Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 CRV with a little over 7k miles. I have scanned the owner's manual several times to find out just when the passenger air bag "OFF" indicator is supposed to light. It comes on briefly (2 or 3 seconds) when I start the car, and then goes out. It does the same regardless of whether an adult is sitting in the seat or if the seat is empty. The owner's manual seems to suggest that if the seat is empty or if the passenger weighs less than 65 lbs then the "OFF" indicator should be on continuously.

I can ask my Honda dealer but I am not sure they will do anything more than give me a guess.

·
Registered
197 Posts
If it's actually on and there's a child in the passenger seat it could do them more serious damage than a crash would, that's the point of the weight sensor only switching the airbag on with > 65lbs. Most definitely a safety issue to be fixed before the next time someone small sits there.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Mine only goes on and stays on when the dog is in the seat. Otherwise after the light bulb check it turns off unless you have enough weight on it to trigger. What is your actual question?

·
Registered
159 Posts
On my 2013, at least, the light will only come on if there is a moderate weight but less than 65 lb in the seat. It will not come on if the seat is empty or if an adult is in the seat. The bag will not deploy if the seat is empty. The brief flash when you start is simply a bulb check.

I tested mine accidentally when I sat a relatively heavy bag of groceries. It came on.

·
Registered
197 Posts
This much is obvious, but I refer to my original question.
Sorry, but you were unsure whether you'd get more than a guess from your dealer. It's a safety issue, so they should fix it, end of story.

The title question you answered yourself with your owner's manual research, that's exactly the way it works in my '15.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think my original post was poorly written. I gleaned from the owner’s manual that the passenger air bag “off” indicator should be illuminated any time the air bag is off. I expected, then, that the “off” indicator would be illuminated if the seat was empty. Judging from the responses, this is not the case. The “off” indicator would only be illuminated if the air bag should be on but was not functional, or if there was a weight of 65 pounds or less in the passenger seat.. I will bring my question to my dealer when I take the car in for service, but I think you guys have straightened me out.
I apologize for any confusion from my original post or my follow up response has generated.
Thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
212 Posts
If the seat is empty, the light will be out. The airbag will activate when needed.

If there is someone or something in the seat over 65 Lbs, the light will be out. The airbag will activate when needed.

If there is someone of something in the seat over a few pounds, but under 65 Lbs, the light will be on. The airbag will not activate.

I know a gallon of milk in the front seat will cause the light to be on, but a coat, hat, and umbrella are too light.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I took my 2006 to dealer for recall passenger air bag and asked about on off sensor they couldn't give me a simple answer and the manual is confusing.
My book says if no one in seat it shouldn't come on But it does and goes off rather quick. It comes on when grand daughter sits in seat weighs 110 lb. and goes off quickly what is confusing is the book then says if no one is riding in front seatthe airbag will automatically go off .However the indicator will not come on well it comes on then goes off so is this the normal operation.

·
Everything in Moderation
7,745 Posts
If you worry that the air bag light comes on for a short period at start, then don't. It's just a bulb test.

A 110 lb passenger should be wearing the seat belt. And yes, the air bag will protect her, too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts