Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
There is none, really. The factory sub is terrible and does not reach low frequencies--it only makes unmusical thudding sounds. I tried a Pioneer spare tire subwoofer from Europe, but the woofers got kind of "farty" on the lower notes. I finally ended up with a Focal BombA BP20, which uses an 8" woofer and a 150 watt class D amplifier in a small package. It's not going to blast windows out in the neighborhood, but it is "just enough" for most listening. It has a wedge shape, so it can go in against the back seats and really doesn't eat up much cargo space. I went on a 3-week road trip with some huge luggage and other things and was never wanting for space. (I ended up swinging it to sit along the side of the rear compartment.) I chose it mainly for size, as I could have gotten many others that were larger. Or I could have bought an empty wood enclosure from the UK that was sized to fit inside the spare tire, but then I would have had to purchase and mount the amp separately, and then probably go through several speakers to find one that would work properly in the limited cabinet size.

I had thought someone, at one point, made a sub enclosure that fit in the rear of the CR-V and matched the interior color, but I couldn't find one last year when I looked for one.

·
2,198 Posts
I don't want to encroach on my cargo space for a sub, or have one floating around loose back there either, and I don't need a neighborhood-rattling result, either, but I do want good, balanced sound. I considered an under-seat 8" one, but not real impressed with any I've seen. Which leaves limited options. I might go with one that will fit under the rear seats if I can find one, but not too sure if that's possible either. So that leaves either that right rear panel where DC Gary (above) put his, or in the spare tire well. If I can find a good 10-inch sub that will fit in that cargo side well, I will go with that. If not, I might have to go the spare tire well route, but I don't want to give that area up either, as I keep other stuff in there besides just the spare, like a tool bag and jumper cables, first aid kit, etc. The other, most extreme option would be to custom-build out the lower front center dash console area, and put one there, kind of like the sub in an Element. But that might be too close for comfort, so right now I'm aiming for that right rear cargo area side panel. Luckily, I have a woodshop, and the ability to build a custom enclosure to fit. If I do that, I will post a how-to thread on it, maybe this summer, depending on how things go. It's on my list, just not at the top.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts