Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a CR-V from Carvana. I did a vehicle inspection at a Monro Auto Repair store. They said there was a transmission leak but they didn't have the parts to repair on the same day. They put tires back onto the vehicle and let me drive away without charging a fee.

I haven't been to a Honda dealer yet. Many reviews online say that they did an inspection at the dealer's after buying from Carvana but didn't explain why.

So I'm not sure if this "free inspection" is reliable. Or is this inspection really "free"? (Will they charge a hefty fee afterward if I switch to somewhere else to repair lol).

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Do you notice a drip/puddle on the floor/pavement after parking overnight? What year/how many miles?

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Did your V come with a owner's manual?......learn how to open the hood and check/add all fluids to their proper levels and whatever else the manual says to check/maintain. Most owner manuals have pictures of what to check and where the check points/dipsticks etc. are located under the hood and elsewhere. A Powder Puff/Auto Shop 101 class could save you thousands of $ in unnecessary repairs. Not saying do necessary repairs/maintenance yourself, just saying a little automobile savvy could prevent your being taken advantage of, thus saving you some $.

Presuming you park in the same spot at the end of your day, start checking for a drip/puddle. If you actually have a puddle forming on the floor/pavement, you need to keep close tabs on fluid levels until you have a chance to get the leak repaired. Checking things under the hood weekly is a good habit to get in to. Here to help anyway we can.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did your V come with a owner's manual?......learn how to open the hood and check/add all fluids to their proper levels and whatever else the manual says to check/maintain. Most owner manuals have pictures of what to check and where the check points/dipsticks etc. are located under the hood and elsewhere. A Powder Puff/Auto Shop 101 class could save you thousands of $ in unnecessary repairs. Not saying do necessary repairs/maintenance yourself, just saying a little automobile savvy could prevent your being taken advantage of, thus saving you some $.

Presuming you park in the same spot at the end of your day, start checking for a drip/puddle. If you actually have a puddle forming on the floor/pavement, you need to keep close tabs on fluid levels until you have a chance to get the leak repaired. Checking things under the hood weekly is a good habit to get in to. Here to help anyway we can.
Thanks a lot! Yes it came with an owner's manual.

By the way, is it normal for a repair shop to charge no fees when they find a problem after inspection and suggest a repair? They just put the tires back and let me drive away without asking me to pay while before the inspection they asked for $45 for a "full check".

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
It's hard to say about "shops".......go to 2 different shops and you will probably get 2 different forms of treatments 🤷‍♂️. You see reports on the news quite often about repair shops ripping off folks. That's why I'm saying educate yourself about your new to you CRV by starting with reading the Owner's Manual. There's way more to automobile ownership than just filling with oil and changing the gas.:oops: You count on your vehicle to be reliable so you gotta take care of it........kinda the same way with your body. Again, not saying you need to know things like cam profiles, compression ratios or how to swap/build/machine/assemble an ICE motor.......just saying a little automotive savvy could go a long ways toward preventing you, or anybody else, from getting scammed by a repair shop. Check to see if there is a drip/puddle on the pavement/floor AND check/maintain all fluid levels. After all, your new to you CRV is 7 years old and nothing performs/lasts mechanically perfect forever.......not even a Honda. Best of luck to ya.👍

I look at it this way........I would much rather do a little preventative maintenance on a Saturday afternoon, in my driveway, when all the auto parts stores are open, than do repairs on the side of the road, after dark, when all the parts stores are closed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks again for your advice! I agree that it's a good idea to know the basics of taking care of a car. Thanks for providing such a nice place for us to ask questions and share our experience and knowledge!

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
👍. Out of curiosity, how was your Carvana experience?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
👍. Out of curiosity, how was your Carvana experience?
It can be said to be smooth. The car feels good. For me, the cosmetic issue is minor enough to ignore. The representative who delivered the car was friendly and patient. He let me go on a test drive, and waited in the driveway until I was back. One issue that's worth attention, is the agent actually drove the car here, instead of delivering the car with a truck, as they promised. That resulted in an extra 31 miles and for the odometer agreement, the agent still insisted that I sign with the original mileage on it (which was 31 miles less than the actual). But he promised that the mileage for the 4,000-mile warranty will start at this new read. I considered it not a big deal and signed it.

Now I'm having this transmission leak... (I confirmed it using the method you recommended) Overall, Carvana indeed did a good job in saving someone's time, if not money (well in my case, the price is a little bit to the right on kbb, but still in the green range). I would still recommend it if you don't want to spend much time to shop around and haggle prices with a couple of dealers or owners. Afterall, other than the delivery method and the quality inspection, I feel good with the car and their service so far.

I reached out to them. They asked me to email the diagnostic report, which I did. I hope they won't change my view during the repairing process.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Was the inspection done in the 7 days? Could you have returned the vehicle?

I would appreciate hearing more about the carvana experience

Paying for the car? How come they drove it to you? They give a reason?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Was the inspection done in the 7 days? Could you have returned the vehicle?

I would appreciate hearing more about the carvana experience

Paying for the car? How come they drove it to you? They give a reason?
Yep. The inspection was done during the 7 days. I could have If I wanted to.
The reason the agent gave for driving the car to me was they didn't have enough trucks at the point. He said on that day, there were 2 trucks and 4 cars to be delivered, if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
In case you guys wonder what happens after... This transmission leak was settled. I brought it to a Honda Dealer. Dealer charged an inspection fee, a repair fee for 2 parts (the problem they found was different from what the repair shop found). They called the Silver Rock and dealt with them directly. All I needed to do was waiting :) I ended up not paying anything (SilverRock covered it all), not even a copay (called Carvana before and they promised the copay will be waived because the car they delivered to me had a problem), which could be deemed as a happy ending.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts