Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I pulled up against a raised grassy embankment and the door got stuck in the grass. When my daughter tried to force the door closed something popped and the plastic piece by the bottom of the door pulled out a bit. I recovered a plastic trim clip and pooped it back in, but noticed that in addition to the clip the plastic had been 'glued' to the metal door by some type of adhesive (which now doesn't provide enough 'stick' once it popped off). What kind of adhesive would you recommend going from metal (the door) to the plastic trim.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
3M makes an automotive grade exterior double-sided tape that is really sticky and easily trimmed/cut to the shape needed. Any auto parts store, even Walmart, carries it. Comes in various widths.

·
Registered
425 Posts
i came across a youtube on how to fix that. It will show you how to completely remove the black plastic and replace the plastic bracket inside and put back. Seems easy enough, the hardest part is the glue.
or I would use/add epoxy on that portion you indicated to permanently glue that part if its not that bad.

·
Premium Member
6,154 Posts
3m foam adhesive or double sided any hardware store sells it also alcohol 70% or higher, the higher the better. clean the area for a better connection and hold firm for 30 sec's when sticking it

Reactions: awmdlmcrv11

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
The 3M black double sided tape is the right one. Don't use the white foam one!
And yes the instructions are right, these things set like glue. You need to leave them unmolested for 12 hours for the adhesive to cure. (Clean area with alcohol first)

Reactions: awmdlmcrv11

·
Registered
425 Posts
I have used this... be careful bc it is strong. After wiping with alcohol, make the surfaces warm with hairdryer... (warmer the better) This may be hard to apply for your purpose, the one they used in that youtube provably easier to apply in very tight situation. up to you.

·
Premium Member
6,154 Posts
the gray foam is the Proper one to use and 90% alcohol. as long as it is a Summer day you can apply it do not need a hell of a Lot if asked the trick is keeping that firm Pressure on for that 30 sec's to a Minute you can slide a thin tool to place on the tape guess never done it will be the most difficult task for you. more or less it is done. by Now

·
Registered
249 Posts
Hey, I was just about to look up this issue myself. I have the OEM window visors installed and the passenger side one recently came undone, not completely just maybe 7-9 inches or so from the front end. Fortunately, the OEM visors also use metal clips to hold them in place so the front most metal clip is holding the visor down but from that clip forward the visor is raised off the door frame due the the adhesive failure. I was trying to find the same adhesive used in that application so I can fix it.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
I don't have the Honda window visors, so don't know if the tape used to attach them is just double sided tape (thin) or a thicker "padded" double sided tape. Whichever it is I'd go buy a roll of a similar tape from a hardware or possibly office supply store. And then I'd completely remove the visor, clean the old tape off the car and the visor, and clean both surfaces with alcohol before reinstalling the visor.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I don't have the Honda window visors, so don't know if the tape used to attach them is just double sided tape (thin) or a thicker "padded" double sided tape. Whichever it is I'd go buy a roll of a similar tape from a hardware or possibly office supply store. And then I'd completely remove the visor, clean the old tape off the car and the visor, and clean both surfaces with alcohol before reinstalling the visor.
Go to Autozone or another parts store and get 3M Grey mounting tape.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts