Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I am pretty tech savvy but I don't have time to figure out how to install compatible apps such as Amazon Music on my 2017 CRV. I know that the apps "live" on my iphone. How to I get them to appear on the CRV screen? I happen to be sitting in my air conditioned house right now and don't want to go out the the car in 90 degree heat with 90% humidity without a plan on how to do this? Once I install the app on my iphone, does it automatically appear on the Car Play screen?
No Apple car play limits you to certain apps. If you search the web you can find the list of apps.
Android auto is more flexible and as far as I know lets you put any app on the car screen. I use Apple and I also wanted the apps to be on the HU not on my phone.

Rob

·
Registered
511 Posts
Android auto basically limits you to audio/music only type apps. They are pretty strict at blocking any apps that show video or blocking video functionality in apps

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yes, I was able to install Honda Hack via WiFi. If your model has a browser in the apps section your good to go. Besides installing mxplayer and some other cool apps I was able to make it auto click the OK button on startup, so goodbye nag screen. Also it allows me to make a USB thumb drive become a secondary drive for all applications. I was able to install Sygic Map App and throw the online maps onto the thumb drive. Also Mxplayer can play videos stored on it. I will probably try Waze shortly, they say it also works fine.

Rob
Rob, et al,
I'm new to the forum, so I apologize in advance if I am not posting this correctly, new to forums too. Anyway, my wife and I just got the 2018 CR-V EX, and I have been following the threads on how I can somehow put Sygic navigation app onto the cr-v head unit (my phone has no data plan, so has to be Sygic or Copilot or MapMe, one of the nav apps that uses offline maps), and saw your reference to how you were able to separately put the maps onto a thumb drive, accessible by Sygic using the HHck.

I got the HHck from codeage (splurged and got the pro version), and installed it this weekend, and it installed without issue. All I wanted it for was the Sygic, really, and knew that the maps (I'm in New England so pretty dense roadways here and we really need multiple neighboring states) would not all fit on the Honda HU and I would probably need to get them, as you did, somehow onto the usb.

Now, here's where you may be able to help me out: In Hhck, I chose the option that said to allow writing to the USB drive and rebooted per Hhck instructions. I then chose the Sygic that is part of the HHck, and it prompted me if I wanted the Sygic that uses XX Gigs, or the Sygic that is apparently smaller, and only uses xx MB (I cannot recall the actual values, wish I had jotted it). The default choice pre-marked from the Sygic within HHck was for the version that used much less storage, only xx MB, so I chose that one. Loaded fine, and then within Sygic I proceeded to download my state, the map itself about 20 MB and took about 5 minutes-- not bad, if I recall.

I drove the car around and Sygic worked great on the HU (many thanks to you and others on this forum for your experiences and encouragements).

I then proceeded to download several of the other New England states since I am on a border of three of them, starting with the smaller ones, which also came down fine, but when I got to the remaining larger ones (the storage stats that I saw on the head unit were creeping up, but seemed to indicate I should have been able to squeeze the last states in easily). But I ran into quite a few download issues where the sygic map downloads ran forever, hung. I even tried to clear the various cache areas that HHck provides. But finally, one map download totally locked up and I had to do the hard reboot (unplugged the battery, etc.). So, I really would like to do what you did, i.e., separate the maps off to a usb. Took a while to download the 4 states I succeeded at, so I did manage to squeeze most of the local states onto the HU. But how did you manage to put your maps onto the USB? Did you perhaps choose the larger storage option for Sygic at the start and then maybe Sygic gave you a follow-up prompt asking if you wanted to install your maps off to a USB thumb drive? (Or does the write to usb map option only open up if you setup a sygic account, and somehow it then adds that menu item? (My Sygic still says 5 days remaining for their premium version).

Sorry to be so long winded, but although I am happy with Hhck and their version of Sygic with the few maps I was able to squeeze onto the HU storage with the Sygic app, I would much prefer to take your method.

If you cannot recall how you did it, I can try to post the question to the developer. But thought I'd ask here, and share my mostly positive experience with the HHck and Sygic.

Thanks!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yes, I was able to install Honda Hack via WiFi. If your model has a browser in the apps section your good to go. Besides installing mxplayer and some other cool apps I was able to make it auto click the OK button on startup, so goodbye nag screen. Also it allows me to make a USB thumb drive become a secondary drive for all applications. I was able to install Sygic Map App and throw the online maps onto the thumb drive. Also Mxplayer can play videos stored on it. I will probably try Waze shortly, they say it also works fine.

Rob
Rob, et al,
I'm new to the forum, and have a question relating to apps that I saw referenced in this thread. So I apologize in advance if I am not posting this correctly, new to forums too. Anyway, my wife and I just got the 2018 CR-V EX, and I have been following the threads on Sygic navigation app (my phone has no data plan, so has to be Sygic or Copilot or MapMe, one of the nav apps that uses offline maps), and saw your reference to how you were able to separately put the maps onto a thumb drive, accessible by Sygic using the codeage HHck method.

I got the HHck from codeage (splurged and got the pro version), and installed it this weekend, and it installed without issue. All I wanted it for was the Sygic, really, and knew that the maps (I'm in New England so pretty dense roadways here and we really need multiple neighboring states) would not all fit on the Honda HU and I would probably need to get them, as you did, somehow onto the usb.

Now, here's where you may be able to help me out: In Hhck, I chose the option that said to allow writing to the USB drive and rebooted per Hhck instructions. I then chose the Sygic that is part of the HHck, and it prompted me if I wanted the Sygic that uses XX Gigs, or the Sygic that is apparently smaller, and only uses xx MB (I cannot recall the actual values, wish I had jotted it). The default choice pre-marked from the Sygic within HHck was for the version that used much less storage, only xx MB, so I chose that one. Loaded fine, and then within Sygic I proceeded to download my state, the map itself about 20 MB and took about 5 minutes-- not bad, if I recall.

I drove the car around and Sygic worked great on the HU (many thanks to you and others on this forum for your experiences and encouragements).

I then proceeded to download several of the other New England states since I am on a border of three of them, starting with the smaller ones, which also came down fine, but when I got to the remaining larger ones (the storage stats that I saw on the head unit were creeping up, but seemed to indicate I should have been able to squeeze the last states in easily). But I ran into quite a few download issues where the sygic map downloads ran forever, hung. I even tried to clear the various cache areas that HHck provides. One map download totally locked up, so I quit while I was ahead.

So, I really would like to do what you did, i.e., to separate the Sygic maps off to a usb. Took a while to download the 4 states I succeeded at, so I did manage to squeeze most of the local states on. But how did you manage to put your maps onto the USB thumb drive? I made sure I chose the HHCK option first to allow writing to USB before I brought down sygic, and I made sure I had a valid thumb drive in the usb port. Did you perhaps choose the larger storage option for Sygic at the start and then maybe Sygic gave you a follow-up prompt asking if you wanted to install your maps off to a USB thumb drive? (Or does the write to usb map option only open up if you setup a sygic account, and somehow it then adds that menu item? (My Sygic still says 5 days remaining for their premium version).

Sorry to be so long winded, but although I am happy with Hhck and their version of Sygic with the few maps I was able to squeeze onto the HU storage with the Sygic app, I would much prefer to use the way you did it.

If you cannot recall how you did it, I can try to post the question to the developer. But thought I'd ask here, and share my very positive experience with the HHck and Sygic, and of course my new CR-V 2018! Love the car so far.

Thanks!

Tim

·
Registered
25 Posts
Update on my question from someone who got back to me on the adk developer site. Is this the method below that the others on this CR-V forum used to get Honda Hack's Sygic app to be able to store and read its maps from the CR-V's USB drive? I'm going to give it a try this weekend.
Thanks!
Tim

Here is the suggestion given to me:
"I have Sygic installed with all data on my USB drive. The drive is formatted FAT32 and is plugged into the right USB connector.
If you install a file explorer, see if it detects a USB drive as USBdrive2. This is your USB drive.
According to the Sygic web site you can move the install to the USB drive. Once I did that, I took the drive inside to my PC and using Mapdownloader, I downloaded all the maps I wanted and copied them to the USB drive. I also installed an Android emulator on my PC and installed Sygic on the emulator, Set all my favorite places on Sygic on the emulator and then copied the DB folder to my USB drive. Plugged the USB drive back in the car and all is good."

·
Registered
620 Posts
I installed the drive in the second usb slot. Then in sygeric go to settings, maps and data storage and you can choose the second drive. Then you can download to that

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Sorry I am late to the party, but I am happy that you got it sorted out.
Like Phaereous I also have my maps installed to the USB drive. Today I have actually been playing with google maps since it now works with IOS 12. One thing that has gotten my attention is that it has an offline map download feature. I just wonder if it keeps the maps permanently or does it delete them after a set time period. If it is permanent it might be my new go to mapping app.

Rob

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
3,330 Posts
Sorry I am late to the party, but I am happy that you got it sorted out.
Like Phaereous I also have my maps installed to the USB drive. Today I have actually been playing with google maps since it now works with IOS 12. One thing that has gotten my attention is that it has an offline map download feature. I just wonder if it keeps the maps permanently or does it delete them after a set time period. If it is permanent it might be my new go to mapping app.

Rob
I have an Android phone, but my experience with Google Maps offline is that they expire after a fixed time, but I get a message that the downloaded maps are expiring, and do I want to re-download or keep them? I forget the exact message.

I'm not sure if this would be the case with Apple phones.

EDIT, there is a menu dropdown on the Google Maps app on the (Android) phone that shows the "Offline" maps, and their status...expired or date it expires, and gives you an option to update the offline map supposedly to a further date.

·
Registered
25 Posts
phareous,
Thanks. That makes sense, since last weekend the first option screen that appeared from Sygic during the install asked what amt of INTERNAL storage I should install to (the term "internal" threw me off, but probably described that was since normally on a phone you have the option to write to the internal SD card), and had I chosen the 7GB one (my thumb drive that I had in car's USB 2, then it might have done a clean install of the maps straight to that usb. So I am trying a few things with your suggestion and I am making progress, to the point that it asked be if it should transfer the 2 maps that were on the HU over to the &GB "internal" drive, which it did, since I can see the files if I put the thumb on my laptop. BUT, how sygic seems unable to restart by finding the car USB#2 where I have placed the thumb drive again to startup with the maps that are out there. It seems to want to download my home map again. So, I may continue this battle tomorrow. I'll let you all know how I finally do. Thanks again for the tip, since that is what I am missing.
Tim

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
phareous,
Thanks. That makes sense, since last weekend the first option screen that appeared from Sygic during the install asked what amt of INTERNAL storage I should install to (the term "internal" threw me off, but probably described that was since normally on a phone you have the option to write to the internal SD card), and had I chosen the 7GB one (my thumb drive that I had in car's USB 2, then it might have done a clean install of the maps straight to that usb. So I am trying a few things with your suggestion and I am making progress, to the point that it asked be if it should transfer the 2 maps that were on the HU over to the &GB "internal" drive, which it did, since I can see the files if I put the thumb on my laptop. BUT, how Sygic seems unable to restart by finding the car USB#2 where I have placed the thumb drive again to startup with the maps that are out there. It seems to want to download my home map again. So, I may continue this battle tomorrow. I'll let you all know how I finally do. Thanks again for the tip, since that is what I am missing.
Tim
I made the same mistake as far as using the main USB port to install the maps to. When I realized they would work in the second port I was happy, as I could now have a cable in the first one for Carplay and have my music and maps in a stick in the second port. Well it was kind of a nightmare as the Sygic app would see the map but it was giving me loads of problems saving locations plus other little annoying issues. I have tried erasing the map and reinstalling them, but that has not helped.

My next idea is to just uninstall the Map and clean off the left over files on the stick then uninstall the app and start over. I think the software just does not work right if you change from the original USB port.

Rob

·
Registered
25 Posts
Rob,
Took some trial and error, but I finally got Sygic to work with maps on usb. Then I exited Sygic, saw in what folder on usb they were written, and downloaded onto my pc using a Sygic map downloader 4 more states onto pc then to usb via the pc thinking I would take a shortcut. Put usb back into port 2 and started Sygic but it could only see the maps on the usb I had downloaded from head unit. Also found removing usb and launching Sygic w/o any in port 2 forced Sygic to try to download my home state again which messed up Sygic big time. I’ll redo from scratch tomorrow, but agree with you that Sygic from using it on a couple rides was not the greatest. Seemed like voice turn by turn was absent sometimes. But thought it would be nice to have on the cr-v 7 inch display. Let us know how you make out with google maps saved offline and how their expiration works.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I suspect that each time it downloads a map it writes the info into a data file. It seems like its unable to just scan the folder and find maps that are dropped there. It does the same thing with favorite places etc. If I stick the USB stick into port 1 I get all the old favorites that I stored when it was in port1. If I stick it into port2 all I can see are the recent favorites that I stored while it was in port2.

For the sound to work on Sygic I have to select the iPod audio from the source selection which pretty much kills using songs on the USB stick. I have not noticed any drop outs with it but as you said its not a great mapping system but it will get you from point A to B just not with as many fancy features as Google or Garmin. I need off line mapping so it's the best game in town for me.

Rob

·
Registered
866 Posts
I suspect that each time it downloads a map it writes the info into a data file. It seems like its unable to just scan the folder and find maps that are dropped there. It does the same thing with favorite places etc. If I stick the USB stick into port 1 I get all the old favorites that I stored when it was in port1. If I stick it into port2 all I can see are the recent favorites that I stored while it was in port2.

Rob
Just throwing this out there, if you're right you may be able to edit the config file and tell it where to find things.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
Quick update: I checked in the settings About info, and the version of Sygic that comes as a downloadable app directly from Honda hack is their Sygic GPS app. The downloader I found and used to download maps to my laptop is apparently downloading the other flavor of maps from Sygic, for their Sygic Car App (which is another way to get Sygic up on your car display screen, and it uses a whole different aproach that what we are doing with Honda Hack. The map files I got from the downloader have different file extensions in each state's map folder, so no wonder The Honda Hack Sygic will not recognize them. I will just live with the honda hack Sygic with just my home state on the head unit and use my CoPilot app on my iPhone when I go out of state, since there are some quirky things that happen involving Sygic locking up in a big way if you forget to have that Thumb drive in the correct USB port. Soon, Sygic, and I hope CoPilot, the other app that has all of its maps offline on the phone itself, will have compatible versions with Apple IOS 12, and Apple Car Play in our CR-V's, and then that will probably be a bit less troublesome option (though we will have to keep our phones plugged into port#1 to be recognize by Apple Car Play. I have to keep my phone in the charger in the car for CoPilot anyway as it is now, since the GPS polling really drains the battery on my old iPhone. But if anyone wants to try transfer their Honda Hack Sygic maps to the USB since they need several state maps that are large, I can try to help. Thanks to those who gave me pointers on this forum so I could at least see how it works.
Tim

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Quick update: I checked in the settings About info, and the version of Sygic that comes as a downloadable app directly from Honda hack is their Sygic GPS app. The downloader I found and used to download maps to my laptop is apparently downloading the other flavor of maps from Sygic, for their Sygic Car App (which is another way to get Sygic up on your car display screen, and it uses a whole different aproach that what we are doing with Honda Hack. The map files I got from the downloader have different file extensions in each state's map folder, so no wonder The Honda Hack Sygic will not recognize them. I will just live with the honda hack Sygic with just my home state on the head unit and use my CoPilot app on my iPhone when I go out of state, since there are some quirky things that happen involving Sygic locking up in a big way if you forget to have that Thumb drive in the correct USB port. Soon, Sygic, and I hope CoPilot, the other app that has all of its maps offline on the phone itself, will have compatible versions with Apple IOS 12, and Apple Car Play in our CR-V's, and then that will probably be a bit less troublesome option (though we will have to keep our phones plugged into port#1 to be recognize by Apple Car Play. I have to keep my phone in the charger in the car for CoPilot anyway as it is now, since the GPS polling really drains the battery on my old iPhone. But if anyone wants to try transfer their Honda Hack Sygic maps to the USB since they need several state maps that are large, I can try to help. Thanks to those who gave me pointers on this forum so I could at least see how it works.
Tim
I never used the one on the HH site. It was not even listed at the time I installed it. I think I installed the latest version and used the maps it provided with the online download. If I was you I would try the latest version, I think it works fine with 4.2.2 Android. You also get the benefit of getting updated maps when they come out.

Rob

·
Registered
25 Posts
I never used the one on the HH site. It was not even listed at the time I installed it. I think I installed the latest version and used the maps it provided with the online download. If I was you I would try the latest version, I think it works fine with 4.2.2 Android. You also get the benefit of getting updated maps when they come out.

Rob
Rob,
Thanks for that tip. Yes, the HH now does include Sygic as of the latest HH release, and after I downloaded it as a HH app, I used it for a week, and then and I paid $14 for the lifetime premium of Sygic once it was working to my satisfaction, so that should give me the map updates as they come out going forward.
Tim

·
Registered
25 Posts

Rob
Rob,
Thanks for that tip. Yes, the HH now does include Sygic as of the latest HH release, and after I downloaded it as a HH app, I used it for a week, and then and I paid $14 for the lifetime premium of Sygic once it was working to my satisfaction, so that should give me the map updates as they come out going forward.
Tim

·
Registered
27 Posts
You guys are lucky! I'm still waiting to be able to link with the car and have access to receive messages from Honda, monitor what's up with my engine and feel safe in knowing should I have ab accident, my car will notify someone that I need help. I'll be happy if those things, as I was told by the dealership all worked great!, will ever be available to me.

·
Registered
620 Posts
You guys are lucky! I'm still waiting to be able to link with the car and have access to receive messages from Honda, monitor what's up with my engine and feel safe in knowing should I have ab accident, my car will notify someone that I need help. I'll be happy if those things, as I was told by the dealership all worked great!, will ever be available to me.
1. Never any messages
2. Can't monitor anything other than mileage and oil minder, and it usually won't even update that
3. Not missing much

Compared to other models like Odyssey and Accord, the HondaLink in the CRV is a joke

21 - 40 of 45 Posts