Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello CRV owners,

I am an owner of CRV-2014 AWD LX.
I'd like to ask your opinion on the broken wheel speed sensors.
"TWO MONTHS AGO", I saw several engine lights on and figured out that the speed wheel sensor wires attached just behind the two front wheels were damaged.
I also found a nest inside my engine room so suspected that it might be rodents who cut the wires and built the nest.
I replaced the wires in the dealer shop and I thought it would not happen again since it gets hotter.

TODAY morning, I again found THE SAME PROBLEM happened, and this time I found the cut wire inside the engine room with branches and leaves,
I came to the dealer shop again and fixed it, but the mechanics said it might not be by rodents, possibly by someone else, because it seems too clear-cut.

I am very confused now. I came to the US a year ago and had never experienced this before. I searched the web and found out that it is very common to see rodents chewing out wires in a car.
But is there any other possibility that someone else does this? Have anyone had the same situation? Please share your opinions on what's going on here (please see the attached photos)

And if it's by rodents, hopefully, do you have any idea how to prevent this?
I really appreciate your advice in advance.

Thanks!

Electrical wiring Gas Machine Wire Engineering
Electrical wiring Gas Machine Wire Engineering
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle brake Tire Rim
Plant Green Vertebrate Leaf Botany
Wood Hardwood Electric blue Fashion accessory Bumper
Wood Office supplies Ball pen Writing implement Pen
Electric blue Wood Fashion accessory Font Cable

·
Super Moderator
2018 EX-L fwd
1,494 Posts
Thanks for the pics.

Looks like some serious infestation there. There are products that you can buy like this [Rodent Tape] that can be applied after new wires have been installed.

You can also do an Advanced Search on this site. Next to your avatar are 3 dots. Click on them, choose Advanced Search, fill in your parameters, then send. There are many folks who've had rodent problems & willingly shared their experiences with the site. Perhaps you'll learn how to prevent this from happening again.

·
Premium Member
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
9,633 Posts
Based on the photos shared, it looks like classic rodent chewing. These are not clean breaks like you would expect to see from wire cutters or a knife. I can clearly see some peripheral chew marks, especially in the first picture.

You prevent this by preventing rodents clean access to your vehicle. In other words, make the vehicle more difficult for them to access, or put rodent deterrents around your vehicle. Honda will tell you to wrap pepper tape around the wires to deter rodents, but I have no idea how well that actually works.

·
Banned
39 Posts
soy coated wires...
looks like the lil bastard was on top of the tire hanging out, when it decided to see what your abs wire tasted like...
undercoat your vehicles with oil spray or get a maine c00n or tabby cat that will keep rodents in check.

you can replace the wire harness, the connector is on the topside of the inner fender.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone for the advice. I got an update.

Unfortunately, there was another attack on a wire inside the engine room with a partially built nest last night even though I parked at a different space. I am now 100% certain that it is by rodents. I ordered [Unltrasonic rodent repellent] and [Rodent repellent spray]. I will talk to the dealership if I can get the honda rodent tape that Kazoo2u recommended.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Rim Tread

1 - 6 of 6 Posts