Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Buying this 2018 Touring, and the passenger seat only looks like this. Any clues as to why, and how to go about fixing it? Thanks 馃槉
Motor vehicle Automotive design Car seat cover Comfort Vehicle

Premium Member
2019 Acura RDX Aspec
Buying this 2018 Touring, and the passenger seat only looks like this. Any clues as to why, and how to go about fixing it? Thanks 馃槉
is it being sat it. Sometimes fabrics need to be stretched

Premium Member
2019 Acura RDX Aspec
Not sure. It is for sale at a dealer. They aren't sure what caused it. We wonder if it was someone using the heated seats while wet
Pic wasnt up when i posted lol
That looks like water damage then soming left on it, worst seat ive seen lol

Could even be someone morbidly obese and thats sweat.

run lol

Super Moderator
2007 Accord EX 2020 CR-V Hybrid EX
Maybe send those photos to a local auto upholstery shop and ask if there is any hope?
The car may have carried a very heavy passenger. I'd check the seat for hidden damage.

Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
Welcome to the forum Susan685 :)

We wonder if it was someone using the heated seats while wet
That would be my guess too. If you think about it.. on a "leather style" seat like that.. and given people who need the seat heated are probably entering from wet or snowy weather.... it makes sense that a combination of wet clothing and seat warming.. could do that very effect over time.

The question though is.. is this embedded in the cushioning.. or is it just wrinkling of the seat covering itself? Because putting new seat covers on deformed cushions.. will likely mean.. rinse and repeat seat cover wrinkling.

If it were me.. setting aside I would never buy a vehicle with ivory seat coverings... after checking to make sure that was not damage due to long hours of a Sumo wrestler driving it... I would just accept it as is and put a good quality set of sheepskin covers over them. A CRV seat is really really comfy with a sheepskin top layer over the OEM seat. Also neutralizes uncomfortable hot and cold seats when you climb in. I use them more for the benefit in hot weather than in cold in fact.

Good luck with what you decide on that vehicle. :)

Super Moderator
2007 Accord EX 2020 CR-V Hybrid EX
Welcome to the forum Susan685 :)

That would be my guess too. If you think about it.. on a "leather style" seat like that.. and given people who need the seat heated are probably entering from wet or snowy weather.... it makes sense that a combination of wet clothing and seat warming.. could do that very effect over time.

The question though is.. is this embedded in the cushioning.. or is it just wrinkling of the seat covering itself? Because putting new seat covers on deformed cushions.. will likely mean.. rinse and repeat seat cover wrinkling.

If it were me.. setting aside I would never buy a vehicle with ivory seat coverings... after checking to make sure that was not damage due to long hours of a Sumo wrestler driving it... I would just accept it as is and put a good quality set of sheepskin covers over them. A CRV seat is really really comfy with a sheepskin top layer over the OEM seat. Also neutralizes uncomfortable hot and cold seats when you climb in. I use them more for the benefit in hot weather than in cold in fact.

Good luck with what you decide on that vehicle. :)
That Sumo wrestler would have to have been driving from the passenger seat. :)
But I agree it looks like overstress. Usually it's the driver's seat that shows wear, it's occupied 100% of the time (presumably).
There may be chemicals that can shrink that down, an upholstery shop would know.

Premium Member
2020 CRV EX-L Platinum White Pearl/Ivory
It almost looks like the seat leather covers were replaced....poorly, possibly by the dealer rather than sending out to a good upholstery shop. Had to have a new lower cover installed on my 2016 Civic EX-L, they sent it out to an excellent local shop, did a good job, you couldn't tell it from new.

The. Admin. Istrator.
Unless the dealer replaced that seat, no way in hell I'd buy that car, no matter the price/mileage etc.

Thats a shocking state and am amazed they think it can be sold without anyone batting an eyelid.

Walk away.

Reactions: HondaVet7 and PhilF

Registered
Seat heater doesn't do that. We have had standard heated seats as long as I can remember, people use them with wet/snowy clothes all the time. This would be commonplace.

Reactions: TheDarkKnight

Super Moderator - How may I help?
Well, you said "buying" implying that you haven't bought it yet. Is this from a dealer?

If it were me, I would have the seat looked at by an upholstery shop PRIOR to agreeing to purchase the CR-V.

Reactions: PhilF

Super Moderator
It almost looks like the seat leather covers were replaced....poorly, possibly by the dealer rather than sending out to a good upholstery shop. Had to have a new lower cover installed on my 2016 Civic EX-L, they sent it out to an excellent local shop, did a good job, you couldn't tell it from new.
The seat covers in gen5 CRVs.. and probably all current generation Hondas, are designed such that they can be fairly easily stripped off and replaced with new ones... at least for leather/pleather seat covers. You would have to follow the Honda instructions for replacing the cover. Basically, I think Honda has moved to making seat covers a wear item, easily replaceable, and that makes it very easy for dealers to address seat covering problems or issues. Of course the OEM seat covers will be sold at very inflated prices in the parts stores. Which raises the question.. why was the cover not replaced... or they did and it was a badly performed job.

So it is possible that someone replaced the seat cover and did a bad job... crinkling up the foam padding underneath. That would certainly set up the conditions for something like this to happen from sitting after the change out. But why would a dealer put something like this on a lot on a fairly recent model CRV? Makes no sense.. so.. raises suspicions.

And thinking more about it.. the seat cover looks extremely clean for a ivory seat in a used vehicle. So.. could be the cover was swapped out, but poorly, or.. it could maybe be that someone did a deep and aggressive cleaning on the seat to get that ivory to be fresh looking ivory again. If so.. they may have caused the seating material to weaken and stretch.

In any event.. I agree with the consensus to have the seat properly evaluated by a qualified shop before committing to buy it. Thing is.. that may cost as much as simply replacing the seat cover by the time you are done... so this really rests on the dealer to fix this.. and not a prospective buyer to go on the hook to pay to have it properly evaluated.

Heh.... what will get this addressed would be multiple possible buyers looking at it, shaking their head, and walking away.. leaving the dealer with a vehicle nobody wants until they address a fairly simple correction to an issue.

Premium Member
Those marks don't look anything like stretched leather. It looks like someone had the leather off, and replaced it (very poorly) with new leather, almost as though the new leather was folded or wadded up in a box and then stretched over the seat. Especially in the seat back, those look like creases and wrinkles, not stretches. And the back of the bottom cushion looks like the padding beneath was not put in place properly. (And that could be the case for the wrinkly seat back as well.)

I'd definitely pass on buying one like that unless the dealer replaced that leather properly.

Reactions: HondaVet7

Registered
1999 CRV Lx
I'm not expert but some areas where there are wrinkles it kind of look like it shrunk. Whether because there was a hot something there or when the leather is heated with a hair blower or heat gun but it got too hot and shrunk perhaps the foam inside melted or degraded as well.

I've seen videos of how to make the leather stretch(making it wet) and shrink(by applying heat) to force the leather to mold and smooth out when putting it back together.

What ever happened, it's not good.

Super Moderator
So.. interestingly.. Over the weekend.. I was pulling off a fabric cover from a cushion in my dogs bed to run it through the wash. Guess what I saw in the foam cushion inside the fabric cover... EXACTLY the same sort of wrinkling. It was an instant.. "where have I seen that before" moment.. and I recalled this thread topic.

So.. I bet if the cover is removed from this seat.. you will find severe wrinkling in the foam. How that transferred to the seat cover... probably body warmth and body sweating.

No idea if it correlates with this seat wrinkling in question ... but I would not rule it out. If it is a similar thing.. then putting a new cover over the seat will not solve the problem long term. The seat foam and support needs to be evaluated.

I still think that the seat cover may be a replacement (due to old ivory seat cover being stained or blemished) and they simply did a poor job and wrinkled up the seat cushion material as they did so.

Registered
2020 Touring Hybrid
I think someone may have been murdered in that seat. Followed by cleaning the cover with bleach, then removing the seat and heating to a very high temperature in a kiln to kill any remaining DNA 馃槺

Registered
I'm thinking someone had the leather seat covers off to replace a faulty seat heater element but did not install them very carefully.

Registered
Buying this 2018 Touring, and the passenger seat only looks like this. Any clues as to why, and how to go about fixing it? Thanks 馃槉 View attachment 149424 View attachment 149424
Looks like the cover and foam padding underneath has been damaged. Notice the rear part of the seat is also deformed. I think a solvent or excessive heat was used for some reason which resulted in what we see.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts