Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unbelievable that you made the 1.5 Turbo the base engine for 2020! An engine with noted problems anywhere one looks on the web. I for one am happy I bought a 2019 and have the non-turbo 2.4. More unbelievable that you do not seem eager to fix the issue! Whatever happened to the concern for quality!

·
Registered
2017 CRV EX AWD
820 Posts
Unbelievable that you made the 1.5 Turbo the base engine for 2020! An engine with noted problems anywhere one looks on the web. I for one am happy I bought a 2019 and have the non-turbo 2.4. More unbelievable that you do not seem eager to fix the issue! Whatever happened to the concern for quality!

·
Registered
2017 CRV EX AWD
820 Posts
So you see nothing wrong with the 1.5 Turbo?
Absolutely nothing

I don’t work anymore and my wife has a work vehicle so the crv gets short trips 90% of use and occasional road trip.
My daughter kindergarten drop off is under 2 miles and we live in a cold winter area and no OD, I get 35+ mpg on roadtrips.

past vehicles are

1995 240sx
1999 civic
2002 civic si
2004 element awd
2005 tsx
2006 supercharged civic si
2005 scion xb
2008 element awd
2013 rdx tech awd
2015 mdx tech awd
2017 crv ex awd
(2018 equinox lt wifes work truck)

i’ve had tons of honda/acura motors, the 1.5t isnt a rocket but its leaps n bounds beyond what the few clowns in the internet who are scared of it blowing up 5/6yrs down the line with 0 dying so far!

i feel all the guys here grasping at straws on the crv issues read stories after purchase, panicking and hoping to pressure lemon law based on others problems.

hondas 2.4L motor has been around for over a decade and its time has past. Move on... honda has

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all of the input. The problem is not as bad as I was led to believe. I still do not like turbos. It is one one thing to go wrong. I had one in the 80's. 100,000 miles and I had to replace it. My current 2.4 crv is my first Honda. After owning a Camry that was trouble free for over 200,000 miles with zero problems, the Honda has big shoes to fill.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
Wonder if anything has changed over the past 40 years, regarding turblows? I think the acceleration in the turblowed V is amazing.......and I get 25-26 mpg farting around town to boot......again, amazing.

After 30 months......one trip to the dealership to replace the shifter button. Am I a Honda fan boy......I don’t think so, just telling my experience like it’s been.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great that your experience has been good.

One surprising thing for me is the gas mileage. I track my fuel mileage on Fuelly and my running average is 28.6 for 11,000 miles. My running average was 28 for the Camry over the last five or so years. Amazing considering I have AWD and a less streamlined vehicle.

Another thing I see they did for 2020 that I think is ridiculous - turning the engine off when stopped at a stop light. Glad they have a switch to disable that feature.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Thanks for all of the input. The problem is not as bad as I was led to believe. I still do not like turbos. It is one one thing to go wrong. I had one in the 80's. 100,000 miles and I had to replace it. My current 2.4 crv is my first Honda. After owning a Camry that was trouble free for over 200,000 miles with zero problems, the Honda has big shoes to fill.
The 1.5T, when you actually take the various scattered complaints you are reacting to in context, is a fine engine.

You can find maybe... what 500 or so actual unique complaints on the internet about this engine (you do have to separate out obvious duplicates from the internet because some disgruntled owners will post the same rant across a dozen different locations). People love to complain and hate to take time to actually compliment, but let's assume for the sake of a napkin analysis here that actual complaints on the internet are one order of magnitude lower than actual problems (a common metric for internet based reporting of auto complaints)... then we assume 5000 objective and unique complaints in the field. Could be more, could be less, but this is a reasonable baseline.

NOW.. how many 1.5Ts in the field, and for how long? Answer: there are more then 5 million in the field world wide now, and they have been pushing them out in volume production since late 2016 (first in Civics, then in CRVs, and now in Accords). 5000 defectives in the field of 5 million engines = 0.001% defect rate, which honestly is comparable to just about every engine in the field, including the traditional 2.4L (which is also direct injection now days, and all direct injection engines share a common reality of fuel dilution of oil).

You can feel anxious about the 1.5T and choose not to get one. That is your choice. But the field data does not support your anxieties being expressed. If you do not want a small turbo engine in a motor vehicle, your options are severely limited as more companies put more small turbos as their main powertrain in their vechicles.

Your worry about the turbo being one more thing to go bad... is fallacy. The turbo is actually one of the most reliable components in the gen5 CRV. It is manufactured by a world class provider of turbos for auto and industrial use (Mitsubishi Heavy Industries). There are literally hundreds of different mechanical, electronic, and electo-mechanical components and subsystems in all these modern vehicles. If that worries you as points of failure, best stick with old classics like a 57 Chevy restored, and still a bucket beast. :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The 1.5T, when you actually take the various scattered complaints you are reacting to in context, is a fine engine.

You can find maybe... what 500 or so actual unique complaints on the internet about this engine (you do have to separate out obvious duplicates from the internet because some disgruntled owners will post the same rant across a dozen different locations). People love to complain and hate to take time to actually compliment, but let's assume for the sake of a napkin analysis here that actual complaints on the internet are one order of magnitude lower than actual problems (a common metric for internet based reporting of auto complaints)... then we assume 5000 objective and unique complaints in the field. Could be more, could be less, but this is a reasonable baseline.

NOW.. how many 1.5Ts in the field, and for how long? Answer: there are more then 5 million in the field world wide now, and they have been pushing them out in volume production since late 2016 (first in Civics, then in CRVs, and now in Accords). 5000 defectives in the field of 5 million engines = 0.001% defect rate, which honestly is comparable to just about every engine in the field, including the traditional 2.4L (which is also direct injection now days, and all direct injection engines share a common reality of fuel dilution of oil).

You can feel anxious about the 1.5T and choose not to get one. That is your choice. But the field data does not support your anxieties being expressed. If you do not want a small turbo engine in a motor vehicle, your options are severely limited as more companies put more small turbos as their main powertrain in their vechicles.

Your worry about the turbo being one more thing to go bad... is fallacy. The turbo is actually one of the most reliable components in the gen5 CRV. It is manufactured by a world class provider of turbos for auto and industrial use (Mitsubishi Heavy Industries). There are literally hundreds of different mechanical, electronic, and electo-mechanical components and subsystems in all these modern vehicles. If that worries you as points of failure, best stick with old classics like a 57 Chevy restored, and still a bucket beast. :)
Thanks for your input which sounds very logical to me. Either way I will not be in the market for a car for quite awhile, but will follow the reliability of the turbo. CR still recommends it and I respect their opinions for the most part.
I did not think my 2.4 was direct injection. I will look into that to see for sure.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Another thing I see they did for 2020 that I think is ridiculous - turning the engine off when stopped at a stop light. Glad they have a switch to disable that feature.
Auto stop/start is probably going to be mandatory in a few years. Blame almost-unattainable fuel economy standards.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quite the contrary. My opinion has been changed by several of the people who commented what their experience has been. If BoostedV would read the link he would see that it supports all the other comments that were posted and that is not the severe problem portrayed on the Internet. Thanks to all who educated me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.