Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks,
Not long ago I lost my 2005 F150 truck to catastrophic engine failure; then again it was nearing 400,000 miles.

A very quick backstory to help you all understand my mindset. This truck was wonderful to me 4.6L automatic 2wd, I stayed on top of maintenance and did a lot of highway driving. I was on my way home one night when I pulled into a gas station to top off. Filled up the tank, got behind the wheel and turned the key, and there was hesitation, it turned over 3 or 4 times before actually starting. Before this instance it would start almost as soon as you turned the key; seemed instant. I didn't mind the hesitation so much, I "would have" assumed it could be a worn starter, weak battery, etc. but just as it started, it also started to tap and knock. It was 3:30am and I had no choice but to drive it.

I drove about 45 mph the rest of the way home and not far from arriving home it stalled out on me. I tried restarting it for that final push home and it sounded like it was going to explode. It fired up, shook violently and stalled out again. I had her towed home where she sits today.

So long story short I did some car shopping and decided on a 2008 CRV automatic AWD/4WD 2.4L. Overall I love the vehicle but I'm concerned as to what a healthy engine should sound like.

I have read so much where people say it should chatter a bit like a large sewing machine, some say it should have a sound that favors a small tractor and others say it should be completely quiet with the exception of the exhaust.

The vehicle I currently own has mild ticks or ticking like sounds to it. Depending on who I ask, people say that is normal and others tell me I need the valves worked on.
I figured it would be better to come here to the CRV Owners Club forum and ask those who are more familiar with these vehicles and drive them on a regular basis.
This is my first Honda vehicle so I really am not accustomed to the typical sounds. This is also why I gave the back story on the truck, all the ticking sounds make me fear something major is going to happen that I can not afford to fix at this time.
I would greatly appreciate any insight.
P.S. I took video of the engine and the sound it makes but no matter how small I make the file I always get a error message when trying to upload it here. If anyone can tell me what format this needs to be in I will be happy to attach the video to this post.

Thanks again, TEAK

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Upload it to YouTube, then post the link here.
That's a great idea. OK give me a little bit to figure that out and I will post it on here. Also, I work night shift in case anyone wonders about my slow replies. 😃

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds totally normal.
Thanks, I just had a few people say it sounded like I needed my valves worked on so I was a bit unsure. I figured this was a better place to ask that question.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, this Honda engine does not have self-adjusting lifters. So, depending on the miles, it's possible they need to be adjusted.
Thanks for the heads up. I will inquire about this with a local dealer. (y)

·
Registered
335 Posts
Since it doesn't sound like you have maint. records I would have the dealer check the valve lash and adjust.
I would also change oil/filter, brake fluid rear diff, etc.
Also, how many miles are on the vehicle?.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Since it doesn't sound like you have maint. records I would have the dealer check the valve lash and adjust.
I would also change oil/filter, brake fluid rear diff, etc.
Also, how many miles are on the vehicle?.
Thanks wlong01,
The vehicle has roughly 150,000 miles.
So far I have only cleaned and recharged the cabin and engine air filter since both were K&N. The engine oil was a bright golden color and the level looks good after a couple of weeks of driving it; not burning oil. The transmission fluid looks and smells good but its still on my list of things to change so that I know exactly when it was last done.
I have purchased the duel pump II fluid (2 quarts), pump and 20mm crush washers to change the differential fluid soon and I will post how that goes; fill port first :).
I was told by many people this vehicle had NGK plugs but when I changed them the vehicle had Denso plugs instead. I installed the "NGK # 6994 LASER IRIDIUM Premium Spark Plugs IZFR6K-11" and it seems to run decent, See my link above to hear the engine sound. I also replaced all the rotten exterior window weather stripping with a new set. I bought a "LubriMatic 75-033 Syringe Style Battery Filler with 6" from amazon to suck out the older power steering fluid and top off with new fluid as the older fluid gets worked through the system. I haven't got around to the breaks just yet but I will most likely do this at the same time or near the time I do the differential fluid.
I'm pretty meticulous about maintenance and I come to forums such as this and get advice from you guys and back it up with a ton of research. I really appreciate any other advice you may have in regards to extending the life of my first Honda. Thanks again

1 - 10 of 10 Posts