Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We all own a Keyless and Push start system, Fail safe this is not. I just walked out the door and could have driven off with a Car. Honda needs to Yes indeed Honda Needs to shut down the car when the Key Fob goes out of range. No you say, I say then why make an Immobilizer chip for then.

It is a safety issue. Any small child can get to a Car, any one can get to the car. A key was the smart key if asked .

FISH.

:Driving:

There is one missing one caution or what nut

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
I hear what you are saying but, there was a time not to long ago that person could leave there car running with their keys in the eginition, there comes a point when there is it becomes the owners responsibility instead of the manufactures to keep there car safe. I will sometimes get out of my CRV and leave it running when I get the mail, or it is 20 below 0 and my wife waits in the car for me as I run into the local Home Depot.

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
I’m not sure, let say the CRV is running and the fob is the house of not around, can you drive away with it? It may not move when you put it in drive? I don’t know, has anyone tried it?

·
Registered
2018 CR-V EX-L FWD Modern Steel Metallic
1,213 Posts
I hear what you are saying but, there was a time not to long ago that person could leave there car running with their keys in the iginition, there comes a point when there is it becomes the owners responsibility instead of the manufactures to keep there car safe.
thank you!!!
so many people these days want everything done for them, and do not want to be responsible for their own actions, choices, etc. - truly sad.

·
Registered
49 Posts
My ditsy neighbor has a Rav-4 with a similar fob key. She was able to start her car and drive off with the key in her kitchen. She ran an errand (comedy of errors, too long to explain) and tried to open and start her car. No key, so she walked 3 miles home.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I don't know of any manufacture that will not allow someone to drive off once started. It will run as long as it has gas and is not shut off manually. Old Salt is mistaken, or was remote started.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Real world use case: SO drives me to the airport and drops me off. I leave. SO doesn't have fob. (I did but car didn't know that.) SO can drive home, being told all the way that there's no fob in the car. SO better not stop somewhere before going home to get their fob.

·
Registered
2018 CR-V EX-L FWD Modern Steel Metallic
1,213 Posts
Real world use case: SO drives me to the airport and drops me off. I leave. SO doesn't have fob. (I did but car didn't know that.) SO can drive home, being told all the way that there's no fob in the car. SO better not stop somewhere before going home to get their fob.
:wall::Jestera::Jestera::Jestera::Jestera:

·
Registered
2017 EX-L AWD
122 Posts
Was that in the CR-V or another vehicle?

·
Registered
248 Posts
This whole key fob/starter/engine logistic has been a bit mysterious to me as well. Here are some thoughts I've had on this matter:

1. One can argue that with a traditional key-in-the-ignition type of vehicle you can also get out of the car with it running, forgetting to turn it off. However, the BIG difference here is that because we do not need to physically put a key into the ignition and can just leave the key fob in our pockets, there's nothing to take out of the ignition, so this critical step is now missing and hence, the possibility of this mistake being much greater.

2. Even though we do not need to put a key into the ignition, would it help to get into the habit of taking the keyfob out of our pockets/purses anyway and just placing it in the coin/change tray area under the gear shift so as to mimic that habit and therefore, lessen the possibility of walking away with the key in your pocket and engine still running?

3. Whenever me and wife and I head out together, we each bring our own copy of the CR-V's key. If say, she is dropping me off at the subway station but I'm the one who actually drive there, and during the drop off we leave the engine running while I get out and she gets into the driver seat, and drives off, would the car know to "switch remotes" or would alarms going of telling her that the key fob is out of range?

4. This technology isn't by any means new but may be new to those of us who haven't bought a new car for the better part of 15-20 years. Ultimately I think it's just a matter of reprogramming our brains to adapt and getting used to a new routine. Imagine if the engine really did shut off if the key fob got too far away from the car, some of the goofs described in this thread, such as airport dropoffs, etc., would have left the vehicle suddenly shutting off in the middle of traffic, creating a very dangerous situation (and therefore reference #3 above....my wife and I always keep our own copy of the key when going out for this and many other unexpected things)

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
At what point do we adult humans wake up and realize that its not anyone else's job to watch over us 24/7.

I recall a law suit where a guy on a bicycle got hit by a car at night. He point was the bike maker never warned him it was dark out at night and people didn't see as well in the dark. The sad part of it is, the bike rider won his case! Seems the jury agreed the bike maker should have explained riding in the dark is more dangerous to him. I mean, who actually knows that people don't see as well in the dark?

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I recall a law suit where a guy on a bicycle got hit by a car at night. He point was the bike maker never warned him it was dark out at night and people didn't see as well in the dark. The sad part of it is, the bike rider won his case! Seems the jury agreed the bike maker should have explained riding in the dark is more dangerous to him. I mean, who actually knows that people don't see as well in the dark?
Interesting read on that case: http://www.johnforester.com/Consult/Green/derby.htm

·
Registered
2017 EX-L AWD
122 Posts
A slight topic drift: The NYTimes recently published an article about people with keyless fobs failing to turn off their engines when they parked in their garages - with fatal consequences.

Clearly this could happen with a keyed ignition as well, but the convenience of the keyless and changing habits makes this something to think about. That, and keep CO detectors inside the house in working order.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Actually, I'm now reminded that the whole forgetting to turn off the car because you have a keyless ignition issue happens also in hyrbid or pure electric cars, where because there is no engine noise people are even less aware that the car is still "on". No surprise here, but if we're not careful technology has a way of dumbing us down and insulating us from reality. I'm already not liking the electric parking break in the CR-V, but overseas models have a full electric transmission controls.

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Going to a keyless CRV from a traditional keyed car was like putting my other leg into my pants first, it was kind of hard to get use too. I’ve grown to like it, it took some time to get comfortable with the new way of doing things

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
5,200 Posts
My ditsy neighbor has a Rav-4 with a similar fob key. She was able to start her car and drive off with the key in her kitchen. ...
I find this hard to believe, as the FOB must be recognized inside the car for the start/stop button to be able to start the car. There are small recognition "zones" at each front door, the hatch, and inside the vehicle. The sensors know in which zone the FOB is.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I find this hard to believe, as the FOB must be recognized inside the car for the start/stop button to be able to start the car. There are small recognition "zones" at each front door, the hatch, and inside the vehicle. The sensors know in which zone the FOB is.
He left out the part where she started the vehicle, while possessing the fob, and went back to the kitchen. She put down the fob at some point, and went back and drove off ignoring the warning messages on the dash. :) This happens a lot in the winter around here.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts