Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to put 2005 Acura MDX wheels/tires on my 2009 CR-V LX. Lug Patterns are the same, 114.3 X 5, both are 17" rims,I believe that Honda is 6.5" wide, the Acura may be 7" wide. Wheel Offsets are within 5 mm, I believe Honda is +50mm, Acura +45mm, tires on rims now are Honda: 225 65 r17: and Acura : 235 65 r17...So it seems to me that wheels ought to "mount up".

Possible (or likely) problem/issue are the wheel "studs"/mounting bolt threads/Size of "holes" in rims, are different: Honda: 12mm X 1.50; and Acura 14mm X 1.50. I would like to use the existing (12mm) "studs" on the CR-V and mount the Acura wheel with the lug nut seats in that wheel apparently with a round/radius profile for 14mm size nut/bolt.

IS THERE SOME KIND OF LUG NUT OR ADAPTER WHICH HAS 12MM X 1.50 "INTERNAL THREAD" AND THE LARGER OUTSIDE SEAT DIMENSION OF THE TYPICAL WHEEL/BALL SEAT OF A 14MM NUT; SO AS TO ALLOW FOR NECESSARY "CONTACT" SURFACE, ~~CORRECT BEARING, AND TORQUE READINGS ETC.

I have contacted several sites and tire shops, etc. for opinions...with various results...nothing too definite. (Some apparently did not know that Honda/Acura typically uses ball/round radius lug nut "seat" ; and NOT conical) One suggestion was to just use a flat washer under lug nut which would hopefully be "molded into" appropriate shape by torquing on the nuts in a series of "stages"...(this sounded a little sketchy even for me).

I did find some kind of a "shaped washer" conversion deal online, which would apparently allow use of a conical lug nut into a ball/round seat...but I was not able to see a difference for a 14mm or 12mm seat...

It may be more trouble than it is worth but it might work pretty well for me if I was able to make it happen without going through a lot of contortions...I don't want to weld the lug nuts to the studs as was helpfully suggested on Craigslist Auto Forum.

I am aware of TMPS/VSA related issues.

Thanks in advance for any thought or direction!

·
Premium Member
3,666 Posts
Have you actually tried the wheels on the vehicle?

I have 27 years Acura/Honda parts experience and I can guarantee that only our vehicles with 5 x 120 bolt patterns use a 14mm wheel stud.

·
Super Moderator
3,204 Posts
From my first gen Pilot days people stuck rdx/TL/tax/mdx wheels on the without issues.
Honda likes to design one part well and use it on many different vehicles.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts