Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Only use an Auto Soap. Too many brands to list but, I use Meguiars

I'm pretty anal about waxing and do it once every 3-4 months. Prior to the Winter; I do a 4 step wax/polish

I only clay bar if the paint needs it. Grab a plastic baggie, put your hand inside and run your hand along the body panels. If your hand (inside the bag) drags and the surface feels a bit rough; it's time to clay bar it.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
12 Posts
"I only clay bar if the paint needs it."

I have no idea what "clay" means. Please be kind and explain what this is.

Wizeng, what do you mean you use "The wife?" Joke? I don't think I'd want to be stuffed in a plastic bag and rubbed on my car! :eek:)

Mace

·
Registered
5 Posts
I couldn't decide which wax to get so I bought both Mother's Brazilian Carnauba Cleaner Wax and Meguiar's NXT 2.0. The end results look identical to me, but Mother's wins over application. Easier to apply and settles into soft powder than anyone can buff off easily. Buffing is my favourite part of waxing; it's therapeutic. NXt 2.0 on the other hand is sticker to apply and requires additional force to buff off.

·
Registered
331 Posts
"I only clay bar if the paint needs it."

I have no idea what "clay" means. Please be kind and explain what this is.

Wizeng, what do you mean you use "The wife?" Joke? I don't think I'd want to be stuffed in a plastic bag and rubbed on my car! :eek:)

Mace
Clarification on Clay Bar:

Detailing clay bars clean paint below the surface. Some contaminants grip, even penetrate the clear coat. Detailing clay safely removes these contaminants from the paint and leaves your vehicle feeling slick and smooth. There’s no need to compound to remove overspray, bugs, or tar – detailing clay removes it.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I do two types of wash/wax Every 6 weeks or so I essentially just rinse the car off, use some mild car wash (I'm using ez-dry now, but any of the non-stripping, non-phosphate washes are fine) with a good cleaning sponge (the type covered with yarn), give it a good rinse, let it sit for a few to drain some, dry it with a few microfiber towels, then apply a light coating of liquid synthetic polish (I'm using turtle wax ice liquid at the moment) and I don't even bother to buff it.

Twice a year I rinse, wash, and then (some will yowl at this) use either strong detergent on certain spots like that bird drop which wont come off...or (now they are visibly wincing) automotive paint prep to take off tar, immediately (and I mean right after I finish a spot, not when I finish going around the car) spot washing with car wash and rinsing. Then I give another rinse followed by a good synthetic paste sealant which I do buff (or you can see the white haze). I'm using turtle wax ice paste here...when I get to a spot which wont buff down I put a drop of the liquid on the area and it behaves.

I'm using the turtle wax ice products now but I am planning to transition to the nu fiinish products based on over 30 years of rave reviews by consumer reports (for the paste). The ice products got good reviews, but the tests of both brands show there is a huge gulf between paste and liquid products. With the liquid I'm just sort of using it to supplement the twice yearly paste job in a quick and easy fashion.

I've never really cared much about show room appearance as protection from rust. For example I never bother with using colored paint to fill in the ding from the moron with the 2 door who can't park. I just use clear coat from the get go. I'm talking about dings you'd use a pen to fill. I just figure if someone in the future wants to really repair them, then they can compound off the itty bit of clear and actually repaint the thing.

One nice thing about the Ice liquid product is that you can use it on everything except the glass (well I don't bother with the tires) so all the plastic trim gets it too (the paste product will leave a haze). I hope that will be true of the nu-finish liquid product as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
hi
I use car wash and microfiber sponge, I use a lot of water and dry the car with microfiber ONLY.
Wax once a month, and once tree month I use hand glase. I use #m products or Meguiars. Here is difficult to buy other better brands in Argentina.
dryfly

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.