Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2005 AWD and it has no manual. I got the stats off the sticky but I need to do some service. It has almost 142,000 miles on it. I saw on YouTube that it take 6-7 liters of Honda ATF DW-1 to drain the transmission twice and get newer fluid in. I don't think this or the rear diff fluid has ever been changed. It runs remarkably well but I need to fix the wiper fluid pump along with some other minor issues. Does Chilton or some other 3rd party make a book in print for the 2nd generation CR-V?

Can you suggest any maintenance that I should consider doing to keep it running for another 100K miles? It does need a serpentine belt change as it squeals a bit. It was owned by my SILs mother and survived 10 Buffalo Winters. It's amazing that it just needs minor body work and perhaps a re-spray after the body work is done. I just have swapped out cabin air filters and looked at the engine air filter. What a pain to get access to that as the bolts are all corroded.

I appreciate any feedback. My wife loves her 2013 CR-V. I kind of like driving the 2005 a bit better as there is no electronic steering. My daughter loves it and I want to have it in the best condition I can as she learns to drive her own car. Many thanks in advance.

What shall we have? An '82 Margaux! Is it any good? Good....?, It will make you believe in God!

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Glad to have you aboard! I would suggest to get OEM service manual is the best. If you can replace all of the fluid. Including the power steering fluid. For the rear diff. Be sure you only use Honda Dual Pump fluid. To prolong the life of the body have it rust proofed. I would suggest to stay away from Chilton Manuals. Its better to get a Hayne's Manual. But nothing beats the OEM. This is the reason why I advocate engine washing. Let me know.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a recently acquired 2005, and read that exact same thing but I bought 8 liters of transmission fluid and yet I could only ever get it to drain 3.5L at most. I repeated end the procedure twice as I figured that all the fluid can't all drain at once. The old fluid was nasty brown coming out but after flushing with the first 3.5L then again with another 3.5L, the fluid was back to that nice red color it comes in. The transmission had 141200 miles on it with no fluid changes, as I know the original owner, so I was a bit worried, though in the end the transmission is not a weak point on this vehicle. I've switched out all major fluids now, with the power steering being the biggest pain, as it's hard to get much out at any given time, but after 4 flush and fills the fluid is almost clear, opposed to the thick blackish fluid that was in there when I picked up this CRV. A real manual sure would be nice. Some after,Arlen books like Chilton exists and a e-copy in PDF format for the entire Honda service manual is available for just over $20.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I must have posted in the wrong spot. Oops. Replaced every fluid belts, plug, brakes pads and front rotors. Body work on the right side. Polishing up the older right headlight. Starter is being changed but running into trouble with some rusted bolt heads on the I take manifold. All should be done this weekend. Hopefully. It's like a new machine again. Next year it will need new exhaust pipe pieces between exhaust and Cat and then Cat to the muffler area. Fine for this Winter.

What shall we have? An '82 Margaux! Is it any good? Good....?, It will make you believe in God!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts