Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I'm in the market for a set of wheels for my 2012 V LX. It has 16" factory steel wheels with Bridgestone Blizzaks I just put on for the winter.
I want to get a new set of wheels for the Uniroyal Laredo all season tires.
I'm currently looking at 3 models at Tire Rack but I'm concerned about offset, what to do with a different offset, how will it affect the V, etc.
The steel wheels TR shows have an offset of 50mm, is this the factory steel wheel offset?, one of my choices has a +40mm offset while the other two have a 38mm offset. How does this compare to the steel wheel offset? And what do I have to do?
I'm probably going to have the set I choose sent to my local Goodyear shop for the install. I'll probably have TR install the sensors. What else will I have to do?
Here is a link to the wheels I'm considering.
http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Compare.jsp

I've done searches on this site and Google, etc. but still don't understand what I must do if I choose one of these sets of wheels.
Thanks for you help.

·
Registered
796 Posts
To get the stock wheel offset, call TireRack - they're knowledgable and responsive.

The right offset is important for a lot of reasons; providing sufficient clearance for brake calipers and other wheel well bits, preventing premature wheel bearing wear and handling changes are just a few.

I'd try very hard to stay within a couple mm of stock offset. For instance, if stock offset was 48mm I'd feel comfortable with 45 or 50, but not a bigger change. TireRack will provide a "fit guarantee" on wheels they sell, meaning the new wheel won't rub against anything, but the handling and wheel bearing issues remain open.

Wheels with TPMS sensors mounted shipped to your local dealer makes sense, but make sure you know how the new sensors will be matched to your car. Sometimes this is automatic but sometimes a special tool is needed: your Goodyear store may or may not have one compatible with the TireRack sensors.

Finally, have you consider a more local option like Discount Tire? No shipping charges, no hassles with returning anything that proves defective, etc.

Good luck with the project!

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info.
I'm aware of the possibility of problems using the wrong offset and appreciate the advice.
I'm also talking to a couple of area shops to save the shipping and other hassles.
I've no Honda dealership within 75 miles of me until April...I'm not going to get the wheels until spring...just starting my homework so I'm knowledgeable and prepared for what I need as well as the costs involved.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts