any installed apps from the system. So if someone is worried about selling their vehicle, they can simple uninstall the complete hondahack and apps plus it will restore the original whitelist file.

Rob

·
Registered
309 Posts
I don't blame Honda at all for not wanting to eat bricked HUs. And anybody who's in there hacking and then goes to Honda and plays stupid asking Honda to do so is being dishonest and unethical.

[US Market qualifier] I just wish Honda cared enough to try to fix the product for customers who aren't hacking the thing but still see daily evidence of all the defects Honda shipped it with. And that they'd make what few fixes they do issue more readily available as satisfaction campaign items that dealers know Honda wants to pay them to perform without all the customer begging and grovelling, and demonstration of intermittent issues, and knowledge of the secret TSBs, and what not.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Help installing apps

I am pretty tech savvy but I don't have time to figure out how to install compatible apps such as Amazon Music on my 2017 CRV. I know that the apps "live" on my iphone. How to I get them to appear on the CRV screen? I happen to be sitting in my air conditioned house right now and don't want to go out the the car in 90 degree heat with 90% humidity without a plan on how to do this? Once I install the app on my iphone, does it automatically appear on the Car Play screen?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts