Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's a common story apparently, from what I have found in my web searches

My wife has a 2013 2.4liter 2WD EX . It has 83,000 miles on it.

About three months ago we had a dead battery condition so I too the battery out and took it to the parts store for testing. The result was battery is fine. I charged the battery, put it back in and took the car and test showed regulator was giving weak charge. The solution was a new alternator - $250.00. I put it in and it did fine for about a month until we experienced the same issue. I charged the battery and took it to the parts store - bad regulator. They replaced the alternator under warranty no questions. Now, a month later - dead battery condition. I took it back to the parts store and the result; good battery, weak regulator.

I am getting frustrated with this. I have no idea if the car has had the program upgrade relating to this issue. All I know is this should not be happening.

What is the fix? Battery is good. Alternator is new. I may have to replace it if the regulator has been damaged from whatever is going on in the car.

Thanks !

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
We have a '13 EX also, only 26k miles on it.
If it were mine, I'd be taking it to the dealer to see if the software upgrade has been done or is needed. It certainly sounds like it needs help in that department.
Did you put a larger than stock battery in it?

·
Everything in Moderation
7,630 Posts
I have had batteries fail intermittently. One that I had, would take out the alternator diodes! And like yours, the battery always tested good. (Had a shorted plate I think.)

I agree with the advice to check with the dealer regards the software upgrade, it will certainly keep your charging system in good order, long-term.

BUT: I'd replace the battery regardless. One look at all the battery issues (on ALL Honda model forums) and it would seem that this would be prudent.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts