Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Read Only
01 Honda CR-V EX
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again. I’m trying to find wheels that will fit my 01 CR-V but i’m having a hell of a time doing so, this is my first car so i’m really new to this. The tire size i’m going with is 215/75/15. Most lifted 1st gens that i’ve seen run this tire size with 15x8 wheels and no noticeable stretching, but i’ve heard that is too wide for the tire size. So to play it safe I decided i’d look for a 15x7 wheel. Issue is I cannot find anything that is 15x7, has the right bolt pattern, and has a similar offset. I’ve found both sizes with the right bolt pattern but they’ll have an offset of -6 or something and I don’t know how big of a difference that is or if it’ll cause issues. I found one wheel that is 15x6.5 but that is the minimum recommended width for a 215/75/15 wheel, so i might was well go with the maximum recommended of 15x8 at that point. Even if I look for 15x8’s i still can’t find anything with a similar offset. I’m so lost.

Size Chart:

CR-V Examples:

Possible Wheels:

·
Registered
2016 CRV EX-L
165 Posts
It doesn't look like, even on ebay, it's easy to find the wheels you'd like.

But, the wheels in the 'Examples' link show this:

Tire: 215/75/15 General Grabbers
Wheel: Rota Grids 15x8+20

Just get those wheels :) They obviously look good :) Here's the thing about offset that is confusing: The offset of a wheel is measured from the dead center of the wheel, to where the 'hub' is (the part that attaches to the car). It's not measured from the car.

So, an offset like the wheels in the example, which is a '+20' means it's 20mm from dead center of the wheel, to the 'outside'. If it was a negative offset (say -20) it would be 20mm to the inside of dead center.

So, on the car, the +20 would now be 'farther out' from the car, than the oem +45 (is it 45 or 50? whichever) would be.

As you can see on the vehicles in the example, the wheels are clearly farther out than oem wheels, but that's OK because they also have 'lifts', so there's not hitting the outer wheel wells. They just 'stick out' which I think is what they wanted to achieve anyway.

The only concern you have when doing something like this is the suspension of the vehicle is designed for a wheel with a specific offset. When you change that offset it will have some effect on how long the suspension can go before it needs things like new bushings, tie rods, bearings, etc. I don't think anyone knows exactly what the effect will be, or exactly how much of a difference it will make. A lot probably depends on type of driving, use, etc.

cheers

·
Read Only
01 Honda CR-V EX
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks a lot for your help man, I appreciate it. I tried finding the Rota’s but I neglected to look at eBay for them. Seems like they have them on there, I think i’ll just go with those to save me the headache. Thanks again!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts