Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm near 8 months in on my 2019 crv lx and have around 3k miles and the oil percent is at 50%. Is it better to wait further or go ahead and change it? Any harm in changing it now?

·
Registered
281 Posts
We don’t drive much either.
I do ours seasonally. End of winter and end of fall.
I do yearly cabin and engine filters also year from when we purchased it. Maint minder does the rest

·
Registered
382 Posts
I'm near 8 months in on my 2019 crv lx and have around 3k miles and the oil percent is at 50%. Is it better to wait further or go ahead and change it? Any harm in changing it now?
The break-in oil contains molybdenum (hence its dark color) so you shouldn't change it early.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Absolutely no harm in changing it now.........necessary?......no.

During the new engine "build" phase, "Assembly Lube" is applied to moving parts surfaces prior to their assembly to one another. The assembly lube provides extra protection/lubrication for the initial engine start-up. It takes a few seconds, at engine start-up, for lubricating oil to be pumped from the oil pan, to/thru various oil galleries and on to the top of the motor. Again, assembly lube is for the very 1st start-up and is washed out/displaced with regular motor after a few seconds of initial engine run time.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
As already noted... you generally should leave the factory oil in until the MM alerts you with the 15% remaining oil life indicator.. then change the oil. The factory oil has additives in it that Honda would prefer you leave in until the MM triggers. No big tragedy though if you want to replace it 8months in and at 50% remaining oil life.

The MM on the gen5 CRVs is smart and will either issue a 15% notice based on calculations of driving conditions, miles, etc... OR when the one year calendar point is reached.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Depending on what/where you read, the Honda factory oil fill is nothing special/regular motor oil. Any heavy doses of break-in "additives" are most likely in the assembly lube. If Honda "prefers" you leave it in, then by all means.

Does Honda say the oil level is good when the oil level is between the min/max marks?........I think they do. Some say that goes against industry standard......supposedly the so called industry standard says oil level must absolutely positively be maintained at the top mark.🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I am retired and don't drive that much these days, generally about 3k miles a year or less, so I change mine once a year. This time it looked as clean before I changed it as it did after. I use the recommended oil as stated on the oil cap, and a new filter. Then follow the instructions in the owner's manual to reset the maintenance minder.

·
Registered
88 Posts
As already noted... you generally should leave the factory oil in until the MM alerts you with the 15% remaining oil life indicator.. then change the oil. The factory oil has additives in it that Honda would prefer you leave in until the MM triggers. No big tragedy though if you want to replace it 8months in and at 50% remaining oil life.

The MM on the gen5 CRVs is smart and will either issue a 15% notice based on calculations of driving conditions, miles, etc... OR when the one year calendar point is reached.
Good advice. Neither my wife or I drive more than 10,000 miles a year. We have our oil changed once a year at the Honda dealer, including the first oil change after we bought each car. That's what the Honda dealer recommends and it works for us.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts