Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Went looking at a HR-V and CR-V 2018 models and saw the countries of origin on everything. Transmissions origin from Indonesia, Engine from, USA, Assembled in Mexico馃槅馃槅 The CRV says engine and transmission USA origin, assembled in mexico!!

Are these things even a Japanese make anymore? Nothing points to any Japanese anything.
I may as well buy a Ford Ranger, as it doesn't matter anymore because everything is made in every country except the country that actually holds the ownership to the brand. So what does origin actually mean?....the actual foundry where the parts are forged? or just where the parts ship out from?

Can't buy a real American car, now can't buy a real Japanese car anymore. I give up.

Registered
The CRV-s for the U.S. market come from one of several assembly plants. A quick google search brought up Ohio, Indiana, Canada and Japan. I didn't see Mexico listed in my search, so I'm guessing that window sticker is from an HRV? Either way, they all get mixed together on the dealer's lots in the USA. It's a crapshoot as to which assembly plant your car might have came from. Well, actually not if you look for that sort of thing. I wanted one that was made in the USA, so I looked at the VIN numbers online before I even went to the dealer, and I also looked at the window stickers like you did.

I have read that it is very rare to actually find a Japanese made CRV in the USA though. I'm not even sure if they exist.

By the way, if you actually did want to buy a "real American car", the Ford Ranger would be a solid choice. I'm pretty sure all of the ones sold in the USA are made in the USA.

Registered
In the UK (not sure about rest of Europe), the 5th Gen CR-V is imported in from Japan.

Previous iterations of CR-V were manufactured, with engines, at Honda's UK manufacturing plant in Swindon - which is scheduled to cease production of the current 10G Civic hatchback in 2021.

Registered
My 97 and My 2002 werre Japanese made. Tranny England. I also looked at and still love the HRV style. The HRV is made mostly Mexico, the last I followed the Plant was flooded and many cars were Delayed on shipping. Sure Was it not Chevy Nova a American and Mexico factory car? guess if I want a real Japanese car Toy o t A

Registered
Most Mazda CX5鈥檚 are built in Japan. This is a very nice car to drive, just a little cramped in the back seat and cargo area.

Registered
Most Mazda CX5鈥檚 are built in Japan. This is a very nice car to drive, just a little cramped in the back seat and cargo area.
The rear roof slope on the CX5 was the main reason I didn't consider it after a test drive. The back seat and cargo seemed much smaller than the CRV.

Registered
The CRV-s for the U.S. market come from one of several assembly plants. A quick google search brought up Ohio, Indiana, Canada and Japan. I didn't see Mexico listed in my search, so I'm guessing that window sticker is from an HRV? Either way, they all get mixed together on the dealer's lots in the USA. It's a crapshoot as to which assembly plant your car might have came from. Well, actually not if you look for that sort of thing. I wanted one that was made in the USA, so I looked at the VIN numbers online before I even went to the dealer, and I also looked at the window stickers like you did.

I have read that it is very rare to actually find a Japanese made CRV in the USA though. I'm not even sure if they exist.

By the way, if you actually did want to buy a "real American car", the Ford Ranger would be a solid choice. I'm pretty sure all of the ones sold in the USA are made in the USA.
My 2001 Ford Rangers 4.0 engine was made in Germany, transmission was Japanese, back leaf springs said Mexico on them and God only knows about the other 1,000's of parts on it..

Registered
Well, it has been a global economy for several decades now merging together, in my opinion a good thing, the more ingredients the better the soup gets. By the way, how many objects in your home are only made in USA or Japan?
Acadia

Registered
The CRV-s for the U.S. market come from one of several assembly plants. A quick google search brought up Ohio, Indiana, Canada and Japan. I didn't see Mexico listed in my search, so I'm guessing that window sticker is from an HRV? Either way, they all get mixed together on the dealer's lots in the USA.
Yeah.. since the HRV is based on the FIT, and US FITs are made in Mexico.. it does not surprise me that US HRVs are manufactured in Mexico. Sales volumes for both are small compared to the big three models (Civic, Accord, CRV).

I believe the only Hondas on US lots at the moment that are actually manufactured in Japan are the Clarity line of vehicles, and the volumes are small. All the high volume Honda vehicles for the US (Civic, Accord, CRV) are manufactured as you noted.. either in the US or Canada.

I live in California, and my CRV came all the way from the Ontario Canada plant .... first by ship, then by rail, then by truck for the last leg.

Registered
Where is it designed & engineered? I suppose quality of steel could become a factor but they must be manufactured to the engineered specs regardless of country. I'll stick with Honda (or Toyota)

Registered
I very much doubt more than half of any Ford Ranger is actually manufactured in the US, by Ford. Ford and GM both move engines, transmissions, and other key components all over the world in their supply chain.

Registered
Where is it designed & engineered? I suppose quality of steel could become a factor but they must be manufactured to the engineered specs regardless of country. I'll stick with Honda (or Toyota)
Yeah, every Honda is built in the exact same assembly line set up.. regardless of where the actual factory is located. And all parts that are used are specified by Honda.. and must therefore meet Honda specifications. Other than the frame and body, and power trains, I doubt Honda actually manufactures much of the actual components, and has outsourced most all of them.

Same is true for most manufacturers these days... because that is the most consistent, most reliable, and lowest cost method to produce, as long as you can keep a tight leash on your suppliers. Regional setup and use of actual assembly plants is driven by economics and time to market in an extremely competitive market these days.

The only real variable in regional plants would be the actual labor force.. but since so much of the assembly is now done with robotics.. even that is less of a variable than in past decades.

Registered
Most Mazdas are built in Japan currently due to the fact that Mazda prior joint venture with Ford collapsed and they lost factory capacity as a result. But importing whole vehicles is costly and creates a long lead time, and chews up Mazda's profit margins.

Mazda is addressing this now with a joint venture plant in the US (Huntsville) with Toyota.. and that facility will have a shared capacity between the two for 300,000 vehicles per year.. so I guess Mazda has solved their US supply chain issue now. Plant does not come on line until 2021 though. Mazda Toyota Plant Reaches New Heights | Inside Mazda

Registered
yep the fit like the civic, and hte Hp it does not have also that stop/start system. If it sat higher, it does not and that was one downside . the cabin was noce but needed MORE

Registered
What difference does it make where vehicles are made today?! :rolleyes:

Hondas are great vehicles, we have had 5 of them now since our tennie-bopper days days. :cool:

Registered
What difference does it make where vehicles are made today?! :rolleyes:

Hondas are great vehicles, we have had 5 of them now since our tennie-bopper days days. :cool:
Trust me, it makes a massive difference.

The 4th Gen CR-V built in Swindon that I had was nowhere near as good as this Japanese built 5th Gen that I now have. The 4th Gen had many niggles and fitment issues - they were corrected under various TSB's, but the issues were largely assembly-related, not mechanical.

Not a single issue so far on my 5th Gen....so it does matter where the car is made in my experience.

Registered
Trust me, it makes a massive difference.

The 4th Gen CR-V built in Swindon that I had was nowhere near as good as this Japanese built 5th Gen that I now have. The 4th Gen had many niggles and fitment issues - they were corrected under various TSB's, but the issues were largely assembly-related, not mechanical.
Both my J-VIN HR-V and Civic had (have) serious rust issues. None at all for the two Swindon-built CR-Vs.

Registered
Both my J-VIN HR-V and Civic had (have) serious rust issues. None at all for the two Swindon-built CR-Vs.
I havent had Japanese HR-Vs or Civics, so cant speak to your experience. That said, the Swindon built CR-Vs had less materials/rust issues - it was primarily build quality and fitment of parts, particularly the dashboard, for example.

I had four, 4th Gen CR-Vs in various petrol/diesel/manual/auto guise -and every one of them had to go in for a dashboard fitting correction due to the horrific panel gap by the front door jambs. You could slide a whole adult hand in the orifices - it was shambolic.

Absolutely NO such issues at all on my 5th Gen CR-V from Japan. None at all.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts