Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 2019 EX has just over 13,000 miles. Currently the maintenance minder shows 40% oil life and oil and filter and tire rotation as the items next due. I'm surprised the first rear diff change doesn't also appear since it's supposed to be done at 12.5k miles or 12 months. Will it show up once the oil life number gets lower?

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
2,111 Posts
The MM in the US will show up around 14k. The 12.5k / 12 months are the miles/time schedule that Honda provides is the general global schedule. No one will fault you by going with the global schedule which tends to schedule maintenance a little earlier than the MM.

·
Registered
608 Posts
It usually pops at 15,000 miles. At least in the US.... The Ridgeline recommends initial service at 7500 for severe driving followed by the standard 15k interval.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's interesting that global schedule differs from MM....suspect that applies to tranny fluid as well. Happy to stick to MM.

·
Registered
608 Posts
That's interesting that global schedule differs from MM....suspect that applies to tranny fluid as well. Happy to stick to MM.
Since Honda uses a transaxle, rear differential, and integrated transfer case that gets lubricated by transmission fluid (instead of GL-5 gear oil), the transmission OIC is also pretty important. My technician's advise is to change the transmission fluid and rear differential fluids at 15,000 miles since the transmission is a transaxle. The MM, for some reason, doesn't pop for the transmission until much further out than what most technicians say to do it. The manual says 25,000 for severe driving (CVT) and 2 years/30,000 for severe driving (automatic). Most driving is severe driving... city driving, driving through snow, towing etc.

Reactions: strimby

·
Super Moderator
1997, 2002, 2017 my expertese lies there
4,273 Posts
you going to the Dealer or DIY?

Sorry I may not have taken down the actual ODometer but lets say 20K

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
3,630 Posts
The oil change thing kicks in instantly after a service. Other codes can kick in as you add miles.
I’m expecting to get an ATF and rear diff codes before my next service comes up around 60k

Reactions: fishycomics

·
Super Moderator
4,273 Posts
no one says you need to change it because the MM said so? but its how we treat our cars. by a schedule.

·
Super Moderator
4,273 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,273 Posts
Excellent Video!, I just got that recommendation from the dealer during my last oil change, debating on to do it or not, we may be upgrading to a pilot since I have 2 kids now.
You are Very Welcomed. not hard to do, if you are Trading in then the answer is there.

·
Registered
608 Posts
My shop charges $99 for the Honda transaxle service and $79 for the Honda rear differential service. Meanwhile, the dealership charges $199 for the transaxle service and $99 for the rear diff. You might want to look around since certified shops are all warranty safe ;)

·
Registered
247 Posts
My shop charges $99 for the Honda transaxle service and $79 for the Honda rear differential service. Meanwhile, the dealership charges $199 for the transaxle service and $99 for the rear diff. You might want to look around since certified shops are all warranty safe ;)
Ouchhhhh.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Honda dealer near me charges $99 and I have a $15 off coupon. They will also give me a ride home. Pick up a Danish and coffee too.

The dealer has a minimum wait time of 2 hours and the fastest they have done wait service for me is 3 hours.

My mechanic who specializes repairing Hondas just retired and I prefer doing the first tranny and differential services at the dealer so I have no problems with Hondacare should I have a problem. I know that maintenance does not have to be done at the dealer but this will prevent problems if there is a dispute.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Honda dealer near me charges $99 and I have a $15 off coupon. They will also give me a ride home. Pick up a Danish and coffee too.

The dealer has a minimum wait time of 2 hours and the fastest they have done wait service for me is 3 hours.

My mechanic who specializes repairing Hondas just retired and I prefer doing the first tranny and differential services at the dealer so I have no problems with Hondacare should I have a problem. I know that maintenance does not have to be done at the dealer but this will prevent problems if there is a dispute.
Well, it sounds like you have a good relationship with your Honda dealership :) Unfortunately, many are not so great, so independent service dealers are the way to go -- in these circumstances. I love my service dealer -- it's a NAPA AutoCare center as well as Valvoline service center with a great warranty and service guarantee program. They have a service division as well as a complete tire service division with the latest technologies in the industry. They are Honda and Toyota certified -- which is also nice.

Most people don't have great relationships with dealerships, but if you find one that treats you right -- and doesn't rip you off -- that is outstanding!

Reactions: alexb757

·
Registered
259 Posts
Well, it sounds like you have a good relationship with your Honda dealership :) Unfortunately, many are not so great, so independent service dealers are the way to go -- in these circumstances. I love my service dealer -- it's a NAPA AutoCare center as well as Valvoline service center with a great warranty and service guarantee program. They have a service division as well as a complete tire service division with the latest technologies in the industry. They are Honda and Toyota certified -- which is also nice.

Most people don't have great relationships with dealerships, but if you find one that treats you right -- and doesn't rip you off -- that is outstanding!
I only go to the dealer for certain things and will only do the differential. I have the dealer just do what I ask. My mechanic who specializes with Hondas just retired. I have Hondacare for both my Hondas so repairs at dealer. Looking for a new independent repair shop. Will try one I've been checking out to do my inspections in May and see how they are. I do my own oil changes.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts