Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it turns out the 02 ex I just bought has many issues, I feel like a damn fool. The whole evap canister needs to be replaced (bad solenoid is rusted on), IMRC solenoid needs replaced, tires are dry rotted and splitting between treads, PS pump is leaking, front left axle boot is ripped and slinging grease all over the place, and rear right sway linkage is working it’s way towards needing replaced. Do I spend the ~$2500 to address all these issues or do I just try to sell it for as much as I can get? I paid $3200 for it, so both my gut and my brain are telling me to abandon ship. The mechanic told me I got burned, it happens when you buy used cars. What would you do? My worry with doing repairs is these problems being the pretty massive tip of a very expensive and miserable iceberg.

·
Registered
470 Posts
It all depends on you. My 2001 costed me $5,300 five years ago. I’ve easily dumped thousands of dollars in to my CR-V. I’m 100% satisfied with mine, not only due to the money I’ve invested in to, but knowing how much more life I can get out of it. I keep modifying mine and adding rare parts, because I know there won’t be anymore available parts in the future. If you like the car, keep it going. If you believe it’s a money pit, salvage your funds and find another candidate.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It all depends on you. My 2001 costed me $5,300 five years ago. I’ve easily dumped thousands of dollars in to my CR-V. I’m 100% satisfied with mine, not only due to the money I’ve invested in to, but knowing how much more life I can get out of it. I keep modifying mine and adding rare parts, because I know there won’t be anymore available parts in the future. If you like the car, keep it going. If you believe it’s a money pit, salvage your funds and find another candidate.
My only concern is not knowing about the vehicles history. If I knew it had been well cared for over it’s life it would be a no brainer to fix these issues, I’m not even sure if trans oil has been changed once in 190k miles. I think what gives me major pause is the idea of dropping that kind of money into it now, then six months down the line the transmission dies or something. Thanks for your input, you definitely added a check in the fix it column.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I’m about to do a suspension overhaul in the near future. Started looking in to the cost of parts as my labor is my skills. Have to tackle certain parts like lower ball joints, rear trail arm bushings, and may need to invest in tools again. As far as not knowing what condition you’re given, if your mechanically inclined, I would say change the fluids your self. I replaced everything just to be sure on my end. Hope all works well for you!

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts
So it turns out the 02 ex I just bought has many issues, I feel like a damn fool. The whole evap canister needs to be replaced (bad solenoid is rusted on), IMRC solenoid needs replaced, tires are dry rotted and splitting between treads, PS pump is leaking, front left axle boot is ripped and slinging grease all over the place, and rear right sway linkage is working it’s way towards needing replaced. Do I spend the ~$2500 to address all these issues or do I just try to sell it for as much as I can get? I paid $3200 for it, so both my gut and my brain are telling me to abandon ship. The mechanic told me I got burned, it happens when you buy used cars. What would you do? My worry with doing repairs is these problems being the pretty massive tip of a very expensive and miserable iceberg.
I can't imagine why that list would cost that much to fix unless you have all the work done in a shop. I would never recommend anyone take on a project car unless they are skilled enough to do most or all of the work themselves. Do the work yourself and the cost is way, way less. This isn't that much. If you can't do that, then you have gotten yourself into quite the pickle. Sell the car and go find another, better one. This time, get a Carfax, which costs $40 and will give you most of the car's history. And don't expect to be able to buy an 18-year old car with no issues. Even a two or three year old car will have some.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can anyone direct me to a parts list for the evap canister system? I’m getting a hookup on labor and am beginning the process of ordering parts. The solenoid is rusted onto the canister so I will have to replace the whole shebang. Do I just need the canister itself and a two way valve or is that different than the bypass solenoid and I would need all three components?

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Take a look at rock auto dot com for parts.

Reading stories (threads) like this kind of make me sick. A friend of mine sold his '08 EX 153k mile CR-V to car max for $4k. It had a fresh oil change and new tires on it and basically didn't have any problems at all with it. He was just ready for a new car since he retired recently.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Take a look at rock auto dot com for parts.

Reading stories (threads) like this kind of make me sick. A friend of mine sold his '08 EX 153k mile CR-V to car max for $4k. It had a fresh oil change and new tires on it and basically didn't have any problems at all with it. He was just ready for a new car since he retired recently.
Ugh yeah it’s heartbreaking finding a car you genuinely love and having it come with unknown problems. Ive realized you can drive yourself crazy searching for a deal like you mention, especially when working on a limited budget. I’m going to try to just fix everything as it comes, for now getting it inspection ready is first on the list.

One other peculiar issue I noticed is fuse #8 in the box under the hood is missing. From what I found that’s for the ABS system, but my ABS light isn’t on, no CEL codes for that, and I haven’t had my wheels lock up when they shouldn’t have. I’m going to pop one in tomorrow and see what’s happens.

Edit: well curiosity got the best of me and I went and picked up a pack of fuses. The slot or whatever you’d call it that fuse goes into isn’t accepting it. It just falls into the slot/socket and doesn’t click in no matter how I go about it. The strange thing is I have no lights on regarding it, although the ABS light does illuminate then turn off during startup as it should so it isn’t disconnected in the gauge cluster. Any ideas?

Attachments

·
Not-a-Mechanic
2011 CR-V 4WD EX
483 Posts
I'll take a WAG your car has no ABS. Is the even possible for that model/year?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nah it definitely does have ABS, it has the light which illuminates when the key is clicked to “on”, and I’ve felt it engage in appropriate circumstances (in the little bs snowstorms we’ve gotten in Philly so far this year). I’m gonna just choose to believe there’s no problem on that front, I have plenty of other ones to worry about haha

·
Super Moderator
1997, 2002, 2017 my expertese lies there
5,017 Posts
Well go sit down go get some notes and see what it will cost you. if not for you resell, take a loss and do not make the same mistake again.

We're sorry and hope it works out to your benefit. good luck

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well go sit down go get some notes and see what it will cost you. if not for you resell, take a loss and do not make the same mistake again.

We're sorry and hope it works out to your benefit. good luck
I’m going to fix it up, I’m confident I can do some of the work required and overall it makes the most sense in my financial situation. Love your YouTube videos, you’ve helped me figure a bunch of stuff out!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts