Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me know if my thinking is correct. It seems that some of us have the dilution issue and some of us don't. So it can't be a design issue. It's more likely to be a production issue to me. Variations in material used, tolerances and assembling differences could be the culprit of the problem. So I would like to know how can you find out where your CRV was built and if you have the dilution problem or not. This way if we have many responses, we might be able to detect a trend. Does it make sense?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Canada 10/17
Oil dilution and heat problems (although heat is somewhat better after PCM update early Oct.)

I really don't think you will find anything definitive from this. I'm sure H engineers already looked into their parts sourcing for clues.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Honda CRV LE AWD Turbo
made in Canada April 2018
has "the fix" done yesterday.
No gas smells before. No other symptons.
Heat gauge needle is closer to mid-range now. Outside temp is 8 degrees celsius.

Lethbridge Alberta Canada

·
Registered
164 Posts
AFAIK all EX-L AWD units are made in Ontario, and mine does have the fuel dilution. The heat seems to work okay but I do remember the engine temperature dropping on some really cold days last winter. FWIW, I don't see a pattern as the fuel dilution/heating problems aren't limited to EX-L AWD units or units made in Ontario.

·
Registered
152 Posts
2017 - no guarantee how accurate this list is.
• 5 Door 24LX (2WD/E.LIBERTY)
• 5 Door 24LX (2WD/INDIANA)
• 5 Door 24LX (2WD/ONT/AEP ENGINE)
• 5 Door 24LX (2WD/ONT/HCM ENGINE)
• 5 Door 24LX (AWD/E.LIBERTY)
• 5 Door 24LX (AWD/INDIANA)
• 5 Door 24LX (AWD/ONT/AEP ENGINE)
• 5 Door 24LX (AWD/ONT/HCM ENGINE)
• 5 Door EX (2WD/E.LIBERTY)
• 5 Door EX (2WD/INDIANA)
• 5 Door EX (2WD/ONTARIO)
• 5 Door EX (AWD/E.LIBERTY)
• 5 Door EX (AWD/INDIANA)
• 5 Door EX (AWD/ONTARIO)
• 5 Door EXL (2WD/E.LIBERTY)
• 5 Door EXL (2WD/INDIANA)
• 5 Door EXL (2WD/NAVIGATION/E.LIBERTY)
• 5 Door EXL (2WD/NAVIGATION/INDIANA)
• 5 Door EXL (2WD/NAVIGATION/ONTARIO)
• 5 Door EXL (2WD/ONTARIO)
• 5 Door EXL (AWD/E.LIBERTY)
• 5 Door EXL (AWD/INDIANA)
• 5 Door EXL (AWD/NAV/INDIANA)
• 5 Door EXL (AWD/NAVIGATION/E.LIBERTY)
• 5 Door EXL (AWD/NAVIGATION/ONTARIO)
• 5 Door EXL (AWD/ONTARIO)
• 5 Door TOURIN (2WD/E.LIBERTY)
• 5 Door TOURIN (2WD/INDIANA)
• 5 Door TOURIN (2WD/ONTARIO)
• 5 Door TOURIN (AWD/E.LIBERTY)
• 5 Door TOURIN (AWD/INDIANA)
• 5 Door TOURIN (AWD/ONTARIO)

·
Registered
166 Posts
- 2018 AWD Touring, <2000 miles
- September 2018
- Ontario, Canada
- Sold and garaged in Virginia, USA
- No oil dilution noted on dipstick but slight gasoline smell on dipstick oil (as expected with this engine). No gas smell in cabin or exhaust
- No heat issue, warms rapidly with gentle driving, but doesn't heat much at 30F while only idling

Sent from my Samsung Tab A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
All in my signature.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Let me know if my thinking is correct. It seems that some of us have the dilution issue and some of us don't. So it can't be a design issue. It's more likely to be a production issue to me. Variations in material used, tolerances and assembling differences could be the culprit of the problem. So I would like to know how can you find out where your CRV was built and if you have the dilution problem or not. This way if we have many responses, we might be able to detect a trend. Does it make sense?
I already went down this rabbit hole in my quest to bring objectivity to an emotional discussion.

NHTSA Complaints Analysis https://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=189867

I haven't updated it in awhile, but you can easily see the timing of complaints is Nov/dec and concentrated in northern states (higher sales and/or more incidents). Also it does impact all 3 NA plants.

Enjoy.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
2017 EX-L

Gas in oil
Elevated oil level
Thermostat seems off. It doesn't cool very well, but setting to 68 helped, when it's really ~75 in the car.
Seems to heat ok, but it doesn't get cold here. ~55F lowest outside temp so far.

Edit: Thanks for letting me know where to check where it was made. It just says "Mfd. by Honda Mfg. of Indiana, LLC" 07/'17

Edit2: 7FA = Indiana

·
Registered
2 Posts
2018 EX - Assembly point Greensburg, IN and engine USA
I had the oil changed at 4200 miles because of the "gassy" smell of the oil.

I see in another thread the reference to a "TSB" that is out for the CRV. Can anyone identify it ??

To FASTFJR: You mentioned that you are taking your in for a "FIX". Can you tell us more about it ?

I really like my CRV....but this oil problem is NOT good.....even the Turbo runs in the oil.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
5,200 Posts
2017 EX-L

Gas in oil
Elevated oil level
Thermostat seems off. It doesn't cool very well, but setting to 68 helped, when it's really ~75 in the car.
Seems to heat ok, but it doesn't get cold here. ~55F lowest outside temp so far.

I don't know how to tell where it was built but will look around/find out.
Look at the sticker on the driver's door jamb.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.