Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi yall,
I just bought my 09 CR-V, and one question I can't quite get answered is when should the timing chain be serviced?
I had a 1998 Toyota 4Runner previously that served me well so I was familiar with timing belt maintenance, but this is the first vehicle I've had with a chain.

Any help appreciated!

·
Not-a-Mechanic
2011 CR-V 4WD EX
483 Posts
Unless you routinely run the car low on oil, that chain will last a very long time. Not a maintenance item. Maybe when you get up past 200k miles, it should at least be inspected.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I got my 07 a couple of years ago. I have a copy of a Honda maintenance schedule the dealer gave me. It only mentions timing belt at 75k miles (does not include models with timing chains). Chains are not on the schedule. One thing I did read about and made sure I got done was valve clearances. My copy of the schedule lists that every 62.5k miles.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
I would like to know this also. Someone here had mentioned replacing the tensioner, which I did on one of our '09s, but the old one was still good. The tensioner, guides and chain (and even the sprockets) might be part of a timing chain service. I not only have two '09s, there is the 2005 TSX that has a K-series engine also (higher output 2.4L). So that's three I have to worry about. Part of me wants to do it as a preventive measure, especially on the TSX as it is over 185k miles.

·
Registered
2009 CRV
137 Posts
It has always been my understanding chains are designed to last the service life of the motor. Obviously if motor is run low on oil or motor has chronic issues which impact the timing chain lubrication such as sludge (Toyota) or the Nissan VG guide issues they should be inspected prior. Usually you can hear these things slapping the case when the guides are starting to go bad on most motors.

Barring these issues 200k+ on a well maintained motor should be no problem for a timing chain, and past that it may not be financially conducive to spend the money to go into a motor and check/inspect and possibly replace the chain and guides on a motor/chassis with 200k plus miles unless you are capable of doing all the labor yourself at no charge .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts