Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Those familiar with Fords know there is a program called FORScan that can do many of things a dealer scan tool can do. Honda has their HDS, but I don't believe it is as full featured for the end-user. In any event, if I could, I would make the following changes:

• Change remote start time to be 15 minutes instead of 10 minutes.
  • Automatically disable the passenger heated seat when no occupant is detected.
  • Disable the "steering required" message and LKAS disabling that happens when the car does not detect you moving the wheel for ~10 seconds.
  • Enable LKAS and Brake Hold automatically at every start.

Anyone else have a wish list of stuff they wish they could change in the software?

·
Registered
2018 CR-V AWD Touring
373 Posts
Change remote start time to be 15 minutes instead of 10 minutes.
Curious as to why you would need more then 10 minutes?
If you look in the manual, you can extend the time to another 10 minutes for a total time of 20 minutes. Is 20 minutes not enough time for you?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Curious as to why you would need more then 10 minutes?
If you look in the manual, you can extend the time to another 10 minutes for a total time of 20 minutes. Is 20 minutes not enough time for you?
Ten minutes isn't usually enough to warm up the car where I live in the winter. While 20 minutes is possible, it requires me to go back over there and restart it at the end of the 10 minute timer. I'd rather is just run for 15 minutes straight away like my other vehicle.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Those familiar with Fords know there is a program called FORScan that can do many of things a dealer scan tool can do. Honda has their HDS, but I don't believe it is as full featured for the end-user. In any event, if I could, I would make the following changes:

• Change remote start time to be 15 minutes instead of 10 minutes.
  • Automatically disable the passenger heated seat when no occupant is detected.
  • Disable the "steering required" message and LKAS disabling that happens when the car does not detect you moving the wheel for ~10 seconds.
  • Enable LKAS and Brake Hold automatically at every start.

Anyone else have a wish list of stuff they wish they could change in the software?
Numbers two and three on your wish list would create a lot of legal issues for Honda.

I would just love to disable the remotes ability to roll down all the windows. I would also clean up some of the HU menus and tie in the mirror settings into the seat settings. Those two things should have always been linked from day one.

Rob

·
Registered
2018 CR-V AWD Touring
373 Posts
Ten minutes isn't usually enough to warm up the car where I live in the winter. While 20 minutes is possible, it requires me to go back over there and restart it at the end of the 10 minute timer. I'd rather is just run for 15 minutes straight away like my other vehicle.
Hmmm, I never tried it but I thought one could increase the time before the vehicle shuts off. The manual does say "To extend the run time for another 10 minutes during the first run, press the..."
From my experience (and others on this forum), the car really doesn't warm up by just idling. You need to actually drive it.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Even at -30, I don’t prewarm my car. I do park in an unheated garage at home. Just get in it, fire it up and go. I dress warmly so not an issue. If covered with snow I will start before clearing the snow and in 2 minutes good to go. Really don’t understand the need for remote starters at all. Just a waste of fuel imo.

·
Registered
2017 EX-L AWD
126 Posts
I'd like the initial fan speed on 'auto' be programmable. I like using auto because it waits until there is heat for the cabin before firing up the fan, but I don't like the roar of the fan on high speed when it does. [And no, I'm not dissatisfied with the heater, so let's not go there.]

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
I'd like the initial fan speed on 'auto' be programmable. I like using auto because it waits until there is heat for the cabin before firing up the fan, but I don't like the roar of the fan on high speed when it does. [And no, I'm not dissatisfied with the heater, so let's not go there.]
I agree!
I simply cannot use the AC on Auto at startup. The Fan speed is just way too high.

Rob

·
Registered
491 Posts
Not sure if this qualifies as a programmable fix but I'd like to have the radio to stay on when you kill the ignition until you open a door.
Simply kill the ignition BEFORE you put it in Park, and power will switch uninterrupted to accessory mode. In Canada you can then shift to Park and accessories will remain on.

In US shifting to Park kills acc. power, so leave in Drive (or any position except Park) until ready to leave. In the interim keep your foot on brake pedal or apply parking brake to prevent vehicle from rolling.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
For those self driving features such as number 2 and 3, look into comma.ai. I have installed that and my vehicle can drive it's self on highways for hours with no input.
This actually looks really interesting. I was reading about it, but I'm a little unclear as to the requirements for your CR-V. What all is required to get it to work?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Even at -30, I don’t prewarm my car. I do park in an unheated garage at home. Just get in it, fire it up and go. I dress warmly so not an issue. If covered with snow I will start before clearing the snow and in 2 minutes good to go. Really don’t understand the need for remote starters at all. Just a waste of fuel imo.
Parking in an unheated garage even when it's -30 is a huge temperature difference from a car sitting on the street outside in that weather. I used the remote starter a lot when the weather was in single digits/sub-zero because it really did help to get that outdoor chill off before getting in. It wasn't warm and toasty, but I could get in without seeing my breath freeze right away and that's good enough for me.

·
Registered
210 Posts
This actually looks really interesting. I was reading about it, but I'm a little unclear as to the requirements for your CR-V. What all is required to get it to work?
To get up and running you need to buy a "EON", "giraffe", and a "panda".

The eon is essentially just a cellphone with some added components, it gets mounted on your windshield and then the giraffe gets connected inbetween the connector and the camera in the lkas system at the top of the windshield. The panda connects into the giraffe and then you run a cable from the panda to the eon that's mounted on your windshield

There is also some software you need to flash to the eon to turn it from a dashcam into a self driving kit.

There are support communities for it and very well thought out videos and walkthroughs.

The whole kit will cost $773 and be basically equivalent quality wise to a Tesla. But does not require you to have driver input every so often and will not disengage. There of course is driver monitoring but as long as your watching the road it will not disengage.

It's quite thrilling knowing my $35,000 CRV self drives much better than any $100,000 mercedes, BMW or whatever.

·
Registered
22 Posts
- Brake hold should be permanently on.
- Power should stay on until I lock the car.
- Should auto lock the trunk even if key is not in proximity by the time the trunk closes.

In other words, any time the car beeps at you to tell you you're doing something wrong, it actually means the car isn't designed properly.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Simply kill the ignition BEFORE you put it in Park, and power will switch uninterrupted to accessory mode. In Canada you can then shift to Park and accessories will remain on.

In US shifting to Park kills acc. power, so leave in Drive (or any position except Park) until ready to leave. In the interim keep your foot on brake pedal or apply parking brake to prevent vehicle from rolling.
Any idea why this is different in different countries? I'm trying to imagine what regulation would require such a thing. Fuel filling? Does the reason still make sense?

1 - 20 of 134 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.