Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Folks,

Yes!! Another tire questing. I've narrowed down my search between the Firestone Destination LE2 and the Continental LX20 Eco Plus for my 2011 4wd. I know people using both tires, but on larger SUVs. Both gave good reviews and are pretty much equal on the comparison chart on TireRack. Anyone have either tire on a Gen 3 4wd?

Thanks!

Lew

Firestone:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...5TR7DLE2&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

Conti:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...R7CCLX20&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. I guess...You can go Trolling somewhere else now. :)

Anyhoo, let me preface that I don't have the money to spend $150+\tire on a Defender.. After doing more reading, I'm adding the General AltiMax RT43 to the list and dropping the Conti. Anyone have experience with the Firestone or General?

Thanks!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Welp, after researching, reading, more research and more reading, I went with the Continental True Contact. Not too many reviews for snow, but they received awesome reviews for everything else and beat the Defender and General RT43 and other Standard Touring tires in a shoot out. I'll report back once we get snow here, but I have a feeling if you want a tire that's just as good or better than the Michelin Defender at $50 less\ea, this may be the tire to get.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...TR7TRUEC&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

·
Registered
8 Posts
It would interesting to know how those work out. We get lots of rain, not so much snow, but how they do once the weather gets cold would be great information.

I have defenders on my Corolla, yes they were more expensive than other brands, but the tire was the quietest I could find and I got them at CostCo with the $70 rebate, so it came close to the same price as other tires like the Continental.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update:

We put about 1500 miles on the tires and are a HUGE improvement from the Fuzions that were on the car. Super quiet on the hwy and are great in the wet. We got some slushy snow here over the weekend and the traction was also great! We are getting 3-5" of snow overnight, so I'll report back once I can get some seat time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have Conti ExtremeContact DWS hicgh performance on my Maxima, and yeah they have the softest sidewalls I've ever had. But that's sorta what you get with the snow performance from an allseason.

We've got a gen 3 2011 and it's almost time for replacement (4/32" front, 5 rear), and want to go with something quiet, as the CRV has a bit more road noise than it should, imo.

Thinking Defenders (as that's what was on her old car and they were great)...to the OP...careful with the Contis, they tend to get loud as the tread goes down from my experience with the ones on my Maxima.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have Conti ExtremeContact DWS hicgh performance on my Maxima, and yeah they have the softest sidewalls I've ever had. But that's sorta what you get with the snow performance from an allseason.

We've got a gen 3 2011 and it's almost time for replacement (4/32" front, 5 rear), and want to go with something quiet, as the CRV has a bit more road noise than it should, imo.

Thinking Defenders (as that's what was on her old car and they were great)...to the OP...careful with the Contis, they tend to get loud as the tread goes down from my experience with the ones on my Maxima.
Thanks for the reply. Nothing could be as loud as the Fuzions that came on the car. Just an awful awful tire. I finally had a chance to drive the CRV in the snow yesterday. I was very impressed with the traction of tires mixed with the 4wd. From a stop, I would get the tires spinning to engage the rears, and the car kept going straight. Powering through a turn, you can feel the rear end starting to kick out but only to have it correct itself. So far, so good, but being a new tire this year, only time will tell how long these will last.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well...And then the blizzard hit...

Took the kids to the sledding hill this past Saturday when the snow was falling. Car did fine in light\medium snow. No issues. This morning we had huge drifts in front of our garage. I cleared those but the alley (our garages are not attached, they are behind the house with alley access) still had about a foot of snow. My wife pulled out of the garage and got the front tires spinning a little, then the 4wd kicked in and she had no issues getting out.

All in all, I'm a big fan of these Conti True Contacts. I would definitely recommend them.

Cheers,

Lew

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.