Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 2019 EX which I am really enjoying, but I didn't realize how much I would miss the power liftgate that was on my previous vehicle. I am an older woman, about 5'4", and am finding it difficult to reach so high to grab the molded handle and lower the liftgate. Is there someplace on the lift gate that I can install a pull strap? If I have to remove the panels, the entire operation becomes way too complicated. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Is hatch height not adjustable on the EX?

Is the power hatch something that could be added by the dealership?

Could a pull strap(s) be attached to the hatch via the 2 bottom screws that attach the license plate?

I did not attach the strap.......it's just hanging there to give you an idea/example. It is a nylon strap, looped at both ends and is called a "soft tie". Used mainly for strapping down a motorcycle. Try Walmart or any motorcycle shop. I'm thinking the looped ends could be held by the plate screws. I do not know how substantial the mount would be if you tried it. If you try it, do so at your own risk. Pull it gently in order to see if the plate screws are a substantial enough.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good idea! I'll look into that today. No, power hatch can't be added and I'm not seeing any way to adjust the height, darn it. I was trying to figure out how to add ia strap to the inside of the hatch, but using the outside looks doable. Thanks for providing the pictures!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was hoping to use something like this (Toyota Forerunner strap) but it looks like using on the interior would require removing panels, etc. I could try attaching to outside by using longer screws on the license plate, but I think you can see that the metal part of the fitting is bent at a 90 degree angle and I'm afraid that straightening it would weaken it.

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,548 Posts
I was hoping to use something like this (Toyota Forerunner strap) but it looks like using on the interior would require removing panels, etc. I could try attaching to outside by using longer screws on the license plate, but I think you can see that the metal part of the fitting is bent at a 90 degree angle and I'm afraid that straightening it would weaken it. View attachment 134986 View attachment 134987
Yeah, even if you could attach it to the outside... it would get really dirty really quickly because of all the dirt and moisture that the back end of an SUV kicks-up (the rear cargo door and side panels on my CRV always take the brunt of road grime).

Another concern... kids with nothing better to do messing with the strap and possibly damaging your cargo door in the process.

You definitely need an interior solution for a pull down strap. Since I have the power lift gate, I'm afraid I am not in a position to offer a solution... but I will take a look at my lift gate today anyway and see if I observe any form of solution.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
I was thinking the bulk of the strap could easily be tucked between the bottom of the closed hatch and the top of the bumper, when not in use. Gotta get creative.

I'd almost bet straightening it would still leave it plenty strong to pull the hatch down.

Does your hatch have those gas charged shocks that assist in lifting the hatch and hold it open?.........if so, maybe you could install some shorter gas shocks......hatch wouldn't rise as high.

·
Super Moderator
7,548 Posts
Does your hatch have those gas charged shocks that assist in lifting the hatch and hold it open?.........if so, maybe you could install some shorter gas shocks......hatch wouldn't rise as high.

Which brings up a thought... on the power lift gates... if you open the gate manually, it stops wherever you stop lifting it. I wonder if the non power lift gates do.. or they are actuated to always open to maximum. My guess is not... as the power lift gates have some form of traction element in them so you can set the opening distance manually and then the gate repeats that open distance from then on, but it's worth exploring.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the ideas. I've seen ads for shorter replacement "struts" (not sure if that's what they are called. That would certainly help if they are available for the this particular liftgate. There are some cutouts in the panels that make me wonder if one might be removed to access something stronger than the plastic. Also, I just checked again, and there definitely is a screw in the plastic handhold (handle). If that is what is securing the handhold, maybe that handle could be removed and a hole drilled into it so that a strap could be attached that way.
The hatch definitely wants to go all the way up. If there is someway to shorten the height, I'm not seeing it.
Again, thanks for the help.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
With the hatch up/open, do you see a small rectangular cover?......if so, it easily pops out using a small flat blade screwdriver. Do you see the threaded bolt (see pic)? Could that bolt be used to hold the strap (in your pic) with the 90* bend? That bolt is into metal.

Reactions: williamsji

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Which brings up a thought... on the power lift gates... if you open the gate manually, it stops wherever you stop lifting it. I wonder if the non power lift gates do.. or they are actuated to always open to maximum. My guess is not... as the power lift gates have some form of traction element in them so you can set the opening distance manually and then the gate repeats that open distance from then on, but it's worth exploring.
I believe the power hatch uses an electric motor attached to a screw drive mechanism and both the motor and drive are inside the drivers side shock/strut.

·
Super Moderator
7,548 Posts
With the hatch up/open, do you see a small rectangular cover?......if so, it easily pops out using a small flat blade screwdriver. Do you see the threaded bolt (see pic)? Could that bolt be used to hold the strap (in your pic) with the 90* bend? That bolt is into metal.

View attachment 134991

View attachment 134992
Yep.. that is probably the best bet for addressing this since it is a metal anchor point. Hard to tell if that metal section can take long term effects of pulling though.

I checked today and nothing else looks even remotely sufficient on the tail gate to take the stress.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
If that bolt is used, one might need to do a little careful plastic trimming in order to re-attach that small cover.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Yes, that is one of the cut out things I was noticing. Thanks for taking a picture. I'll take it out tomorrow and see how/if I can use it. (It must be there for a reason?) I hate to deface my new car by trimming that plastic piece, but maybe I can get another undamaged one to keep for an extra.
Thanks again to everyone.

View attachment 134991

View attachment 134992

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Shorter struts may be looking better and better.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry to wait so long to reply. I can't see any easy way to solve this problem so I am looking into after market power liftgate installation. I have a very good installer available locally, just have to do research and find the right product and, oh, save up to pay for it all. Thanks for all of the good advice.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sorry to wait so long to reply. I can't see any easy way to solve this problem so I am looking into after market power liftgate installation. I have a very good installer available locally, just have to do research and find the right product and, oh, save up to pay for it all. Thanks for all of the good advice.
Did u happen to successfully attach a pull? I have the same problem (well my wife does)

·
Registered
3 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts