Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone added a gauge to their CRV? I added an oil pressure gauge, and I am having a tough time figuring out where to put the gauge.....maybe a steering column gauge holder of some sort? i know they make them, i haven't found one for a CRV yet.....

thanks.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Have you considered a OBD-II reader? I’m using a ScanGauge II and currently have it set to display boost, coolant temp, cold rad tank temp and tranny fluid temp. It plugs in to the OBD-II port under the dash and I have the display sitting on the dash.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you considered a OBD-II reader? I’m using a ScanGauge II and currently have it set to display boost, coolant temp, cold rad tank temp and tranny fluid temp. It plugs in to the OBD-II port under the dash and I have the display sitting on the dash.
yes, I considered it....but I wanted oil pressure, and odbII does not display it......so I put a sandwich on the oil filter and wired the tube up through firewall (sharing the port with the hvac temperature wire), and I think I am going to add the gauge to the dash ......i need to drill a 2 1/16hole, and I think that might be a great place for it.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
How about an “A” pillar mount.

Reactions: tglenn

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How about an “A” pillar mount.
that was a consideration.....the copper wire/tube was 72" long, though. Since the oil filter area is about as far away from the driver seat area as you could get in the engine, the tube is not going to be long enough to route and wire up to the a-pillar......

so, there is a blank area with nothing behind it, just to the right of the steering wheel, sort of immediately to the left of the radio. I think it will look nice and be visible from the driver position, and also relatively close to the radio or cig lighter wires to tap into for the light of the gauge.

it took a while to decide, adn that is why i posted on here....there is not really a good place to put a gauge for oil pressure and/or oil temp.

It would be nice to know the trans fluid and coolant temps, odbII seems like a great way to go.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Keep us posted with what you come up with.......mounting pics and oil pressure reading info would be great. Members, myself included, would like to know. (y)

Mechanical gauges (oil/water, pressure/temp) do pose mounting limitations.......that's why I mounted electrical pressure/temp gauges in some previously owned vehicles.

I guess Honda doesn't think oil pressure is important enough for most OBD-II readers to display.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
I did some checking, and the only way to get the oil pressure is if the vehicle already includes a sensor that reports oil pressure. It does not appear that Honda has included a oil pressure sensor in the CR-V.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did some checking, and the only way to get the oil pressure is if the vehicle already includes a sensor that reports oil pressure. It does not appear that Honda has included a oil pressure sensor in the CR-V.
I think this is common among many manufacturers......if you want the oil pressure reading, you have to add the sensor yourself.
So far, the gauge reads about 85psi when I first start the car , then as it warms, it drops down to 25 or 30 psi at idle.
I am working on mounting the gauge, so the copper 'tube' is disconnected at the moment, but when i get it mounted, i can give more readings.
I have a 2002 5 speed AWD, about 165,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Keep us posted with what you come up with.......mounting pics and oil pressure reading info would be great. Members, myself included, would like to know. (y)

Mechanical gauges (oil/water, pressure/temp) do pose mounting limitations.......that's why I mounted electrical pressure/temp gauges in some previously owned vehicles.

I guess Honda doesn't think oil pressure is important enough for most OBD-II readers to display.
View attachment 136043
Okay, i ran out to ace hardware and bought a hole-saw drill bit that was close to what the installation instructions recommended (2 1/16" was the recommendation, closest ACE hardware had was 2")......so I drilled the 2" hole and then used a grinding 'bit' to make the hole a little bigger.....

it was a nice install because the copper 'tube' that is attached to the sending unit/filter sandwich is completely hidden.

temp gauge readings are on initial startup (its about 40 degrees here today) and then when the engine was at full operating temperature/hot.

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,927 Posts
Okay, i ran out to ace hardware and bought a hole-saw drill bit that was close to what the installation instructions recommended (2 1/16" was the recommendation, closest ACE hardware had was 2")......so I drilled the 2" hole and then used a grinding 'bit' to make the hole a little bigger.....

it was a nice install because the copper 'tube' that is attached to the sending unit/filter sandwich is completely hidden.

temp gauge readings are on initial startup (its about 40 degrees here today) and then when the engine was at full operating temperature/hot.

Good job. :)

Looks pretty "old school" on a CRV dash though. :p Then again.. your CRV is an older model anway. :) I would have gone for a digital gauge.. but that's just the electrical engineer + aesthetics in me.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good job. :)

Looks pretty "old school" on a CRV dash though. :p Then again.. your CRV is an older model anway. :) I would have gone for a digital gauge.. but that's just the electrical engineer + aesthetics in me.
i wanted something simple.....and yea, its almost an 18 year old car, but I didn't pay a lot for it. I wanted a 5 speed AWD, and that is becoming tough to find unless you get a subaru or maybe a model or two of jeep.

I love this CRV for my needs. I live in the mountains, carry some gear sometimes, and I bigger guy - it is a great car so far and comfortable to drive.
It idles like a new car. A bit weak going up mountain passes, but what can I expect for a 2.4L 4 cylinder car.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Ditto on good job.(y)(y)

I'm thinking there probably is a factory electrical oil pressure sensor somewhere on the motor.......something turns the oil light off, right? Maybe Honda just uses some minimum oil pressure number for the dash warning light and calls it good from there.?‍♂

Are those numbers with 5W30?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ditto on good job.(y)(y)

I'm thinking there probably is a factory electrical oil pressure sensor somewhere on the motor.......something turns the oil light off, right? Maybe Honda just uses some minimum oil pressure number for the dash warning light and calls it good from there.?‍♂

Are those numbers with 5W30?
yes, mobile 1 full syn 5W30........yea, the oil pressure switch for dummy light might have worked, but I already had a sandwich on the filter, so now i have both the actual pressure reading and the oil light works too......

·
Registered
31 Posts
yes, I considered it....but I wanted oil pressure, and odbII does not display it......so I put a sandwich on the oil filter and wired the tube up through firewall (sharing the port with the hvac temperature wire), and I think I am going to add the gauge to the dash ......i need to drill a 2 1/16hole, and I think that might be a great place for it.
A word to the wise: I installed a mechanical oil pressure gauge (with nylon tube) in an old 1969 Datsun. One day, on the way to K-Mart, the tube broke at the engine block. By the time I got to K-Mart, about 3 miles away, the oil had been all pumped out of the car onto the ground and all over the engine compartment. Fortunately, I had the old electrical sending unit in the glovebox. I bought some Vice-Grips and a gallon of oil in the store and was able to replace the sending unit, add oil, and drive home. I'm really glad the other end of the tube didn't break or I'd have a gallon of oil on the floor by my feet.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
A word to the wise: I installed a mechanical oil pressure gauge (with nylon tube) in an old 1969 Datsun. One day, on the way to K-Mart, the tube broke at the engine block. By the time I got to K-Mart, about 3 miles away, the oil had been all pumped out of the car onto the ground and all over the engine compartment. Fortunately, I had the old electrical sending unit in the glovebox. I bought some Vice-Grips and a gallon of oil in the store and was able to replace the sending unit, add oil, and drive home. I'm really glad the other end of the tube didn't break or I'd have a gallon of oil on the floor by my feet.
I upgraded to copper tubing, although I hear it can get hot and break over time, too. I tried to route it away from the exhaust as much as possible. all the common auto parts stores sell the EQUUS copper or nylon tubing separately- my kit came with Nylon. I think stainless braided is the best, but i didn't want to drop $50 or whatever it costs for stainless that was 6' long.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
There are advantages to electrical gauges. IIRC, I read at the AutoMeter site a long time ago that one (electrical or mechanical) is as accurate as the other.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts